2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/29/18)

ellitor

33 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

So much I could say but being a family site I best not

Too bad its the quiet period

I disagree with list at the top of this thread. As of now, we only have 2 LB's, 1 DE and on TE's signed or committed. It doesn't matter if they come high school or junior college, but I think we should end up signing  at least 3 OT's, 1 TE, 3 LB's and 2 DE's.

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I disagree with list at the top of this thread. As of now, we only have 2 LB's, 1 DE and on TE's signed or committed. It doesn't matter if they come high school or junior college, but I think we should end up signing  at least 3 OT's, 1 TE, 3 LB's and 2 DE's.

All those bases cannot be covered, we have only 3 spots left.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Let me get this strait.... you are proposing that we sign 1 LB, 1 TE, 1 DE, and 3 OT in our last 2 spots?    Brilliant! 

now if someone can just keep the NCAA from noticing - and happen to find 3 OTs that will sign with us -  I think we have a new head of football recruiting.  

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Hey. I'm just posting where the AU staff is recruiting players. Don't shoot the messenger.

And we likely aren't getting any OTs much less 3.

Edited by ellitor

13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

tumblr_mo6xd2MC2G1s9362xo1_250.gif

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Roos said:

I guess the Goursage visit did not go well????

Others have said mom thinks we're too far away.

to be fair...it’s probably a 7 hr drive....compared to 1-1/2 to Gainesville 

Edited by AUDevil

1 hour ago, Roos said:

I guess the Goursage visit did not go well????

It did. Mom's just locked into him being close to home.

• Thanks 1

With National Signing Day near, there are roughly 10 prospects left on Auburn’s board.

There are also about 10 scenarios of how the class could play out.

The new early signing period appears to have created a Signing Day log jam for those who held out until January. There were less recruits for schools to focus on, which made for more grueling decisions for the prospects. Because of that, almost everyone who waited until January — save for a few such as Harold Joiner and Anthony Schwartz — will make their decisions on National Signing Day in front of a captivated audience.

Throughout the next three days, SEC Country will have a predictions article later Monday to track what we expect to happen. However, this time of year, things can change quickly.

For now, let’s take a look at where things stand with each of the 10 remaining targets.

• Offensive tackle Richard Gouraige: There was a point in the fall when Gouraige looked destined to flip to Auburn. Most of my sources felt that way. Then the Herb Hand move, which came at an inconvenient time for the Tigers, affected this one. It forced Gouraige to hold off on the Auburn visit until after his official visit to Florida. My sources said the Gators made a major move toward holding onto Gouraige following his trip to Gainesville two weekends ago. Auburn had a strong official visit with Gouraige this weekend, but the feeling here is Florida locked things up after his official visit there. It’s not out of the question for Auburn to pull of a surprise, but the Tigers had ground to make up coming into the weekend, and I’m not sure that was fully accomplished.
  • Offensive tackle Calvin Anderson: This one will be interesting to track considering the official visit to Auburn comes after National Signing Day. Anderson’s official visit will be next weekend and how the Tigers finish these next three days will dictate exactly how much pressure Auburn puts on Anderson. The Rice grad transfer has already taken official visits to Texas and Michigan, which put Auburn in a tier behind those programs for now. Texas is the front-runner given his roots in Austin, Texas, and his connection with Longhorns offenisve line coach Herb Hand. But, if Auburn misses on Gouraige and other elite prospects, Auburn will roll out the red carpet for Anderson next weekend.
  • Wide receiver Justyn Ross: Ross took his final official visit to Auburn two weekends ago. He will now set up for an Auburn-Alabama-Clemson decision. While Ross has many relationships at Auburn, it’s the other two programs that have been trending more the last few weeks. Clemson felt like the team to beat for most of this recruitment, but as I’ve written many times within, the No. 1 prospect in Alabama usually stays in the state — most commonly, of lat, with the Crimson Tide. A source has said the powers that be within the household have made a strong push to keep Ross in the state, and Alabama is the much more likely destination were that to come true.
  • Wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase: Auburn couldn’t have provided a better weekend for Chase than it did. LSU was always going to be tough to top. Chase’s father accompanied him on the trip. He has long been an advocate for Chase staying home to play for LSU, but Auburn did solid work to impress both members of the Chase family. Chase has a track record of committing to a school after only one visit. That’s what he did when he committed to Kansas and Florida. Will he be able to do it a third time? The feeling here remains LSU will pull this one out in the end. That’s what most of the sources close to Chase in Louisiana have told SEC Country. With that said, there was a sense of optimism out of Auburn following the visit, so Chase remains in play as a potential Signing Day surprise.
  • Linebacker Quay Walker: Walker has been the big mystery in January. There were points when Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee all seemed to be likely choices. In fact, one source said they felt a few weeks ago they felt Walker was well on his way to joining the Tigers. The confidence isn’t as high on that front right now, but it isn’t out of the question. Walker is expected to let coaching staffs know in the next 24 hours, so the spurned programs can initiate their back up plans. Tennessee’s push with new head coach Jeremy Pruitt was enough for me to put in my Crystal Ball pick to the Volunteers last night.
  • Defensive lineman Malik Langham: Auburn’s late push hasn’t been for naught. Langham adjusted his official visit slate last minute to make room for Auburn in favor of Tennessee. That alone is enough to say Langham is showing strong interest in the Tigers. Still, the Crimson Tide were the runaway favorite coming into the weekend. Was Langham’s childhood Auburn fandom enough to overcome? It’s much more possible than I would’ve thought coming into the weekend. Defensive line coach Rodney Garner made a strong impression on Langham. Likewise, Garner took a strong interest in Langham throughout the visit too, I’m told. Florida can’t be ignored from this conversation since Langham will talk it all over with his parent and hope to come up with a decision by Monday night. He’ll let coaches know Monday, if he’s ready.
  • Defensive lineman Caleb Tannor: At the end of last week, Tannor seemed like the one certainty that would end up in Auburn’s class. That isn’t a sure thing anymore. Tannor continues to show strong interest in Florida and Nebraska, as well as Auburn. In fact, I’ve been told Nebraska — who seemed to be the outsider after his Tigers’ official visit — is very much in this. Auburn hasn’t completely turned its back on Tannor, so I’m not yet willing to rule out the Tigers. But confidence is nowhere near where it was at the end of last week. Again, it’s still possible, but much less likely than before.
  • Defensive lineman Caleb Johnson: I don’t want to label Johnson in the “fall-back plan” category because I think it’s quite possible he ends up as high caliber of prospect as some of the others Auburn is recruiting at similar positions (Langham, Tannor, etc.). Johnson will likely choose one of Auburn, Georgia and Florida. It doesn’t appear Georgia will have the spot for him by Signing Day, though if it does, the Bulldogs are expected to be the choice. Florida is the one program who would take Johnson’s commitment without hesitation. Auburn is close to that point. If the Tigers miss on Walker, Langham, Tannor, they’d turn their attention to Johnson who would probably choose to stay 30 minutes from his home in Columbus, Ga.
  • Defensive back Cam Taylor: Taylor hasn’t been offered yet, but he took an official visit, so he makes the list. He’s always waited to make a Signing Day decision, and Auburn was a big reason for that. Taylor has been holding out for an Auburn offer for the long haul. He’s always has confidence it would come given his close relationship with defensive coordinator Kevin Steele. The Tigers will have to miss on many of their top targets on Signing Day, but it’s within reason Taylor would pick up an offer to fill one of the final spots in the class.
  • Tight end Nathaniel Watson: It would surprise me if this were the direction Auburn went on National Signing Day, but Watson took a visit and is a Tigers’ legacy, so it’s possible. He wouldn’t have taken an official visit in January if it were impossible for him to land in Auburn’s class. Watson is at a position that doesn’t make much sense for an addition. But much like Taylor, if the Tigers miss on a few, who knows.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Whoa. Words.

