10 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

I'll give it a shot:

Split End (9) - Slayton/NCM

Flanker (2) - Stove, R Davis, Noah

"Big Slot" (5) - K Davis, Cannella/McClain

TE (5) - Harris, Cannella, Shenker

"Small Slot" (3) - Hastings/R Davis

H-Back (3) - Cox

Admittedly, Malzahn's numbering system seems convoluted to me, but that's the general pecking order. From what I've gleaned from Chip's past offenses, he often uses motion to isolate defenders and really set up those Slot receivers to do some serious work in the middle of the field and up the seam. 

Man, Jarrett has some serious weapons. :hellyeah:

That's WITHOUT McClain even listed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

I'll give it a shot:

Split End (9) - Slayton/NCM

Flanker (2) - Stove, R Davis, Noah

"Big Slot" (5) - K Davis, Cannella/McClain

TE (5) - Harris, Cannella, Shenker

"Small Slot" (3) - Hastings/R Davis

H-Back (3) - Cox

Admittedly, Malzahn's numbering system seems convoluted to me, but that's the general pecking order. From what I've gleaned from Chip's past offenses, he often uses motion to isolate defenders and really set up those Slot receivers to do some serious work in the middle of the field and up the seam. 

Man, Jarrett has some serious weapons. :hellyeah:

Out of this (which is awesome btw) which of these do we have on the field at the same time most often? Obviously we're gonna have a split end but is CCL going to put a big slot or small slot out there more often? I'm not that familiar with Chip's offense.

59 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I've got Craig-Myers and Slayton finishing as our two best WRs in stats.

I concur Scotty. Especially yardage. I'm expecting big things from these two cats!

Im not ruling out the possibility that Hastings or R. Davis lead in catches. Those 2 get open quick. Very useful for short yardage and check downs. 

Also, K. Davis or Sal could possibly lead in TDs. They will be useful for fades and red zone catches. 

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I concur Scotty. Especially yardage. I'm expecting big things from these two cats!

Im not ruling out the possibility that Hastings or R. Davis lead in catches. Those 2 get open quick. Very useful for short yardage and check downs. 

Also, K. Davis or Sal could possibly lead in TDs. They will be useful for fades and red zone catches. 

This is probably accurate 100%

42 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Out of this (which is awesome btw) which of these do we have on the field at the same time most often? Obviously we're gonna have a split end but is CCL going to put a big slot or small slot out there more often? I'm not that familiar with Chip's offense.

One of NCM/Slayton

One of R Davis/Hastings

One of K Davis/Sal

One of Cox/Harris/Shenker/Sal

will probably be a regular line up. 

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

One of NCM/Slayton

One of R Davis/Hastings

One of K Davis/Sal

One of Cox/Harris/Shenker/Sal

will probably be a regular line up. 

How often do you think NCM and Slayton will be on the field together?

1 hour ago, djg0017 said:

Haha, that "depth chart" is very basic. For example, Kyle Davis is probably going to play the 9, 2, and 5 spots b/c he's that damn good. Also, Slayton played slot a ton last year so he could be seen in there in 2017. (ETA: I don't expect Chip to pigeon hole players into positions b/c of speed, height, etc. like Gus does.)

To answer your question though, the 2 and 9 basically never come off the field. They'll just rotate in a fresh guy. Also going to have a slot guy "small slot" or "big slot" on just about every formation. Gus and Chip have almost exclusively used 1-back offensive sets. X, Y, and Z are much more universal designations for split end, slot, and flanker, respecitvely. They'll be on the field with an H-back or TE mixed in. 

Hmmm, that's just tapping into things. If I have alil more time later I'll go back and look at the A-day game to see how much he used the TE & H-back. In the meantime, here's a decent article explaining Gus's approach. Link

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

Haha, that "depth chart" is very basic. For example, Kyle Davis is probably going to play just the 9, 2, and 5 spots b/c he's that damn good. Also, Slayton played slot a ton last year so he could be seen in there in 2017.

