Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

That's crazy that we are down to Riley and Gilbert and backup. How did we get here? I know Gilbert was talked about early..then we started to move on to Yurcich.

So is Gilbert simply a final backup on our A minus list? And how did we even get to Riley? He seems way out there...

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

Might be a stupid question but what kind of offence does Gilbert run? sorry dont know much about the guy

Appears to be a Briles disciple so maybe a Baylor clone.

Just now, autiger88 said:

Might be a stupid question but what kind of offence does Gilbert run? sorry dont know much about the guy

Runs a spread offense, but that can mean 1,000,000 different things these days. He focuses more on RPO (run/pass option) plays rather than Read Option plays. Essentially the same concept, except the 2nd option is a pass instead of QB run. 

See this YouTube video for a good example of his Offense:

Just now, steeleagle said:

That's crazy that we are down to Riley and Gilbert and backup. How did we get here? I know Gilbert was talked about early..then we started to move on to Yurcich.

So is Gilbert simply a final backup on our A minus list? And how did we even get to Riley? He seems way out there...

Maybe we really didn't know the list and as someone said yesterday, Yurcich name could have been leaked to get a raise. Happens all the time.

24 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No one needs to get to worried. Gus already has a fool-proof plan B in place. One of the young GA's has agreed if Gus can not get anyone else, he will take the job and call whatever Gus tells him. He said his selling point to being picked was probably his remark to Gus about how much he admired his play calling especially the FB whirly-bird play. :-)

i laughed out loud and thought it was funny until i realized that this was something that coach whirlybird would consider a great idea...now, i am scared

As long as it is not Chip Lindsey out of the names being thrown around I will be happy.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

It's funny that people think they actually have a clue where we are in the process. For all we know, Gus could be interviewing 10 candidates today, or we could be in day 3 of contract negotiations with someone we offered on Tuesday. Heck, we could have already hired someone and they could just be wrapping things up with their current team before we make an announcement.

I love how people think the process is pick a candidate, offer them the job, and they say "yes" or "no"... if "no", repeat with next, lesser candidate on the list.

Auburn has put in the effort to get a big time OC, most calls have not gotten past the agents.  A lot of guys are in good situations right now.  

4 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Runs a spread offense, but that can mean 1,000,000 different things these days. He focuses more on RPO (run/pass option) plays rather than Read Option plays. Essentially the same concept, except the 2nd option is a pass instead of QB run. 

Sounds good in theory, but I'm not sold. Forcing your Oline to pass block on running plays seems like a recipe for disaster in the SEC. If the RPO is just used occasionally I'm sure it would be fine. Using it as a base would have SEC DLs salivating. This would all but eliminate the road grading blocks that we are used to seeing in our run game and are generally required for a successful rushing attack in the SEC. Putting the OL on their heels for run blocking is setting them up for failure IYAM. Again, I wouldn't mind it being added to our current scheme, but as a base I'd be very concerned. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

As long as it is not Chip Lindsey out of the names being thrown around I will be happy.

The only way I'll be happy is if it IS Chip Lindsey.  If it's not, me and my tens of dollars of donations will go elsewhere.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Auburn has put in the effort to get a big time OC, most calls have not gotten past the agents.  A lot of guys are in good situations right now.  

That is always the hardest hurdle. Auburn might be a better team in a better conference, but if they are in a place where they are happy, it takes a lot to make someone uproot their family.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Aren't you the one that said "news at 6"*

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The only way I'll be happy is if it IS Chip Lindsey.  If it's not, me and my tens of dollars of donations will go elsewhere.

I DONT BELIEVE YOU!

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Outta LIKES now so :clap:.

maybe he is waiting until the guys start to show up tomorrow before making the announcement and letting them be the first to know.. as a recruit, I would like that because the coach is showing that he cares more about you than the fan base

Just now, autigersj said:

Some RPO would have helped Sean White some I believe. It would be nice to have quick throw on a zone read play since he was never a real threat to run.

It would be nice also to not run the ball as much as GA Tech and the service academies.

11 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Aren't you the one that said "news at 6"*

I suspect that was a social experiment. :dead:

20 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Based on the video attached I can see why Gus might like him.  Ran almost every first down and used two different quarterbacks in the game.

I do think Gilbert is a good pick and has the ability to do some good things with our offense, but I was not crazy about everything I saw in this video.  Looked way to much like last years offense but against what turned out to be a very mediocre ND defense.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I think, and I don't wanna speak for others, that fans like to put together their own personal short list. Not necessarily viable candidates, but more coaches that, in their minds, would/could make good candidates. 

No I'm good with that. I thought it seemed like some were asking let's for example say you, would some coaches be interested in taking a job with us....I certainly understand putting out guys that you hope for or whatnot

Archived