But very informative and IF, IF, IF accurate, Pruitt, Mullen, Kirby, Saban took our entrees and left us with leftovers.

wde

23 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

But very informative and IF, IF, IF accurate, Pruitt, Mullen, Kirby, Saban took our entrees and left us with leftovers.

wde

Or it could be Auburn had a fine entree during the early signing period. Only now, the dessert is vanilla ice cream instead of Baked Alaska.

• Like 2

OK so,you think we will sign recruits that will meet our needs at OL and that missing out on critical recruits at LB and DB are OK with you on NSD?  But, I will play to your overall theme, you think we have signed and will sign on NSD players that will enable us to compete with UGA and spuat consistently going forward given what uga and spuat has just signed and just had committed in the long term?  Just asking.

wde

17 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Or it could be Auburn had a fine entree during the early signing period. Only now, the dessert is vanilla ice cream instead of Baked Alaska.

We had a good entree during the early signing period.  I just don't want a  Golden Gorral entree for the final entree.

wde

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

We had a good entree during the early signing period.  I just don't want a  Golden Gorral entree for the final entree.

wde

McDonalds is the only thing open this late...gotta grab a McFlurry for desert...sorry hon.

We competed this year with the same caliber of signees we are signing in this class and have competed with Saban better than anybody else has over the last 9 years. So yes, we can compete with them with these players. The key for anyone to beat UGA or UAT is at QB. We have one coming back who is capable. We have one going to be a sophomore and one coming in that have better tools. We shall see if JG is what we want him to be. If he is even close, then yes the people we have signed or will sign in this class can compete with those two.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

McDonalds is the only thing open this late...gotta grab a McFlurry for desert...sorry hon.

Not a hon, but I can appreciate.

wde

35 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

OK so,you think we will sign recruits that will meet our needs at OL and that missing out on critical recruits at LB and DB are OK with you on NSD?  But, I will play to your overall theme, you think we have signed and will sign on NSD players that will enable us to compete with UGA and spuat consistently going forward given what uga and spuat has just signed and just had committed in the long term?  Just asking.

wde

C'mon bro you know you can't shade that sunshine they pump. Lol.

Edited by leglessdan

32 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

I think we have enough offensive linemen to get us through 2018, and I think we will load up on them in next year's class. And yes, I do think we've signed enough good athletes to keep up with UAT and UGA.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Not a hon, but I can appreciate.

wde

recounting a conversation with my wife...left off the quotes.  sorry, dude.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

recounting a conversation with my wife...left off the quotes.  sorry, dude.

LMAO, no worries!! 

wde