To answer your question though, the 2 and 9 basically never come off the field. They'll just rotate in a fresh guy. Also going to have a slot guy "small slot" or "big slot" on just about every formation. Gus and Chip have almost exclusively used 1-back offensive sets. X, Y, and Z are much more universal designations for split end, slot, and flanker, respecitvely. They'll be on the field with an H-back or TE mixed in. 

Hmmm, that's just tapping into things. If I have alil more time later I'll go back and look at the A-day game to see how much he used the TE & H-back. In the meantime, here's a decent article explaining Gus's approach. Link

Thanks, this helps a ton! I am used to X, Y, Z but this makes sense now. Any idea how CCL likes to use TEs? I know he uses them a lot more than CRL, but I wasn't sure if he uses them more as a blocker or receiver or both. I guess it boils down to.. is Jalen Harris finally going to get more than 2 receptions?:Sing:

Thanks again for your help.. I'm just now starting to pay attention to formations rather than just personnel.

7 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I've got Slayton leading in TDs with 8-9. Craig-Myers with 7-9. Kyle Davis with 5-6.

Eli Stove says Auburn football could have best WR group school, SEC ‘ever had’

AUBURN, Ala. — Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey wasn’t joking when he said Auburn’s wide receivers have a more confident demeanor this fall. In fact, it was probably an understatement.

Sophomore wideout Eli Stove believes that when the Tigers are finishing up the regular season and the college football postseason is ramping up, Auburn could boast one of the best units in the country.

“I don’t want to sound cocky,” Stove said. “But I think we can be the best group of receivers that Auburn has ever had, but in the SEC, too,” Stove said.

RELATED: Chip Lindsey liking the “swagger” he sees in Auburn football’s wide receivers

If the unit were to reach such heights it would mean significant progress in a short time. Auburn fell to the bottom of the SEC last season in passing offense last season (the Tigers attempted just 289 total passes in 2016).

Stove’s foresight comes with some knowledge and a year of experience in the SEC. After making six starts as a true freshman, the Niceville, Fla., native clinched the offensive newcomer of the year award at Auburn’s team banquet last December. Even as an underclassmen, he understands the weight in his statements.

“I’m not cocky, I’m just saying, if we keep working hard and doing everything we’re supposed to doc catching every ball, every deep ball, every 50-50 ball thrown to us, I think we can be a good group — maybe the best group.”

MORE: Jarrett Stidham has ‘raised his level’ since becoming Auburn football starting quarterback 

Auburn added Sal Cannella — the Chicago, native was the nation’s top JUCO tight end prospect — who’s been extremely involved with Kodi Burns receivers and saw the return of Kyle Davis ahead of preseason. There’s a long list of players who could have an impact, but the biggest change has been in the form of Baylor transfer Jarrett Stidham, who Stove says “knows where to put” the football “at all times.”

Stove is certain Auburn has always had the deep ball in its arsenal, but with Stidham in the pocket explosive plays should be even more dangerous.

“He’s doing pretty good helping us getting the right ball and stuff,” Stove said.

New offensive ideas and sets will help as well. The Tigers will still run the football, but have plans to be more balanced in Lindsey’s first year. The group has worked through the summer months and has improved “tremendously.”

Auburn will kickoff against Georgia Southern on Sept. 2 in Jordan-Hare Stadium. When Stidham throws his first pass his receivers will be out to prove their worth.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Eli Stove says Auburn football could have best WR group school, SEC ‘ever had’

AUBURN, Ala. — Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey wasn’t joking when he said Auburn’s wide receivers have a more confident demeanor this fall. In fact, it was probably an understatement.

Sophomore wideout Eli Stove believes that when the Tigers are finishing up the regular season and the college football postseason is ramping up, Auburn could boast one of the best units in the country.

“I don’t want to sound cocky,” Stove said. “But I think we can be the best group of receivers that Auburn has ever had, but in the SEC, too,” Stove said.

RELATED: Chip Lindsey liking the “swagger” he sees in Auburn football’s wide receivers

If the unit were to reach such heights it would mean significant progress in a short time. Auburn fell to the bottom of the SEC last season in passing offense last season (the Tigers attempted just 289 total passes in 2016).

Stove’s foresight comes with some knowledge and a year of experience in the SEC. After making six starts as a true freshman, the Niceville, Fla., native clinched the offensive newcomer of the year award at Auburn’s team banquet last December. Even as an underclassmen, he understands the weight in his statements.

