Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Correct... but if your D is wiped by the middle of the third, you risk a comeback.  I'd rather go 7-10 and a score and have a shutdown D for 4 quarters.

Yeah it's a philosophy thing. That's why the staff has to be on the same page. That's why ppg and the like is a misleading stat in terms of measuring success. Points per play and drive efficiency stats do a better job and showing what's happening. 

In our example, scoring quick and often can force a teams hand to make riskier decisions and play wide open. This allows the defense an opportunity to create turnovers and blow a game wide open. But like you said, if an offense goes flat, and the other team catches fire, it could end up in a comeback scenario. 2013 had a few of those games.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I think they folded due to the combination of tiring and the demoralizing effect that a long sequence of impotent 3 and outs has.  You might be tiring your defense faster, but you are also demoralizing the other team when the score is piling on.  That said, tempo does not necessarily mean scoring in 3 plays within the span of a minute.  Personally, I think drives of 8-10 plays executed as fast as possible does more to harm the opponent's defense (and team morale overall) than it does yours.  Of course, the point there is scoring TD's instead of FG's, and not allowing the defense to substitute.

What I am absolutely tired of is this hurry up to line up, then wait 30 more seconds to snap while Gus and co. play peek-a-boo with the defense.  Keep the substitutions to a minimum, and keep the tempo up.  Spread the defense out and make them think more about what you are doing, instead of trying to do pre-snap dissections, and then give the defense a steady dose of not enough time to adjust at all.

Yup... we're pretty much on the same page.

"What I am absolutely tired of is this hurry up to line up, then wait 30 more seconds to snap while Gus and co. play peek-a-boo with the defense.  Keep the substitutions to a minimum, and keep the tempo up "

This is where Gus is trying to finesse his play calling and 'get cute'.  The SEC plays so fast and is so physical, a slight mismatch is overcome by speed and physicality.  Look at Vandy for crying out loud - even they have players these days.  

I liked it best when we crossed the 50 - we go HUNH and that really taxed the opponent.  Also, no more substitutions by the D against us.  Heck we made I think 8 yds against OU on one play when we had 10 guys on the field if I recall correctly.  I want the OC to control the O - HUNH timing, play calling, personnel, the whole thing.  Gus needs to be a HC or we don't need him.  

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Gus needs to be a HC or we don't need him.  

What's sad/funny is that what would be the best OC hire we could make would be to hire a new HC and make Gus the OC.  Not saying Gus is a bad HC... he's done a great job at most of the important HC elements, but when he can put 18 hours a day in on just running the offense, like he did when he was an OC, I'd put him up against anyone.

13 minutes ago, Beaker said:

"What I am absolutely tired of is this hurry up to line up, then wait 30 more seconds to snap while Gus and co. play peek-a-boo with the defense.  Keep the substitutions to a minimum, and keep the tempo up "

This is where Gus is trying to finesse his play calling and 'get cute'.  The SEC plays so fast and is so physical, a slight mismatch is overcome by speed and physicality.  Look at Vandy for crying out loud - even they have players these days.  

I liked it best when we crossed the 50 - we go HUNH and that really taxed the opponent.  Also, no more substitutions by the D against us.  Heck we made I think 8 yds against OU on one play when we had 10 guys on the field if I recall correctly.  I want the OC to control the O - HUNH timing, play calling, personnel, the whole thing.  Gus needs to be a HC or we don't need him.  

I agree 100%... Ive notice and im sure every DC in the SEC has notice that GUS has a group of receivers for passing plays and a group of running plays. Hes getting too predictable.  Except when we run the COX-CAT offense.. Hell I dont even thinks Gus knows what hes doing then.....  the best play calling this year to me was the Ole Miss games. I think the TE even caught a TD pass.... 

theplainsman.com

COLUMN: Post-Lashlee: What Auburn needs on offense

By Nathan King - Sports Reporter | 23 hours ago
stidham

Most Auburn fans, being either die-hard or casual, will all have differing opinions on the tenure of former offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee. Lashlee had been with the Tigers since their magical 2013 season, the year in which Auburn was solidified as a perennial power for the first time since Cam Newton prowled campus. With Nick Marshall at the helm, the Auburn offense could be described as explosive, powerful and exhilarating. In the two years following Marshall’s departure, the once unstoppable “Auburn Fast” offense has stumbled.

