Supreme Court nominee

TexasTiger

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It sounds to me like some deliberate false leaks were planted to keep the decision secret until the announcement.

Could very well be but I suppose we will never know the real FACTS. I think that is going to be a continuing thing with this WH and the media. But all is well in Auburn. Beautiful morning at Toomers and headed out to breakfast.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Democrats consider backing off big battle over Trump's Supreme Court pick

Senate Democrats are weighing whether to avoid an all-out war to block President Donald Trump's upcoming Supreme Court pick, instead considering delaying that battle for a future nomination that could shift the ideological balance of the court, sources say.

Democrats privately discussed their tactics during a closed-door retreat in West Virginia last week. And a number of Democrats are trying to persuade liberal firebrands to essentially let Republicans confirm Trump's pick after a vigorous confirmation process -- since Trump is likely to name a conservative to replace the late conservative Justice Antonin Scalia...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/30/politics/democrats-supreme-court-battle/index.html

Backing off is a good political move since Trump has put them in a lose-lose situation. If they filibuster this I'm confident the nuclear option will be invoked which is the lefts biggest nightmare since Justice Kennedy has indicated he might also retire so a republican will have the opportunity to replace him. That coupled with the idea that Ginsburg being 83 may be replaced within the next 4 years too. Democrats are in a really tough spot. Here's a short piece from the American Thinker that pretty much sums yup the dems current predicament. Its not long but spot on explaining their dilemma

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/02/gorsuch_nomination_a_loselose_for_the_democrats.html

19 hours ago, LakeBum said:

No.  I am following it now because President Trump has made it interesting and because the media seems infatuated with dogging him.

Trump felt he needed to make his appointment to the SCOTUS - especially after what happen with Merrick Garland - interesting?

:laugh:

I am surprised he didn't have a girl burst out of a cake with an envelope. And the media is "dogging him"?   That must really mean the media is pulling his sled.  Heck, having the media "dog him" is his basic M.O.

1 hour ago, TheBlueVue said:

Backing off is a good political move since Trump has put them in a lose-lose situation. If they filibuster this I'm confident the nuclear option will be invoked which is the lefts biggest nightmare since Justice Kennedy has indicated he might also retire so a republican will have the opportunity to replace him. That coupled with the idea that Ginsburg being 83 may be replaced within the next 4 years too. Democrats are in a really tough spot. Here's a short piece from the American Thinker that pretty much sums yup the dems current predicament. Its not long but spot on explaining their dilemma

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/02/gorsuch_nomination_a_loselose_for_the_democrats.html

I agree.  I think it's the smartest thing for them to do. The article was right.

But it still galls me the way McConnel treated Obama's Merrick Garland nomination.  That was disgraceful.  I don't think such power-based politics is good for the country. It was tantamount to prioritizing  political partisanship over the constitution. 

Slightly off topic, but is there anyone here who is read-up on the SCOTUS?

I was wondering if what I see as the politicization of the court is historically typical?

Being able to analyse the court as conservative or liberal is disturbing to me.  I think we need more unpredictable, independent justices.

I suppose the ultimate divide is over "literalists" vs. "interpretists" (my terms, I'm too lazy to look it up).  

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I agree.  I think it's the smartest thing for them to do. The article was right.

But it still galls me the way McConnel treated Obama's Merrick Garland nomination.  That was disgraceful.  I don't think such power-based politics is good for the country. It was tantamount to prioritizing  political partisanship over the constitution. 

If it stings so much, then you may thank Biden.  Good ole uncle Joe.  :laugh:

41 minutes ago, homersapien said:

But it still galls me the way McConnel treated Obama's Merrick Garland nomination.  That was disgraceful.  I don't think such power-based politics is good for the country. It was tantamount to prioritizing  political partisanship over the constitution

So you are hoping the Democrats don't filibuster and confirm the new nominee for SCOTUS?

25 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

So you are hoping the Democrats don't filibuster and confirm the new nominee for SCOTUS?

I think it's the smart thing to do and I support them doing the smart thing.  

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I think it's the smart thing to do and I support them doing the smart thing.  

A future nomination will be different.

" This nomination is the very reason many who did not like Trump held their noses and voted for him " - anonymous  

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

A future nomination will be different.

" This nomination is the very reason many who did not like Trump held their noses and voted for him " - anonymous  

Here's a good article on that:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/trump-bioethics-supreme-court/515250/

Trump Picks a Bioethicist for the Supreme Court

Neil Gorsuch has spent his career considering questions of life’s ends—and beginnings.

I don't know if the Democrats will take the high road and do due diligence and confirm or if they will try to stop him and force the nuclear option. Looking at his academic credentials and his demeanor along with the fact that when he was picked for the 10th Circuit Court where he was passed with a 95-0 it will be hard for the Democrats to say that he is not qualified.

If the Democrats as a whole not just a few individuals do try and stop him and force the nuclear option it will hurt them in 2 years when so many Democratic Senators will be running for re-election in states that went for Trump. The Democrats had a golden opportunity in the past election to regain the Senate with so many Republican seats up for grabs and they failed. This next election will be the opposite where the Republicans have the opportunity to make great gains.

From a purely political standpoint it is in the Democrats best interest to ask tough questions make sure people know where they stand then approve this Jurist who whether they agree with his philosophy or not is eminently qualified.

Archived