Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Ok sports fans. Since the search for the new OC is starting to remind me of the starting QB competition from last season, I think I've got it figured out. Gus is going to hire another protege to run Gus 's offense. We will have a three way battle during the spring, and most of fall camp to see who gets to call the plays. 5 days before the first game the new guy will be given the job. However, in the first game Kodi, Herb Hand, and the new guy will alternate calling plays. In the second half Rodney Garner will get a turn, and he will call a couple plays that his team ran in high school. In the second game the new OC will take over all play calling, and we will beat up on the Little Sisters of The Poor, and declare ourselves the most prolific offense in the SEC once again. Sound about right?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'ole Walt reminds us the only candidate that has actually interviewed is Yurcich. Good to remember when "sources" and their gossip and rumors start making you believe we're down to plan D.

http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2017/1/19/14319776/auburn-offensive-coordinator-search-update-19-january-2017

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

Ok sports fans. Since the search for the new OC is starting to remind me of the starting QB competition from last season, I think I've got it figured out. Gus is going to hire another protege to run Gus 's offense. We will have a three way battle during the spring, and most of fall camp to see who gets to call the plays. 5 days before the first game the new guy will be given the job. However, in the first game Kodi, Herb Hand, and the new guy will alternate calling plays. In the second half Rodney Garner will get a turn, and he will call a couple plays that his team ran in high school. In the second game the new OC will take over all play calling, and we will beat up on the Little Sisters of The Poor, and declare ourselves the most prolific offense in the SEC once again. Sound about right?

Well... There certainly is precedent.

12 minutes ago, autigersj said:

Some RPO would have helped Sean White some I believe. It would be nice to have quick throw on a zone read play since he was never a real threat to run.

Except for the 163 yards he got on the ground?

I agree, the RPO would be a very nice addition to our offense.  Haven't seen much of it since late in 2014.

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

'ole Walt reminds us the only candidate that has actually interviewed is Yurcich. Good to remember when "sources" and their gossip and rumors start making you believe we're down to plan D.

http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2017/1/19/14319776/auburn-offensive-coordinator-search-update-19-january-2017

Cheers for the voice of reason

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Except for the 163 yards he got on the ground?

I agree, the RPO would be a very nice addition to our offense.  Haven't seen much of it since late in 2014.

Addition yes....base? Bad idea. Agree or disagree?

1 minute ago, FoundationEagle said:

Addition yes....base? Bad idea. Agree or disagree?

Agree completely. I actually like the base we have... if we would mix up first down more. Add some RPO and a few more deep strikes and it becomes a potent offense that still does a good job of managing the clock.

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Let's re-predict the time this thread will hit 100.  I'm going to go with 7:30 EST, today.

Heck, I doubt it will last past 2:30 EST

Yurcich is only guy to interview? That's BS. Nobody knows if that is true. The Media was so far behind on that it's a joke anyway. By the time they knew he was already on second interview supposedly. The Media knows almost nothing.

11 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Except the Little Sisters are Clemson

Just now, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Yurcich is only guy to interview? That's BS. Nobody knows if that is true. The Media was so far behind on that it's a joke anyway. By the time they knew he was already on second interview supposedly. The Media knows almost nothing.

At the same time, nobody knows if it's not true... or if it was a second interview (that part I actually doubt, second interviews in coaching RARELY end in a candidate pulling their name). 

Agreed... the Media and everyone else know almost nothing. I think that's the point the article was trying to make.

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Except the Little Sisters are Clemson

My bad. I had the first and second game mixed up. Thank God for small favors. Hate to pour salt in an old wound, but no matter how I try to rationalize what happened in that Clemson game, and the week's leading up to it. I'm still at a loss trying to figure out just what the hell that I witnessed. 

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Agree completely. I actually like the base we have... if we would mix up first down more. Add some RPO and a few more deep strikes and it becomes a potent offense that still does a good job of managing the clock.

I would rather see tempo and that 5th quarter Gus mentions in his book.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

I would rather see tempo and that 5th quarter Gus mentions in his book.

I'm good with getting the tempo up, as long as we keep it at least 50% on the ground. We saw, even with the stellar D we had this year, that if you don't give them some rest, they fold in the 4th. 3 and score is just as bad for a D's stamina as 3 and out.  

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

In the latest OC search news, Gus spent yesterday in the air as he visited Joey Gatewood in Florida and Devon Hunter in Virginia. 

Cool. Gatewood will make a great OC.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm good with getting the tempo up, as long as we keep it at least 50% on the ground. We saw, even with the stellar D we had this year, that if you don't give them some rest, they fold in the 4th. 3 and score is just as bad for a D's stamina as 3 and out.  

3 and score atleast ends with points in your favor. Going 3 and out only puts you in a situation where you lost a possession. 

Just now, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

3 and score atleast ends with points in your favor. Going 3 and out only puts you in a situation where you lost a possession. 

Correct... but if your D is wiped by the middle of the third, you risk a comeback.  I'd rather go 7-10 and a score and have a shutdown D for 4 quarters.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think they folded due to the combination of tiring and the demoralizing effect that a long sequence of impotent 3 and outs has.  You might be tiring your defense faster, but you are also demoralizing the other team when the score is piling on.  That said, tempo does not necessarily mean scoring in 3 plays within the span of a minute.  Personally, I think drives of 8-10 plays executed as fast as possible does more to harm the opponent's defense (and team morale overall) than it does yours.  Of course, the point there is scoring TD's instead of FG's, and not allowing the defense to substitute.

What I am absolutely tired of is this hurry up to line up, then wait 30 more seconds to snap while Gus and co. play peek-a-boo with the defense.  Keep the substitutions to a minimum, and keep the tempo up.  Spread the defense out and make them think more about what you are doing, instead of trying to do pre-snap dissections, and then give the defense a steady dose of not enough time to adjust at all.

Archived