Digital Cameras

channonc

I have been researching cameras, and really want something conveinent and easy to use. So far I have narrowed it down to 2 cameras:

1. Cannon Powershot S410

2. Nikon Coolpix 4200

Both had good reviews. One question I had is the Cannon uses a Compact Flash card and the Nikon uses a SD card. Is this a difference that really matters in the long run?

If anyone has any experience with either of these cameras, I would love your feedback.

I would probably go with the nikon simply because it uses an SD card. SD cards are cheap and easy to get. Seem to be the more standard format than compact flash.

Also, you may want to look at panasonic's cameras. My friend got the s410 canon, and I like my lc50 panasonic a LOT better. And its cheaper.

Panasonic LC50

You could get an LC70 for the price of what you are looking at in the canon and nikon.

You really can't go wrong with either camera.

I have a Cannon and really like it because its small and easy to use. I also have a portable photo printer that can hook directly into the camera, which is great if you go on vacation with friends - you can take a picture and print out several copies right away.

I have a friend with a Nikon Coolpix - it is a great camera, uses standard batteries and is very easy to use.

Concerning memory cards: SD seems to be the way the industry is going, but compact flash won't go away soon. SD memory cards are faster than compact flash. When I take a picture with my Cannon (it has compact flash), there is a delay between the time I press the button and the time it actually takes the picture. Also, there is about a 2 second delay before you can take another photo. Not sure about the Nikon, but I've seen another camera with an SD card that can take pictures quickly, and if you can hold down the button it continuously takes pictures with only a brief interval between them. Part of that may be a function of the camera, but the faster memory is definitely a part as well.

Hope you enjoy your new camera - take a picture and post it here.

I also a Canon (Powershot A70). They are small, but powerful and loaded in options usually. I know a few people who have bought a few Nikons and they are all happy with theirs, so I don't think you will go wrong either way.

What format is your video and does it include sound. I have a sony and an Olympus. The sony uses standard windows to play it. The Olympus uses quicktime. I do not like quicktime. And there are times you like to take a small video.

you can not go wrong with the nikon coolpix. i have one for home and one for work. the only thing is battery life which is probably the case for all digital cameras.

I have one and my biggest regret is it's size. I have and older Sony Cyber-Shot and it is a good camera. But, it is not easy to stick in your pocket or coat, etc. So, what I usually tell people that ask is make sure it is "carry-friendly."

Also, I like the cameras with optical zoom as well as digital zoom.

Almost every camera forum or person with a digital camera I've talked to rave about the Nikon CoolPix line

Archived