Darby injury

quietfan

Just wanted to say to our Bama friends and to Ken Darby's family, I hope everything works out for him. I had no idea there was any question about him eventually coming back from his injuries.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/huntsvil...26690240190.xml

TUSCALOOSA - The pelvic injury sustained by Alabama tailback Kenneth Darby late last season has yet to heal and could be career-threatening, Crimson Tide coach Mike Shula said Thursday.

Asked if there is a question about Darby's future, Shula said following Thursday's practice, "Yeah, there could be, yeah."

Shula was then asked about how Darby's injury compared to a pelvic injury sustained by center Travis West - who was forced to give up football after playing sparingly last season as a redshirt freshman.

"Similar," Shula said. "And that's what we're looking at - how similar."

I hate to see any young man's career potential be sidelined by injuries. Hope everything heals properly.

[Then we can just beat him fairly, on the playing field, as things should be! :D ]

Whatever happens to Darby, I hope he does well and comes out in the end a healthy person. Good thing Shula got that big group of running backs to sign, for his sake they better qualify. I can just hear the bammers firing up the excuse machine for this approaching season. :rolleyes:

P.S. BG and Streyder are not bammers, bammers are the ones that couldn't find Tuscaloosa on a map and think it is spelled with a K.

Ditto that. I hope Shula's lack of a spine and/or poor medical staff didn't cost this young man his football future.

:au:

148300[/snapback]

That's about the most ignorant thing I've ever read on this board.

Thanks to the others for the classy posts.

BG03, i have yet to understand why UAT fans come to this board???? Although all of us don't say things like that, you have got to expect it. (especially here) I know you've been here alot longer than me, but I just can't understand why other teams fans hang out here, it's an AU board. Come on

BG03, i have yet to understand why UAT fans come to this board????  Although all of us don't say things like that, you have got to expect it. (especially here) I know you've been here alot longer than me, but I just can't understand why other teams fans hang out here, it's an AU board.  Come on

148326[/snapback]

Rivalry is no excuse for lack of civility. Rivalry is also no excuse for ignorance.

I dont understand why more people dont understand why I would want to get outside of the community that CONSTANTLY agrees with me. Is it so far fetched to think that some of us would like to step outside of our team boards and talk with other sec fans?

Besides, if UA fans werent here...posts like the one I responded to would go unnoticed...except for the outsiders. Then you would have this perceived notion that it was the norm. And you dont want that.

BG03, i have yet to understand why UAT fans come to this board????  Although all of us don't say things like that, you have got to expect it. (especially here) I know you've been here alot longer than me, but I just can't understand why other teams fans hang out here, it's an AU board.  Come on

148326[/snapback]

And I've got to say, I've never understood this way of thinking. I've heard it from other rival fans on their boards before. Many people actually find it interesting to talk to fans from another school, with a different perspective and a deeper knowledge of another school. It can actually be fun.

Well, I appreciate humor, and it appears to me that the spineless medical crap was meant to be humorous and not a statement of somber fact. Hey, it didn't make me laugh, but I certainly wouldn't get my panties in a wad over it!

btw, here's a list of all the reasons I'd visit a Bammer Board regularly:

Pelvic injuries are no laughing matter. Hence my decision to have a c-section versus trying to deliver a baby that was transverse. They can have a serious impact on the rest of your life, much less a football career. I hope Darby recovers completely - and that he makes the right decision about playing in order to do so. Football is now, but he has too many years ahead of him to make a stupid decision.

Asked if there is a question about Darby's future, Shula said following Thursday's practice, "Yeah, there could be, yeah."

Wow. Shula is just so f***ing articulate - must be that bammer education.

