Receivers want to be best in the nation

WFE12

20 minutes ago, CR said:

What position on offense does look good?  Players don't come here to try and play this poorly. Anyone think this WR group would look like this playing for Clemson?

No, chances are they would be much more productive 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

To be a great receiving corp, one would think that it would start by actually being able to catch the ball.    Hastings is the only one of the bunch that can be depended on at the moment

And run good routes.  And seperate. And get their heads around. Fight for it. You know.........the little things.

The idea of "getting open" is pretty nebulous....see guys catching passes in every game where they are barely open or not "open" at all because the QB throws to a spot and the receiver goes and gets the ball.  JS and fans are expecting too much if JS is supposed to wait until a defender is not covering the WR....just does not happen all that much against good defenses.

3 hours ago, doverstutts said:

To be a great receiving corp, one would think that it would start by actually being able to catch the ball.    Hastings is the only one of the bunch that can be depended on at the moment

I read that JS had the 2nd best completion percentage rate in sec history and 360 yards! Someone had to catch those passes right??? Oh wow, it was our receiving core. This should mean they are doing better than the credit given on here for this game at least. One interception that should have been caught (bet it won't happen to ncm again) , he will learn from it. One other missed ball that was a rocket pass( could have been caught)! The fumble s on two receivers will get fixed and the one by javaris was on a punt return, I think,which Steven Robert's usually does . We have to give some credit for this game to them, even if it was mercer. They are going to get there guys, just like JS is getting there, who is in all regards like a freshman playing qb in the sec west, and imo is going to have a record breaking year in some categories and win us several games with that arm!!!

2 hours ago, jAUSon said:

And run good routes.  And seperate. And get their heads around. Fight for it. You know.........the little things.

You're forgetting about Slayton. Still think he is our best receiver. Didn't think we would miss him so much. 

3 hours ago, doverstutts said:

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

The idea of "getting open" is pretty nebulous....see guys catching passes in every game where they are barely open or not "open" at all because the QB throws to a spot and the receiver goes and gets the ball.  JS and fans are expecting too much if JS is supposed to wait until a defender is not covering the WR....just does not happen all that much against good defenses.

Exactly, and I think that Gus's offenses have largely been predicated on fooling the defense to where the receiver is wide open (a la Stanton Truitt against Arky last year). Now that defenses aren't fooled so easily, we have to realize that perfect throws in tight coverage are going to have to happen, especially against the big fellas on our schedule.

I also think that Kodi is the problem. Trooper Taylor annoyed me tirelessly, but at least the receivers looked a lot better. And our receivers now are exponentially better than they were when he was there. He wouldn't have NCM and Kyle Davis looking like they are right now.

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

That's wrong.  Sammie Coates was a prime example of getting separation.  He made a lot of DBs including those at Bama look silly. 

10 hours ago, toddc said:

I read that JS had the 2nd best completion percentage rate in sec history and 360 yards! Someone had to catch those passes right??? Oh wow, it was our receiving core. This should mean they are doing better than the credit given on here for this game at least. One interception that should have been caught (bet it won't happen to ncm again) , he will learn from it. One other missed ball that was a rocket pass( could have been caught)! The fumble s on two receivers will get fixed and the one by javaris was on a punt return, I think,which Steven Robert's usually does . We have to give some credit for this game to them, even if it was mercer. They are going to get there guys, just like JS is getting there, who is in all regards like a freshman playing qb in the sec west, and imo is going to have a record breaking year in some categories and win us several games with that arm!!!

Is Mercer's secondary that good?  Are they an SEC team?  Auburn should be easily catching against Mercer.  

1 hour ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

Is Mercer's secondary that good?  Are they an SEC team?  Auburn should be easily catching against Mercer.  

That's my point, they did! Step forward 

29 minutes ago, toddc said:

That's my point, they did! Step forward 

Yep....The caught just about everything that was thrown their way.....and only lost the ball afterward.  Anyone dissing the receivers needs to look at the stats.

Still saying though......just watch other teams and QBs and it's easy to see that JS is reluctant to throw into tight coverage....helps his completion percentage of course but takes him too long to get rid of the ball..which only works against the Mercers of the world.  He's gotta be willing to throw when the receiver has a step on the defender or when the receiver has a defender on his hip and he can hit a "back shoulder" pass.   Maybe the coaches have him a bit gun shy over the interception issue but no way he can keep taking the sacks....and the abuse that comes with them.  JMO

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....The caught just about everything that was thrown their way.....and only lost the ball afterward.  Anyone dissing the receivers needs to look at the stats.

Still saying though......just watch other teams and QBs and it's easy to see that JS is reluctant to throw into tight coverage....helps his completion percentage of course but takes him too long to get rid of the ball..which only works against the Mercers of the world.  He's gotta be willing to throw when the receiver has a step on the defender or when the receiver has a defender on his hip and he can hit a "back shoulder" pass.   Maybe the coaches have him a bit gun shy over the interception issue but no way he can keep taking the sacks....and the abuse that comes with them.  JMO

Agree totally!

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looking at the stats does not show the issues with the receivers.  The problem has been stated by many that the receivers are not getting open.  They are not getting open because they are not running a crisp route (all of this is with the exception of Hastings).  When WR go out they have to run the routes as designed.  This allows QB to throw to where they are going to be instead of where they are.  At this point the WR are not doing that & JS does not trust that they will.  Therefore he is holding on to the ball or waiting until they are WIDE OPEN.  JS will not have the luxury of blown coverage vs some of the SEC teams and therefore will require his WR to run the route they are expected to.

BTW this is not just my opinion, it is the opinion of some very football smart people who have seen the games from the sidelines\stands and seen what the WR are doing.

Not what I expected at all. I am stunned at how poorly this entire group has done so far. They can't get open, when they do they can't catch, and when they get open and catch the ball they fumble. Luckily we have at least 9 more games to play so we can and should get better. I expect a major improvement this weekend against a very poor Mizzou defense. 

If these guys want to the the best, they need to get nasty and fight for every ball.

Its been a while since we had a nasty determined WR!

Is that coaching? Recruiting? Or just the Auburn way?

Archived