Respect for the office of President

TexasTiger

We're asked to respect the Office when the person who will hold it considers it a step down:

"

Trump made "enormous sacrifices," Conway said. "He actually gave up more money, more power, more prestige, more position than he will have."
5:17 AM - 20 Jan 2017
179 RETWEETS243 LIKES

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

We're asked to respect the Office when the person who will hold it considers it a step down:

"

Trump made "enormous sacrifices," Conway said. "He actually gave up more money, more power, more prestige, more position than he will have."
179 RETWEETS243 LIKES

Actually, yes. He didn't HAVE to do this. He's 70 years old. He could have just chosen to play golf and jet around the world w/ his model wife. 

Now, if you really want to take a step down, from a higher pace ,  like Obama... 

Just now, AURaptor said:

Actually, yes. He didn't HAVE to do this. He's 70 years old. He could have just chosen to play golf and jet around the world w/ his model wife. 

Now, if you really want to take a step down, from a higher pace ,  like Obama... 

Either respond to the actual comment or go away.

"He actually gave up more money, more power, more prestige, more position than he will have."

So this is your belief?

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Either respond to the actual comment or go away.

"He actually gave up more money, more power, more prestige, more position than he will have."

So this is your belief?

It's a mixed bag. The 'salary ' of President , which he has said he won't take, and will donate , vs having to step down from his position in private business, yes. Prestige ? Objectively, he's now part of an incredibly elite # of Americans. So no. But he'll take far more abuse from the media and the public than he would had he remained a private citizen. Power ? No. Being CiC wields enormous power. 

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

"

179 RETWEETS243 LIKES

I have ZERO respect for Trump. And anyone who believes that he gave up more money, more power and more prestige as a sacrifice to lead this country is someone whose ignorance is bigger than Trump's ego. He isn't divesting, he is sacrificing nothing. This is all about his ego and quite possibly about how much control Russia has over his financial security. My disgust for Trump goes beyond my dislike or disagreements with Republican politics. He is a complete waste of oxygen and unfit for such a noble office. I do not accept him as my president and never will.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

My disgust for Trump goes beyond my dislike or disagreements with Republican politics. He is a complete waste of oxygen and unfit for such a noble office. I do not accept him as my president and never will.

Those views are just as devisive as the ones you hate from Trump. Many of us don't like him personally, but that does not negate his position nor our ability to recognize it. Your unwillingness to support the position of president seems bitter and juvenile. I personally hope he is a roaring success. I don't hope that because I like him but because I love America. 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I have ZERO respect for Trump. And anyone who believes that he gave up more money, more power and more prestige as a sacrifice to lead this country is someone whose ignorance is bigger than Trump's ego. He isn't divesting, he is sacrificing nothing. This is all about his ego and quite possibly about how much control Russia has over his financial security. My disgust for Trump goes beyond my dislike or disagreements with Republican politics. He is a complete waste of oxygen and unfit for such a noble office. I do not accept him as my president and never will.

I was hoping he would list Hillary's redeeming qualities.  Should have taken three words or less.

18 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He gave up more money and perhaps more autonomy.

He did not give up more power, prestige or position.  Not even close.

Well yeah, running for  offìce IS sorta asking for it... losing autonomy is a trade off, though. And not just for 4 - 8 years either. 

Trump is the 1st citizen ( non gov employee ) to ascend to the WH since...

George Washington.

pretty damn historic 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AURaptor said:

Well yeah, running for  offìce IS sorta asking for it... losing autonomy is a trade off, though. And not just for 4 - 8 years either. 

Trump is the 1st citizen ( non gov employee ) to ascend to the WH since...

George Washington.

pretty damn historic 

Wasn't Washington technically a gov't employee too?  Previous job:  Commander in Chief of the Continental Army.

Continental Army... not a US govt thing.

But if you want to claim that, then Donald Trump really is the first citizen president – ever! !! 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

Poor baby. I'm going to enjoy you liberals whining for the next 8 years, especially liberal women like you. Hillary lost. Get over it.........but wait I forgot you can't. So wallow in your agony.

Edited by Proud Tiger

6 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Continental Army... not a US govt thing.

But if you want to claim that, then Donald Trump really is the first citizen president – ever! !! 

That's what I was saying.  He's the first person elected as president to have zero prior experience working for or in the government here.

It's picking nits , I suppose, but the current form of govt, based on the Constitution... G Washington did not serve under until he was elected President. He was a general in AN army... just not this one as it existed. 

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

I consider that a big plus and he is surrounding himself with a great team of successful people.

I see it as neutral, but interesting nonetheless.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Those views are just as devisive as the ones you hate from Trump. Many of us don't like him personally, but that does not negate his position nor our ability to recognize it. Your unwillingness to support the position of president seems bitter and juvenile. I personally hope he is a roaring success. I don't hope that because I like him but because I love America. 

The point is he doesn't respect it-- he thinks it's a step down.

2 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I understand your feelings.  However, I believe in respect to what is left of our democracy, we should at least give him a chance.  Don't forget, the other choice wasn't exactly a gem.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I cannot in good conscious support a man who openly mocked a disabled man, then denied he did it. I cannot support a man who thinks that when you're powerful you can grab a woman's genitalia without her consent. I cannot support a man who incited violence at his rallies while he spoke of Hispanics in a deragatory mannercalking them rapists and thugs.  I cannot support a man who wants to police religions. I cannot support a man who degrades a POW for being captured and insults a gold star family. I cannot support a man who says companies in America shouldn't outsource to other countries while he himself outsources everything from shirts and ties to hookers. I'm glad you picked up on the devisive tone because I want a great DIVIDE between myself and that kind of misogynistic, racist, xenophobic behavior.  I have no desire to associate with it. Bitter, maybe a little since TWICE in my presidential voting life a democrat has won the popular vote and lost the WHITE HOUSE. 

Now let's address juvenile shall we? I find it worth noting that you haven't frequented this forum until just recently and it's been to promote your "Trump disgusts me, BUT" agenda and to snidely insult those of us who do speak out against him. Your concern for keeping us respectful of the office of the presidency didn't seem to exist when the right wing nuts were attacking our former President. So you can call me whatever name you like because I don't support Trump, I really don't care.  But know this, I'm capable of giving credit when it's due but Trump has done nothing yet to get credit. And considering his past actions and his cabinet appointments, it doesn't look like he will.

• Like 3