In 2015, the Tigers flirted with a .500 record, heavily due to stagnant offense. (See: averaged 20 points in losses and 27 points for the season) Granted, Auburn suffered from injuries to Sean White, who stepped in as a freshman after Heisman-hopeful junior Jeremy Johnson performed poorly in the early season. Auburn improved in 2016, averaging 31 points a game, but two recognizable themes lingered: inconsistent quarterback play throughout and embarrassing effort in losses.

One thing was crystal clear in the 2016 season: Gus Malzahn had little to no grasp on the best rotation for his quarterback circus. Any time anyone under center would get into any sort of rhythm against the now national champion Clemson Tigers, they were pulled from the game in favor of a cold quarterback from the bench. It was not until the offense was handed over to Rhett Lashlee after the LSU game that the offense really flourished. (In the three games against Power 5 opponents under Malzahn’s play calling the offense averaged 16 points per game) Between all the disapprovals and unfortunate injuries, Sean White had an incredible outing this past season for the Tigers. The redshirt sophomore was the most efficient quarterback in the conference until the loss in Athens to Georgia. White’s inconsistency derived from his injuries, meaning backups Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin III were needed. 

Johnson’s playing time was sparse, only really coming into the rotation during the Clemson QB nightmare, Iron Bowl, and blowout mop-up duty. John Franklin III was a real asset to the Auburn offense when all starters were healthy, serving as a swift change of pace from White, torching defenses with his speed and elusiveness.

The issues arose when White wasn’t available. The first instance of this occurred when Auburn hosted Vanderbilt. John Franklin III was named the starter right before kickoff, puzzling many. Franklin passed for a whopping 9 yards in the first half, and Auburn tallied an abysmal 124 yards, trailing Vandy 13-10. When the second half begun, Sean White led the Auburn offense right down the field for a score on the first drive. This resurfaced the theme of confusion and led the Jordan-Hare crowd to question the ability of Lashlee and Malzahn to orchestrate a game plan when any sort of variation might occur. After the nail-biter against Vanderbilt, Auburn mustered 13 points a game against the FBS for the remainder of the season. 

Sean White played hurt in the loss at Georgia, did not play against Alabama, and broke his arm on the first drive against Oklahoma. These ill-fated injuries plagued the entire Auburn offense, which was no fault of Lashlee’s. The frustrations laid in the minds of the common Auburn fan, who could often predict a Tiger loss early on, when it was apparent that Auburn only came to play on one side of the ball.

Auburn averaged nearly 39 points per game in Lashlee’s first two seasons, then declined to 29 PPG in the last two seasons. Lashlee’s departure was of his own accord, but it would make sense for Gus Malzahn to have to push him out. Malzahn’s position on the hot seat fluctuated in 2016, but ultimately ended with the 51-year-old coach feeling the heat, and needing a change. Lashlee, for all his efforts and everything he’s done under Malzahn, was that change. Quarterback development was a disappointment at times over the past few seasons, and Malzahn knows he can’t afford to waste the potential of Jarrett Stidham. If Stidham busts, Malzahn is likely out.

The next offensive coordinator on the Plains needs to have his own identity, and needs to get very well-acquainted with #36 and #21. If Auburn is to succeed with Stidham at the helm, it needs to start with the SEC’s leading rusher and his fleet-footed sidekick. Kamryn Pettway spearheaded Auburn’s six-game midseason winning streak, molding into a powerful, and sometimes unstoppable runner. Kerryon Johnson played best when spelling Pettway, and nearly gave Auburn two thousand-yard rushers. Lashlee’s play calling wasn’t genius, it simply enforced the importance of running the ball, which is what the modern Auburn Tigers do best.

The cat is out of the bag now: Gus Malzahn is not the “offensive genius” he was once heralded as. Lashlee lived in Malzahn’s shadow, which likely played a large role in his departure, seeing as the young coach has his first opportunity to make his own name. Lashlee’s replacement is tasked with developing the most hyped quarterback in Auburn since Cam Newton, and fulfilling the monstrous expectations that come with returning most of an offense’s starting lineup. And he needs to do so in his own way, and possibly even deviate heavily from the Malzahn style.

We could see a very different Auburn team in 2017. In fact, most fans hope this is the case on the offensive end. At next season’s end, we could be looking at another subpar ending, with Malzahn on the hot seat again. The sky is the limit for Jarrett Stidham and the next offensive coordinator however, and there’s no reason to believe that Auburn can’t soar to the top of the SEC with a dominating defense, and an offense hungry to earn their stripes. 

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

The problem with Gus trying to "get cute" is that his offense is too simple, and too predicated on eye candy for that.  Of course, his offense is simple because it has to be, as you cannot run a complicated offense at high tempo without likely making critical mistakes.  When you give the defense (and their coaches) time to see what you are doing pre-snap, they can better put the things they saw on film to use in defending you.  The eye candy and long-developing plays become a liability at that point.