“I’m not cocky, I’m just saying, if we keep working hard and doing everything we’re supposed to doc catching every ball, every deep ball, every 50-50 ball thrown to us, I think we can be a good group — maybe the best group.”

MORE: Jarrett Stidham has ‘raised his level’ since becoming Auburn football starting quarterback 

Auburn added Sal Cannella — the Chicago, native was the nation’s top JUCO tight end prospect — who’s been extremely involved with Kodi Burns receivers and saw the return of Kyle Davis ahead of preseason. There’s a long list of players who could have an impact, but the biggest change has been in the form of Baylor transfer Jarrett Stidham, who Stove says “knows where to put” the football “at all times.”

Stove is certain Auburn has always had the deep ball in its arsenal, but with Stidham in the pocket explosive plays should be even more dangerous.

“He’s doing pretty good helping us getting the right ball and stuff,” Stove said.

New offensive ideas and sets will help as well. The Tigers will still run the football, but have plans to be more balanced in Lindsey’s first year. The group has worked through the summer months and has improved “tremendously.”

Auburn will kickoff against Georgia Southern on Sept. 2 in Jordan-Hare Stadium. When Stidham throws his first pass his receivers will be out to prove their worth.

I like. I think the receivers are really taking the CKB persona, a work hard, a united unit, total team, Auburn men attitude. 

52 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I believed 2014's was pretty elite (bad health circumstances) but this one just runs laps over it IMO. McClain didn't even get listed and he might be the best one out of all 

I really hope McClain breaks out this year because a 17 jersey will be easy to get. Since it's 2017, I think everybody is selling the 17 jersey

A-Day we used 10 personnel (one back, no tight end, 4 WRs) a ton with Stidham at QB. That's a small sample size and base offense. Also counted Cannella as a WR b/c he stayed flexed out exclusively. That'd be Kyle's spot come the season. 

Brought in the TE and/or HB when we wanted to run the ball. Again, very basic.

3 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

A-Day we used 10 personnel (one back, no tight end, 4 WRs) a ton with Stidham at QB. That's a small sample size and base offense. Also counted Cannella as a WR b/c he stayed flexed out exclusively. That'd be Kyle's spot come the season. 

Brought in the TE and/or HB when we wanted to run the ball. Again, very basic.

I haven't gone back and looked, but I seem to remember some 11 and 20 as well

Just now, bigbird said:

I haven't gone back and looked, but I seem to remember some 11 and 20 as well

No, you're right. Guess I should have spelled that out better. 

11 - one back, one tight end

20 - two backs (1 RB, 1 HB), no tight end 

21 - two back (1 RB, 1 HB), one tight end

were definitely mixed in, mainly for the running game. Again, only focused on when Stidham was at QB.

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

lol I'm bumping this one.

how are we doing???

it's amazing how much has changed in a month 

I know drops at wr happen.  What was troubling were the guys dropping the ball were playing the very next series.  This coaching staff has to put the foot down.....

22 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

I know drops at wr happen.  What was troubling were the guys dropping the ball were playing the very next series.  This coaching staff has to put the foot down.....

I'm starting to wonder if that's our weakest link?  Lots of fumbles, lackadaisical routes, and played soft.  NCM had a great one-handed catch at his waist, but played very weak on 2 others leading to an INT and a pass break-up on 2 very catchable balls.  Shouldn't a guy with that talent be dominating?  I keep waiting for that sideline deep ball to him like we saw in the ADay game over and over.

33 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm starting to wonder if that's our weakest link?  Lots of fumbles, lackadaisical routes, and played soft.  NCM had a great one-handed catch at his waist, but played very weak on 2 others leading to an INT and a pass break-up on 2 very catchable balls.  Shouldn't a guy with that talent be dominating?  I keep waiting for that sideline deep ball to him like we saw in the ADay game over and over.

I thought the entire team looked lackadaisical. I just felt like they were in water or moving at half speed.

What position on offense does look good?  Players don't come here to try and play this poorly. Anyone think this WR group would look like this playing for Clemson?

Archived