(Sorry in advance, BG. You know I love you and am glad you are on this board. It wouldn't be the same without you. ;) )

Well, I appreciate humor, and it appears to me that the spineless medical crap was meant to be humorous and not a statement of somber fact.  Hey, it didn't make me laugh, but I certainly wouldn't get my panties in a wad over it!

btw, here's a list of all the reasons I'd visit a Bammer Board regularly:

148335[/snapback]

hahaha good one :lol:

if the injury was known to be ths serious, why did hula play him in the last two games and risk his career?.....to try to save his miserable little bammerboobed ass, thats why......the bammerboobs and coach hula go together like poop and stink

148326[/snapback]

Rivalry is no excuse for lack of civility. Rivalry is also no excuse for ignorance.

I dont understand why more people dont understand why I would want to get outside of the community that CONSTANTLY agrees with me. Is it so far fetched to think that some of us would like to step outside of our team boards and talk with other sec fans?

Besides, if UA fans werent here...posts like the one I responded to would go unnoticed...except for the outsiders. Then you would have this perceived notion that it was the norm. And you dont want that.

148331[/snapback]

BG, my own redneck Bamar Daddy wasn't civil to me about this rivalry...are you kidding me???!!!

I love having you on the board and everything...really...but get real about this rivalry! :au::homer:

Ditto that. I hope Shula's lack of a spine and/or poor medical staff didn't cost this young man his football future.

148300[/snapback]

148320[/snapback]

No joke/pun intended. Are you saying that Shula doesn't have a history of stupid decisions regarding playing injured Bammer players??? :blink: Ask Pennington. Tim Castille played on a bum ankle the last couple of games. What about Croyle in the 2003 UGA game? I understand that Bama sucked last year and they had few offensive options. Shula played players that he shouldn't have played to keep bricks from being thrown through his office window. Seem to me you are the ignorant one BG.

The MOST ignorant thing I've seen on this board has to be the ridiculous posts after the 2004 Iron Bowl from you... ;)

I hate to see any young man's career potential be sidelined by injuries. Hope everything heals properly.

[Then we can just beat him fairly, on the playing field, as things should be! ]

Please note: AU always beats the T'loosers fairly on the playing field.

Again, Raven, you are mistakened. Pennington has already come out and said that the article about him "playing hurt" was taken out of context. And Guillon OBVIOUSLY wasnt ready to play in the bowl game since he STILL wasnt able to throw in spring practice this week.

Tim Castille did not play on a bum ankle. He blew his knee out in 3 places when he took a direct hit from a helmet on it in the UT game. You are probably referring to LeRon McClain. He had a sore ankle..yes..but it was too bad that he didnt want to play. And he didnt sustain any INJURY from it as he is showing no ill effects from it in spring practice.

So you, like EVERY OTHER PERSON who throws that lame excuse out, ONLY can point to 2003 UGA. Thats IT.

And after the doctors found the pelvis injury...Darby played SPARINGLY in 3rd down situations as a BLOCKER. Aaron Johns played the entire bowl game except for a few third down plays where we passed.

So I really dont understand your point. Darby WANTED to play. One of my best friends is a trainer. He said Darby actually looked good all week during the bowl practice.

I hope Darby makes a full recovery. I hate to see a promising career flushed down the tubes because of a career ending injury. Just imagine if Carnell was unable to return after his 2001 injury... We would have missed seeing one of the best talents to ever come through Auburn.

148300[/snapback]

148320[/snapback]

No joke/pun intended. Are you saying that Shula doesn't have a history of stupid decisions regarding playing injured Bammer players??? :blink: Ask Pennington. Tim Castille played on a bum ankle the last couple of games. What about Croyle in the 2003 UGA game? I understand that Bama sucked last year and they had few offensive options. Shula played players that he shouldn't have played to keep bricks from being thrown through his office window. Seem to me you are the ignorant one BG. ...

148388[/snapback]

The criticism of Shulla & his trainers or medical staff is legit. Last year, the public was told that Darby had suffered an "abdominal strain." Two possibilites, neither of which makes the medical staff/trainers look very good:

(1) Knowingly hiding the injury -- maybe they were taking a page out of Dennis Franchione's book about not revealing the true extent of an injury so as not to reveal a weakness to an opponent. Playing Darby all the while knowing his true injury status is unconscionable. If true, somebody should be fired over this. There is no valid justification possible .

