Supreme Court nominee

TexasTiger

So the top two finalist are being brought to town to keep an air of mystery to the reality tv show our government has become. This is an indignity to both men and the institution.

Thoughts on the two top contestants?

Sweet lord. @Arianedevogue reports both Gorsuch and Hardiman being brought to DC to build suspense
9:35 AM - 31 Jan 2017
257 RETWEETS226 LIKES

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it the norm to bring in more than one for suspense? never heard of that here.

Have not heard that much about Hardiman but understand that Gorsuch is a genuine intellect, 

Which will be the toughest confirmation? Is Gorsuch not the more conservative?

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Is it the norm to bring in more than one for suspense? never heard of that here.

Have not heard that much about Hardiman but understand that Gorsuch is a genuine intellect, 

Which will be the toughest confirmation? Is Gorsuch not the more conservative?

No, this has never been done.

My understanding is both are seen as qualified and should be confirmed. Hardiman has working class roots-- drove a cab. Less of a paper trail.

Ole Trump....he can't let reality T.V. go!

I believe it's Hardiman....but I wouldn't discount someone outside of the two being brought in.......

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

So the top two finalist are being brought to town to keep an air of mystery to the reality tv show our government has become. This is an indignity to both men and the institution.

Thoughts on the two top contestants?

Sweet lord. @Arianedevogue reports both Gorsuch and Hardiman being brought to DC to build suspense
9:35 AM - 31 Jan 2017
257 RETWEETS226 LIKES

Better than announcing it after hours on Friday as Obama was prone to do. Trump said he would communicate and he is fulfilling that promise.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

Better than announcing it after hours on Friday as Obama was prone to do.

Obama SCOTUS nominations

Justice Sotomayor:  nominated Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Elena Kagan:  nominated Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Merrick Garland:  nominated Wednesday, March 16, 2016

21 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

No, this has never been done.

My understanding is both are seen as qualified and should be confirmed. Hardiman has working class roots-- drove a cab. Less of a paper trail.

You think two people up for a SC nomination would tell him this is not a beauty pageant. Not like one gets a runner-up trophy.

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Obama SCOTUS nominations

Justice Sotomayor:  nominated Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Elena Kagan:  nominated Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Merrick Garland:  nominated Wednesday, March 16, 2016

I should have said with lots of things, not specifically SCOTUS. How did he announce those nominees? Any response to my last PM?

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

You think two people up for a SC nomination would tell him this is not a beauty pageant. Not like one gets a runner-up trophy.

Chances are high that the one that doesn't get selected will be the next nominee when another spot opens up, which is likely within the next 4 years.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Press conferences.

I assume he announced the press conference and said he would give his nominee for SCOTUS. How is that a lot different than what Trump is doing tonight?

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

I assume he announced the press conference and said he would give his nominee for SCOTUS. How is that a lot different than what Trump is doing tonight?

He didn't have his finalists travel to Washington to build suspense.  Only his choice for the nomination came for the press conference.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

He didn't have his finalists travel to Washington to build suspense.  Only his choice for the nomination came for the press conference.

Are they both going to DC for the announcement?

3 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

Chances are high that the one that doesn't get selected will be the next nominee when another spot opens up, which is likely within the next 4 years.

I wouldn't count on that. I'm not sure norms apply to Trump. He sees value in surprise and unpredictably-- good for tv ratings.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Yes.  See original post in thread.

TT says that. Does he know for a fact they are both being brought?

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I wouldn't count on that. I'm not sure norms apply to Trump. He sees value in surprise and unpredictably-- good for tv ratings.

If that were true, I doubt we would know the two finalists.  Not much suspense or surprise when we know it is one of two selections.  

5 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

TT says that. Does he know for a fact they are both being brought?

YES!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/31/politics/gorsuch-supreme-court-hardiman/index.html

P.S.  TexasTiger didn't say it.  The SCOTUS reporter for The Washington Post did.

2 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

If that were true, I doubt we would know the two finalists.  Not much suspense or surprise when we know it is one of two selections.  

Have you followed these in the past?

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I guess we will see how it unfolds but the NYT and CNN both reported that Homeland Security and Gen Kelly were left out of the loop on the refugee EO. Gen. Kelly refuted that in spades this morning. I guess we will know tonight how it plays out. I may miss it live since I will be at the AU-UT basketball game.

2 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

No.  I am following it now because President Trump has made it interesting and because the media seems infatuated with dogging him.

^^^^^^Like

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I guess we will see how it unfolds but the NYT and CNN both reported that Homeland Security and Gen Kelly were left out of the loop on the refugee EO. Gen. Kelly refuted that in spades this morning. I guess we will know tonight how it plays out. I may miss it live since I will be at the AU-UT basketball game.

Listen to how he nuanced his answers. He's still honoring the boss, but he doesn't claim any more actual involvement than was reported.

Archived