No, Removing Confederate Monuments Does Not "Erase History"

AUUSN

15 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Let's say ridiculously stupid stuff instead of making reasonable arguments.

I guess you haven't learned about sarcasm yet?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Interesting thread.  Like all the threads in this particular forum, the sides are divided into extremes.  The ones that state "remove all monuments of the Civil War/slavery" and the "if you remove the monuments, you erase history" side of the equation.  No middle ground, no real debate just my thoughts are what really count.

After Memorial Day, I happened to look into the Arlington National Cemetery and its origin.  I don't know if many know, but there are 482 confederate soldiers buried in section 16 known as the Confederate Memorial.  This portion of Arlington was approved by congress in June 1900 in this spirit of national reconciliation. Later, the United Daughters of the Confederacy petitioned for a memorial and it was granted in 1906.  The article follows:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Explore/Monuments-and-Memorials/Confederate-Memorial

Even more interesting is how Arlington came to be.  The land was originally owned by Robert E. Lee, whose wife's family owned the property (George Washington Parke Custis was GW adopted son and passed on to Mary Custis Lee) and the land was illegally confiscated by the US government.  Through the courts, Lee's descendants were properly compensated for the property and is now legally government land.  The land was basically a "potter's field" of casualties of the war, the first burial was in May of 1864 as General Meigs decided to use the property of Robert E. Lee as a cemetery so the land would be uninhabitable after the war.  Evidently, Meigs didn't like Lee's decision to fight for Virginia and the South during the war.  If you are interested in the origin of Arlington National Cemetary, link below is a very interesting read.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-arlington-national-cemetery-came-to-be-145147007/

The bottom line is, in the spirit of national reconciliation section 16 was established back in 1900.  I am sure congress felt back then that they were doing the right thing, for the greater good.  The phrase "for the greater good" has become obsolete in this "all about me" world.  And that is a shame.  Let them RIP.

JMO, I could be wrong.  Fire away.

Post of the year. Thank you.

On 5/30/2017 at 8:16 PM, Proud Tiger said:

Neither was Sherman. So if we want to remove all statues reminding us of the horrors of the Civil War surely the one of the ruthless Sherman should be removed in D.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_William_Tecumseh_Sherman_Monument

While we're at it, let's remove all those Grant statues as well..he owned at least one slave...I recommend we remove him from the list of Presidents...

23 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Absolutely, destroy Pine Hill Cemetery on Armstrong in Auburn. The monument to the unknown Confederate soldier stands above several graves. It has to go. Then tear down Samford Hall. It served as hospital for the soldiers that died in Auburn according to the monument. 

In the 47th Alabama's history, they mustered and shipped out of Auburn...that is where my GG Granfather joined the unit.  Obviously, it must be razed to the ground to wipe that blemish off the face of Alabama...

21 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

So much ignorance.

Sarcasm, disdain for horse***t, a general contempt for the current lame liberal ethos....but certainly not ignorance.... 

13 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Sarcasm, disdain for horse***t, a general contempt for the current lame liberal ethos....but certainly not ignorance.... 

I pointed out your lies. Let's go with that.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

You've lost the capacity for shame. And logic. 

And you have no standing to judge ANYONE

8 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Tex is taking tonight off Jap. Or perhaps at Pine Hill Cemetery reading the Confederate monument plaque. Maybe walked directly across Armstrong to visit the very peaceful Islamic Center in Auburn.Our horrible decedents of the the south treat them with great respect. Lived in the neighborhood for 30 + years. great place. 

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Tex is taking tonight off Jap. Or perhaps at Pine Hill Cemetery reading the Confederate monument plaque. Maybe walked directly across Armstrong to visit the very peaceful Islamic Center in Auburn.Our horrible decedents of the the south treat them with great respect. Lived in the neighborhood for 30 + years. great place. 

LMAO

7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Salty don't care that you lied. That's how he prefers it.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

LMAO

Why laughing PT? They are peaceful and no one hassles them. Further, the cemetery is a big issue when it comes preservation in Auburn. Just as the Black cemetery is on Dean Road. You should know that most on those boards are liberal and Democrat. Never heard a request to tear monuments down. 

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Salty don't care that you lied. That's how he prefers it.

How do you know what Salty cares about Brother Tex? Awful to say. Horrible to call anyone a liar. Just ignore

9 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

How do you know what Salty cares about Brother Tex? Awful to say. Horrible to call anyone a liar. Just ignore

Just calling balls and strikes.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Don't dish if you're gonna cry.

Looks to me like you are the one whining.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Why laughing PT? They are peaceful and no one hassles them. Further, the cemetery is a big issue when it comes preservation in Auburn. Just as the Black cemetery is on Dean Road. You should know that most on those boards are liberal and Democrat. Never heard a request to tear monuments down. 

Bad choice of words on my part. I was actually agreeing with you.

So to sum this thread up it doesn't matter if it doesn't bother me.....which isn't surprising really, I guess it's human nature. But in the same breath don't get mad when the we were unified and I'm there for my brother....we're in this together speech is met with many eyes rolling. If I carried the opinion I don't care about the monument of this innocent and brave people that were killed 9/11 because they really don't have a problem with me they are just after white people many would frown on that.....rightfully so I might add. Just get over it and move on huh? 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So to sum this thread up it doesn't matter if it doesn't bother me

Pretty much.  Imagine the outcry if some major city with a large Russian immigrant population was putting statues of Karl Marx and Lenin up on public property.  Some folks either cannot or will not even attempt to see something from the perspective of another person.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Pretty much.  Imagine the outcry if some major city with a large Russian immigrant population was putting statues of Karl Marx and Lenin up on public property.  Some folks either cannot or will not even attempt to see something from the perspective of another person.

Absolutely, we're either in this together or we're not just decide....But trying to straddle a line it will never be. If you can really say be happy with your freedom send shut up....well let's at last admit you're not my brother. At the least let's be honest about the situation then maybe we can fix it in the future.

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

This may be in the Republican platform before long.

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

People's feelings don't seem to matter about those type of statues. It's considered "art" in Seattle: 

Spectators watch from Fremont's Lenin statue during the annual Fremont Solstice Parade on Saturday, June 21, 2014. Photo: JOSHUA TRUJILLO, SEATTLEPI.COM / SEATTLEPI.COM

It's arrival in Seattle met with controversy.

"This is highly inappropriate in this community," artist Frederick Edelblut told SeattlePI shortly after its unveiling. "It's not a piece of art. It's a disgrace, a a symbol of denigration, and a symbol of millions of people who have died in Eastern Europe from communist domination."

Bevis disagreed, contending that "art outlives politics," which echoes a sentiment shared on Fremont's official website.

"This sculpture is placed here in the Artist's Republic of Fremont, as a symbol of an artistic spirit that outlasts regimes and ideologies, and as tangible proof that art does outlive politics," it reads.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Fremont-s-Lenin-in-focus-after-removal-of-11185820.php

FWIW:

Neither Sherman nor Grant (nor for that matter Tecumseh or Crazy Horse) committed treason as a U.S. citizen who levied war against the United States...

Archived