No, Removing Confederate Monuments Does Not "Erase History"

AUUSN

2 hours ago, quietfan said:

FWIW:

Neither Sherman nor Grant (nor for that matter Tecumseh or Crazy Horse) committed treason as a U.S. citizen who levied war against the United States...

The rest of the story please. Agree with what you have said so far. FWIW 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Slavery was ended more than a hundred years ago Lebron.

Get the **** over it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712774-lebron-james-home-reportedly-vandalized-with-racist-graffiti

Wow Homey...everything OK?  It's like your channeling me here....I need to check the weather forecast for hell...someone else hack your account?

43 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Wow Homey...everything OK?  It's like your channeling me here....I need to check the weather forecast for hell...someone else hack your account?

Dang! Homerscorpion has used common sense for the first time. I am shocked!

In what point in time should one get over it? Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

You seriously missed the point.

1 hour ago, Southwest said:

In what point in time should one get over it? Asking for a friend.

I just looked it up. The Civil War ended in 1865 (152 years ago). None of us on this board were close to being born yet. Some of our ancestors fought in the war, but that was them and that was then. None of us should be and can't be held accountable for what they did, good or bad. There are racist white people, racist black people, and racists of all nationalities in some form. We need to learn to segregate the individual racists from the race and hold them accountable for their own actions, and not hold the entire race responsible for what a few bad apples do. At some point you have to consider the source. If someone who you love hurts you, then yes you need to feel offended. If some idiot yells, or writes a racial slur towards you, then you just need to say well that person is an idiot, they are going to continue to be an idiot, and why should what they say offend me? Till everyone applies these basic ideals, we will continue to have these asinine discussions about statues and monuments that very few people even care about.

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I just looked it up. The Civil War ended in 1865 (152 years ago). None of us on this board were close to being born yet. Some of our ancestors fought in the war, but that was them and that was then. None of us should be and can't be held accountable for what they did, good or bad. There are racist white people, racist black people, and racists of all nationalities in some form. We need to learn to segregate the individual racists from the race and hold them accountable for their own actions, and not hold the entire race responsible for what a few bad apples do. At some point you have to consider the source. If someone who you love hurts you, then yes you need to feel offended. If some idiot yells, or writes a racial slur towards you, then you just need to say well that person is an idiot, they are going to continue to be an idiot, and why should what they say offend me? Till everyone applies these basic ideals, we will continue to have these asinine discussions about statues and monuments that very few people even care about.

Speak for yourself.  

And if so, why all the complaints about removing them?

55 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

When did the civil rights movement begin and end? The civil war only did a small amount of justice in the race aspect of our history. I don’t know of many who hold a whole race responsible. On this specific topic I don’t understand why people are mad they are removing these monuments as you say none of us were living back then, it happened in 1857 etc...Seems this day and age people love to tell others what they should/shouldn’t feel overlook racist instead of condemning the racists and their B.S...

5 hours ago, Southwest said:

When did the civil rights movement begin and end? The civil war only did a small amount of justice in the race aspect of our history. I don’t know of many who hold a whole race responsible. On this specific topic I don’t understand why people are mad they are removing these monuments as you say none of us were living back then, it happened in 1857 etc...Seems this day and age people love to tell others what they should/shouldn’t feel overlook racist instead of condemning the racists and their B.S...

The problem is the selective outrage at things. If you only want to change certain things even though there are also other things that should also be changed, but you're only for certain one's, then I have a problem with that. I don't think it's right that some folks want to pick and choose what is considered "art" and what is considered offensive and a symbolism of hate. 

I posted a link showing that black leaders are split on re-naming the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, even though Pettus served as a confederate general, and was a leader in the KKK. How can people who are offended by monuments in Montgomery or the names of schools in Montgomery at the same time want to keep the name of a bridge in Selma that's named after a person who was an open racist and a champion of slavery like Pettus?

It just really speaks to the hypocrisy in outrage. Those wanting to keep the name of the bridge are using the same type argument that folks who want to keep the monuments in Montgomery are using yet only one side is considered "racist" and criticized for wanting to keep "historical integrity". 

I've already stated I have no problem with removing the confederate monuments in Montgomery. I think it's the right thing to do. What the big picture reflects sadly is that removing the monuments won't really accomplish anything. The leaders with the attitude of it's white people's fault for the conditions of black communities in the cities like Montgomery aren't going to change because the monuments are removed. Montgomery's still going to have the same issues even after the monuments are removed. That's the bigger problem I see about this. 

The Myth of the Kindly General Lee

The legend of the Confederate leader’s heroism and decency is based in the fiction of a person who never existed.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

The  Truth shall set you free.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:44 AM, ArgoEagle said:

Homersapien: Speak for yourself! I was near retirement then!

:lol:

btw argo, I dunno your post history, but using that argument I sure hope you aren't the "mikey" type like my signature.... that'd be embarrassing.

7 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Homersapien: Speak for yourself! I was near retirement then!

:lol:

btw argo, I dunno your post history, but using that argument I sure hope you aren't the "mikey" type like my signature.... that'd be embarrassing.

I don't really know much about Mikey. I let the Lord guide my footsteps. Jesus was the most unpolitically correct person to ever walk the planet, so I try to follow in his footsteps. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Don't hate other people, but sometimes you hate what they stand for.

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I don't really know much about Mikey. I let the Lord guide my footsteps. Jesus was the most unpolitically correct person to ever walk the planet, so I try to follow in his footsteps. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Don't hate other people, but sometimes you hate what they stand for.

Know this. Jesus would advocate removing those Monuments.

15 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

Know this. Jesus would advocate removing those Monuments.

How can you, me or anybody else know that?

48 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

How can you, me or anybody else know that?

With a question like that, it's clear we have nothing left to discuss.

32 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

With a question like that, it's clear we have nothing left to discuss.

Thanks. That was very informative and stimulating.

1 hour ago, AUUSN said:

Well isn't that magical? How about if those same people were to raise $16,ooo to feed hungry orphans, or to clothe, feed and house disabled veterans, or some other humanitarian cause to take care of people in need today? But no, lets raise money to tear down a large piece of stone that's providing birds a perch, and giving them a place to use the bathroom. Bravo!

3 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Well isn't that magical? How about if those same people were to raise $16,ooo to feed hungry orphans, or to clothe, feed and house disabled veterans, or some other humanitarian cause to take care of people in need today? But no, lets raise money to tear down a large piece of stone that's providing birds a perch, and giving them a place to use the bathroom. Bravo!

WTF are you doing on the internet?

You could be administering to the poor.

:-\

It's amazing how at the WWII memorial in DC, there are no statues of the Nazi High Command.  It's a mystery what that war was even about.  Something about some Hilter guy. The liberals erased Nazi heritage and now its all forgotten.  O the humanity!

Archived