RIVERA, SNOW WIN GOLD AT WBSC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

3 Tigers representing their country....future looking good

CLEARWATER, Fla. Rising sophomore Alyssa Rivera and incoming freshman Taylon Snow secured the goal medal for the USA Softball Junior Women’s National Team at the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) Junior Women’s World Championship.

Rivera, Snow and Team USA clinched the top prize with a 13-4 win against Japan in the championship game.

“It’s been a long summer after a long freshman season, but it felt great to put the three letters across my chest and represent my country,” said Rivera. “It was a wonderful experience and it felt good waking up in the morning being a world champion.”

“It was a really cool experience seeing all of the different countries and people from those countries,” stated Snow. “It was a really eye-opening and awesome experience. My team and I made a lot of memories that will last forever. 

“Being part of the team in the first place was one of the best experiences and all the friendships I made with the girls on the team, I’m very thankful for. Most importantly, bringing home the gold medal made me speechless.”

The two Auburn players were key in Team USA’s perfect 9-0 record in the tournament.

Rivera laced four hits, scored four runs and added two RBI in five games of action. The Eagle Lake, Fla. native touted a .444 batting average with a .546 on-base percentage while seeing time in the outfield.

Snow drilled six hits, crossed the plate seven times and added one stolen base. The Chino Hills, Calif. native boasted a .700 on-base clip and a .667 batting average to go along with a spotless 1.000 fielding percentage as an infielder.

The Tigers were also represented on another country as fellow newcomer Kara Bilodeau guided Team Canada to a fourth-place finish. The right-handed hurler tossed 19 and 2/3 innings and tallied 21 strikeouts to highlight a 1.78 ERA.

She registered a 2-0 record and allowed only three extra-base hits throughout the entirety of the competition. 

Both will set records at Auburn!!!! WAR EAGLE ladies.

Gonna be fun to watch them in action if nobody tries too much to help them improve their hitting styles....JMO

Two views:  1)  CCM said he was looking at teaching hitting a different way next year.  2)  Rivera said she wasn't getting any PT until she started doing what Clint said at the plate.  She wound up leading the team at .371.

7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Two views:  1)  CCM said he was looking at teaching hitting a different way next year.  2)  Rivera said she wasn't getting any PT until she started doing what Clint said at the plate.  She wound up leading the team at .371.

Guess it depends on what instructions she was getting....take the walk, spray the ball around or whatever but tinkering with a successful hitter because you don't like their swing...that's risky.    Guess it could be said that both are "natural hitters".....and maybe it's just an issue of discipline....but I also wonder what happened to Cooper between seasons that caused such a reduction in hitting performance ?  And I don't think it was not having a solid hitter behind her in the order.

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

Guess it depends on what instructions she was getting....take the walk, spray the ball around or whatever but tinkering with a successful hitter because you don't like their swing...that's risky.    Guess it could be said that both are "natural hitters".....and maybe it's just an issue of discipline....but I also wonder what happened to Cooper between seasons that caused such a reduction in hitting performance ?  And I don't think it was not having a solid hitter behind her in the order.

No insider info but I think she was just worn out from non-stop playing

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

No insider info but I think she was just worn out from non-stop playing

likely so...but I get nervous about over-coaching sometimes....JMO

Like ...who was it that convinced Tiger several years ago that he needed to re-build his swing?    At a time when he was almost unbeatable.

Way to k some a girls!

The only team I like to see win as much in sports as AU is the USA.

Since Tiger was brought up, I think he was his own worst enemy, as many overly famous people are. I personally don't like the guy at all and wish he would change his name to another animal's name (such as Elephant Woods) would be great.

Lastly the Solheim Cup is coming up in 2 weeks. This is the female version of the Ryder Cup in which the ladies of the USA take on the European ladies in golf. We need to root hard for our girls! War Eagle! All the way USA!

Archived