Softball vs. Mercer - Game Thread

WarTiger

Draper, to me, seems a lot like Tiffany Howard last year.  Good speed, good bunter/slapper with good on base percentage.  I could see her first in the order.  If Crocker can get back to form she might be good in the #9 spot and move Draper to #1.  Yesterday, Crocker had some sort of compression sleeve on her knee but removed it later.  She was not dressed out.  Walking without defect.   I spoke to her briefly after the game and got the impression she would be back soon.  Spain has done a very good job at second.  McCrackin likely back soon.  However,  from what I have seen, Crocker is more effective with the bat in her hand.  I believe that yesterday was some of the best bunting I have seen from Auburn softball.  The one by Fagan really caught Mercer off guard.  Also glad to see a couple of stolen bases. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the lineup used Saturday and Sunday. While it will not necessarily prove to be true every game, Cooper had some good situations to hit the ball in.  If the 8 and 9 hitters can turn the lineup over like they did the last 2-3 games, that could keep the bases juiced for the power hitters in Carly, Cooper, Fagan, and Veach.   I think turning the lineup over will prove more beneficial than starting Draper in leadoff, especially after the lack of production in the 7-9 spots during the world series last year.  After the first at bat, the top of the order is basically the 8/9 spot with the current setup.  I also prefer to keep Cooper in the top 2 spots as long as we keep the slap hitters in the 8/9 hole.  Gives Kasey more at bats, which she is typically getting on base one way or another.  I also like putting the hot hand behind Cooper.  Veach was hot coming in and Fagan got hot during the weekend, while Veach cooled a little.  Either way, it looked more cohesive this weekend throughout the lineup.

PS.  Now if we get a proven hitter in Crocker, for example, in the 9 hole, then I can see VD moving to leadoff.

12 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Draper, to me, seems a lot like Tiffany Howard last year.  Good speed, good bunter/slapper with good on base percentage.  I could see her first in the order.  If Crocker can get back to form she might be good in the #9 spot and move Draper to #1.  Yesterday, Crocker had some sort of compression sleeve on her knee but removed it later.  She was not dressed out.  Walking without defect.   I spoke to her briefly after the game and got the impression she would be back soon.  Spain has done a very good job at second.  McCrackin likely back soon.  However,  from what I have seen, Crocker is more effective with the bat in her hand.  I believe that yesterday was some of the best bunting I have seen from Auburn softball.  The one by Fagan really caught Mercer off guard.  Also glad to see a couple of stolen bases. 

Not sure Draper is to the level of Howard yet.  She still really lacks bat control and the full gambit of slap/hit weapons Tiff possessed.  Not even convinced Draper is ready to leadoff.  If Crocker was completely healthy, she is a better fit.  The fact Draper has been hit for at least 6 times this season tells a lot.  Still think she has the ability to add more to her arsenal, which could make her ready for leadoff.  Don't think she will ever be allowed to just swing (aka not slapping).

Archived