Ideally, the OC would control the offense.  However, Gus is unlikely to have an OC actually doing everything, and that is not what we hired Gus for anyway.  Gus was not hired because of his proven track record as an FBS head coach; Gus was hired to bring his offense back and run it.  What Gus needs in the OC position is someone that can fill in his gaps, provide perspective from outside his echo chamber, and coordinate the offense into a cohesive whole.  What Gus does not need in the OC position is someone that is going to generate friction because he cannot do everything "his way" because Gus remains heavily-involved in the offense, because he thinks things need to be done differently, or that the wheel needs to be reinvented.  Gus needs a knowledgeable and experienced collaborator.  He does not need someone to try to be the Will Muschamp of our offense.

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Reckon we can lure Cam Newton away from his current day job? He is a pretty good football player. Let's give him a shot at OC.

I've toyed with joking about this for days... Cam gets tired of getting beat up by linebackers aiming for his head so he decides to get beat up by fans on message boards instead. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I've toyed with joking about this for days... Cam gets tired of getting beat up by linebackers aiming for his head so he decides to get beat up by fans on message boards instead. 

I think we could provide better protection for him than the Panther's O-Line. :thumbsdown:

4 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Reckon we can lure Cam Newton away from his current day job? He is a pretty good football player. Let's give him a shot at OC.

Nah, We all know that we could throw the ball with Chris Todd. He could probably get Gus to remember what he did back in 09.

Lincoln riley, huh? I reckon he is smart enough to realize that JF3 could be his Dede Westbrook of AU. That right there would be a step in the right direction.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lincoln riley, huh? I reckon he is smart enough to realize that JF3 could be his Dede Westbrook of AU. That right there would be a step in the right direction.

Is that the latest rumor?

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Is that the latest rumor?

Some claim he has an offer that he hasn't turned down yet.

15 hours ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

logo.png

I heard that Sterling Beer used water out of Lake Erie back in the day that you could literally throw a match in the lake, and it would start a fire on the water!

on a serious note, we need to get this done before tomorrow. This coming weekend has a lot riding on it. Gus, my challenge to you is to make a smart quality hire please. Over and out till Gus does his work and makes the hire he needs.

Just now, doc4aday said:

on a serious note, we need to get this done before tomorrow. This coming weekend has a lot riding on it. Gus, my challenge to you is to make a smart quality hire please. Over and out till Gus does his work and makes the hire he needs.

We're pretty much locked down our offensive class.  This weekend is ALL about D. Hiring an OC isn't going to matter much at all.  In fact, it could be the reason we don't make a hire by tomorrow, because we are focused on making the weekend the best it can be.

1 minute ago, selias said:

I'd be thrilled if we hired Gilbert as OC.

Either of the top two trending candidates would be great hires... Gilbert is far more realistic.  Still, I would be surprised if we don't hire someone great who no one has mentioned.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Either of the top two trending candidates would be great hires... Gilbert is far more realistic.  Still, I would be surprised if we don't hire someone great who no one has mentioned.

Gilbert is at the top of my, admittedly meaningless, list of potential OCs. KB would be great but we all know who runs the media in Alabama and I have a feeling it would end up being a 3-ring circus. Yurcich seemed good but I think air-raid when I think Okie State. Helfrich...no, just no. Riley, after seeing some of the should-be felons on OU's team, that hire will make me feel a little dirty too.

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

How so?

The recruiting for offense is set right now.  Gus has all the time in the world to make a top hire.  He shouldn't feel like he's under the gun just because of this weekend, because his OC hire will have no effect one way or the other on the outcome of Big Cat weekend.

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

How so?

The recruiting for offense is set right now.  Gus has all the time in the world to make a top hire.  He shouldn't feel like he's under the gun just because of this weekend, because his OC hire will have no effect one way or the other on the outcome of Big Cat weekend.

Yeah, I agree. Rushing for the sake of a recruiting weekend smells of disaster.  Wait and get the best you can get. Recruits come and go.

Lincoln Riley hmm?  That'd be great, but what would his rationale be for leaving a perennial top ten, blue blood name, that will always get the benefit of the doubt (see 2004), plays in an easier conference with worse defenses and has a much easier shot at the playoffs every year?  Is it he needs to prove himself against SEC defenses? I think he's done that in 2 sugar bowls.  I just don't see what his motivation would be to come here as opposed to staying where he is.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Archived