(2) Misdiagnosis of the injury -- in this case, it makes the med staff look incompetent. I know misdiagnosis happens but geez, they played him 2 games with this injury. After seeing him unable to go in the 2nd half of the 1st game, someone should have suspected the injury was pretty serious. Total failure on their part. Again, somebody should be fired.

I guess you didnt read the paper after the bowl game.

Darby told everyone that they knew about the pelvis injury...but didnt want it to be known to the public because he didnt want other teams to have the BENEFIT of knowing that they wouldnt have to prepare for him.

So yeah, they held it from the public. If you skimmed over my post, you missed the part where I talked about how he was running in practice...but still played SPARINGLY. An injured pelvis, in this case, was a grey area. Its not like he was playing with a broken leg.

Darby had 1 freaking carry against Minnesota. Dont act like Shula was just riding his back and ignoring an injury.

Darby told everyone that they knew about the pelvis injury...but didnt want it to be known to the public because he didnt want other teams to have the BENEFIT of knowing that they wouldnt have to prepare for him.

So yeah, they held it from the public. If you skimmed over my post, you missed the part where I talked about how he was running in practice...but still played SPARINGLY. An injured pelvis, in this case, was a grey area. Its not like he was playing with a broken leg.

Darby had 1 freaking carry against Minnesota. Dont act like Shula was just riding his back and ignoring an injury.

148460[/snapback]

I stand corrected. I admit that I do not follow UAT any closer than any of our other SEC Western division teams.

UAT has lost (career ending) a player (a center, I believe) in the past to a similar injury. Why in the world was the guy even suited up??? 20 year old players making decisions that may affect their career or even their lives, makes perfect sense to me. Shouldn't the Head Coach be the one with the final decision??? An injured pelvis can be LIFE THREATENING, depending in the extent of the injury. Sure let's send him out, we can be assured that even blocking that he would not be injured further. :rolleyes: Shula rode him because he didn't have any other options. Let's just hope that after his career at Bama is finished, that he can be able to lead a normal life.

Best of luck to Ken Darby.

[Then we can just beat him fairly, on the playing field, as things should be!  ]

Please note: AU always beats the T'loosers fairly on the playing field.

148389[/snapback]

Why, of course! That's why I added the disclaimer "as things should be!" :D

148460[/snapback]

Well, let's put it this way: what impact did Darby's "1 freaking carry" in the MCB have on uat's fortune in that game? None, right? So why play him at all? Same thing for playing him in the Auburn game. If the intent was to hide the extent of the injury to make AU prepare for the possibility of him entering the game, what advantage did uat gain from letting Darby get pounded by the finest defense in the SEC, if not the nation?

I recognize that uat had many injuries last season. Still, that's no excuse for exposing an injured player to making his injury worse. If I was the cynical type, I would think that Shulla cared more about winning a game than he did about the welfare of his players. But that can't possibly be the case here ... could it?

So you are saying CTT has NEVER played a guy who was REMOTELY banged up?

It's not like wer are talking about a guy who had a broken ankle or leg. There is a grey area with this particular injury. ESPECIALLY if he was moving around fine in practice.

But its typical to see you beating up on Shula. Typical. If something can EVER be perceived two ways...you guys will always pick the one that is most negative towards bama.

I just read this thread for the first time.

Here's hoping Darby recovers.

I do wonder why he was playing while thatbadly injured. Not a rehash BG, just wonder what the real story was, misdiagnosed, or ignored?

(2) Misdiagnosis of the injury -- in this case, it makes the med staff look incompetent.  I know misdiagnosis happens but geez, they played him 2 games with this injury.  After seeing him unable to go in the 2nd half of the 1st game, someone should have suspected the injury was pretty serious.  Total failure on their part.  Again, somebody should be fired.

148428[/snapback]

i agree, but just make sure you ONLY FIRE THE WHITE DUDE!

:poke: sorry, couldn't resist!

Archived