Post Paris Agreement

AUcivE09

Since the other thread has already fallen into the realm of smack talk I wanted to start a new one with hopes of education and what can be done or will happen now that we are no longer a part. Below is my post from the other page (slight edits). Regardless of which side of the debate you fall on with respect to climate change - there is a lot of good that can come out of this across the world in the way of criteria pollutants. Particulates, SO2, CO, VOCs, HAPs will all be reduced as a direct effect.

Ill reserve comment at this time. Everyone who even thinks they may care about this agreement should at least read the thing. It is not long - about 25 pages. 

https://unfccc.int/files/essential_background/convention/application/pdf/english_paris_agreement.pdf

Once you read the agreement it makes it a whole lot easier to have an actual opinion outside of what your favorite news feeds you. I will be happy to discuss any section of the agreement. Ill give my own take later on tomorrow if I get the time.

Because China is a big part of this - here are their contributions.

https://www.c2es.org/docUploads/chinas-contributions-paris-climate-agreement.pdf

The document is a little older, but nothing has changed from the primary goals. 

First, thanks for posting this. I didn't realize it was so brief.

It's apparent to me the essential value and purpose of this agreement is to serve as a global organizing mechanism, which it does quite effectively since virtually every nation in the world has signed on to it.

In other words, assuming Trump is smart enough to understand a contract, the problems he associated with it were outright lies. 

The only possible objections to this agreement are based on either 1) a denial of the problem or 2) resentment that China, India and other large contributors to the problem have not committed to the same level of reductions as we have.  

Considering the agreement acknowledges that peak levels will vary by country according to their state of development and considering our (U.S.) historical contribution to the existing condition, reason #2 is petty. It misses the point alltogether.  It's certainly no reason to withdraw from the agreement which is totally counterproductive to addressing the problem.

Again, thanks for posting it.   I'm not sure what your specific purpose was in doing so - if any - but I am ready to discuss it line by line.  

Exiting Paris “probably our most consequential error since the Iraq War,” economist says

Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement could be a tipping point for human history.

Larry Summers, the Harvard professor, former Treasury secretary, and National Economic Council director, has a piece in Monday’s Washington Post that that makes a very big claim: The steady progress of human civilization could now stop and go into reverse.

In the last three-quarters of a century, the world has steadily become a safer, healthier, richer place, he writes.

But President Donald Trump may be a tipping point. In particular, his actions in the past two weeks — failing, as Summers writes, “to convincingly reaffirm traditional U.S. security commitments to NATO and abandoning participation in the Paris global climate agreement” — may inflict such severe economic consequences as to alter the course of human progress.

Pulling out of Paris is also such a failure of moral leadership, he writes, that it “is probably our most consequential error since the Iraq War.”......

Read the full article at:

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/6/5/15739792/exiting-paris-most-consequential-error-iraq-war-economist

Trump wants a better deal than Paris on climate. What’s better than “nonbinding”?

“Believe me, we have massive legal liability if we stay in,” Trump said. Don’t believe him.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/6/1/15727024/trump-pulls-us-out-of-paris-climate-deal-non-binding

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Again, thanks for posting it.   I'm not sure what your specific purpose was in doing so - if any - but I am ready to discuss it line by line.  

PARIS AGREEMENT

Line 1 Homer. This is going to boring.

13 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Line 2

The Parties to this Agreement,

What's your issue?  I'm fine so far.

Do you support Trump's move or not?  If not, show me the part of this accord you have issue with.

This is the "serious" political thread.  AUciv09 was gracious enough to post a link to the actual accord.  That gives us the opportunity to examine the facts behind the politics.

Your attempt to be clever / humorous is not appropriate here.  

(Not to mention it's neither clever nor humorous.)

Archived