McCain Says He Can’t Vote for Graham-Cassidy Health Bill

AUDub

Not looking good.

Senator John McCain said Friday he’ll vote against the GOP-only Obamacare repeal proposal, becoming the second Republican to oppose the measure and possibly dooming the ability of party leaders to enact it.

“I cannot in good conscience vote for the Graham-Cassidy proposal," McCain of Arizona said in a statement. "I believe we could do better working together, Republicans and Democrats, and have not yet really tried."

So with McCain and Paul on the no side, it comes down to Murkowski or Collins, both no votes on the previous bill.

Maybe this time, if it fails, the two parties can hash something out together to improve the current system.  This secret bill writing mess is for the birds.

4 hours ago, HVAU said:

Maybe this time, if it fails, the two parties can hash something out together to improve the current system.  This secret bill writing mess is for the birds.

Can't work with Democrats or they'll get primaried by their base, must work without Democrats because they don't have the votes and they can't just sit and do nothing because their mega-donors will stop giving money.

Quite a plight for the GOP.

5 hours ago, HVAU said:

Why does the current system need improvement?

I support the current system in general, but there are refinements that could further ease costs to consumers.  I'm also interested in single payer, though I'd like to see details on how to implement it without damaging the medical industry or bankrupting the government.

Collins was on Face the Nation this morning.  She seems very reticent to pass anything without seeing details from the CBO.  She also had a laundry list of items that make her a strong "no".  Most of those items are part of this new healthcare bill.

I was impressed by her discussion addressing, though briefly, the reasons for high health care costs.  She seems like one the few GOP members that isn't simply towing the party line, or brown nosing this clown show adminstration. 

Here is a thought.....how about they all work together to fix the problem instead of passing something for the sake of passing something. That is why were are in this position in the first place.

56 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Here is a thought.....how about they all work together to fix the problem instead of passing something for the sake of passing something. That is why were are in this position in the first place.

With Obamacare, they actually tried.

It grew out of the gang of six. There were concessions in the bill, there were addendums added to it per Republican request. It was nearly a carbon copy of the Republicans' plan from the 90's.

Why didn't they get any R votes? This guy:

Sen_Mitch_McConnell_official.jpg

who made it pretty well known that they were going to obstruct anything Obama attempted, with the goal of limiting him to one term. 

6 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

With Obamacare, they actually tried.

It grew out of the gang of six. There were concessions in the bill, there were addendums added to it per Republican request. It was nearly a carbon copy of the Republicans' plan from the 90's.

Why didn't they get any R votes? This guy:

Sen_Mitch_McConnell_official.jpg

who made it pretty well know that they were going to obstruct anything Obama attempted, with the goal of limiting him to one term. 

Doesn't take away that they still passed a crap bill with Obamacare. Both parties are to blame, considering both are really only looking out for themselves and lining their pockets and corporate buddy's pockets. I don't see any solution for the mess they have created over the years (more like decades.) Whatever they do will end up being a giant cluster ^%#^%$, because well....... it is what they do best. 

On 9/22/2017 at 9:47 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Why does the current system need improvement?

From what I've heard, premium costs are out of control in many areas and not everyone is covered.

But I am sure there are other things.

Premiums and deductibles are both high in some areas.  Frequently, but not always, the high costs correspond to states that neglected to set up exchanges in order to show defiance to the law.

Collins has come out in opposition of the bill. That makes 4 with McCain, Cruz and Rand Paul. I imagine Murkowski will come out in opposition shortly too. 

McCain and Trump both need to leave their personal feelings at the door when they go to work. 

That said, Trump NEEDS to apologize to a true American hero.  Senator McCain is a Hero, but he needs to understand that Trump has never served, and certainly never endured what he did to help preserve the lives of his fellow internees.  The stories I've read are hair-raising.  Trump was wrong for his statements about      McCain.  McCain isn't making it better.  His hard-headedness is hurting the entire economy, all because Trump hurt his feelings.  I bet the Cong did more than hurt his feelings, and they did it with much more malice.  Trump was being Trump...bombastic, accuracy challenged, and self-centered.  We knew all of this when we voted for him.  

Guys, Donald and John, hug and make up.  The country may just fail if you don't. 

25 minutes ago, joe6points said:

McCain and Trump both need to leave their personal feelings at the door when they go to work. 

That said, Trump NEEDS to apologize to a true American hero.  Senator McCain is a Hero, but he needs to understand that Trump has never served, and certainly never endured what he did to help preserve the lives of his fellow internees.  The stories I've read are hair-raising.  Trump was wrong for his statements about      McCain.  McCain isn't making it better.  His hard-headedness is hurting the entire economy, all because Trump hurt his feelings.  I bet the Cong did more than hurt his feelings, and they did it with much more malice.  Trump was being Trump...bombastic, accuracy challenged, and self-centered.  We knew all of this when we voted for him.  

Guys, Donald and John, hug and make up.  The country may just fail if you don't. 

No offense, but this sounds like someone who doesn't understand Trump - who and what he is.  

Have you just recently returned to the country from nowhere?

6 minutes ago, joe6points said:

Did you not see "bombastic, fact challenged, and self centered"?   Beyond that, I'm not sure what you  are questioning.

I was referring to your advice to Trump to "hug and make-up" - as if he might actually change his behavior for any other political purpose but his own.

Also, the comment "he needs to apologize" and "he needs to understand...."   

You sound so sincere.  But he doesn't give a s*** about understanding anything.  He doesn't see the point of it.  

Trump's not going to change.  He doesn't care to.   That should be obvious by now.

He is Self Centered.  He will do what ever he needs to do to maintain his public appearance.  He needs to "hug and make up" to increase his salt=f worth, and maybe help the country as well.

4 minutes ago, joe6points said:

He is Self Centered.  He will do what ever he needs to do to maintain his public appearance.  He needs to "hug and make up" to increase his salt=f worth, and maybe help the country as well.

Again, no offense, but this reminds me of an alcoholic I know that swears they understand what they need to do and are really, really going to do it.  This time.

He's not going to change.  You got who you voted for. 

If you still think he's preferable to Clinton, then bless your heart.

President Trump is infinitely preferable to ANY Clinton.  They have yet to ever tell much more that what would benefit their own bank accounts.  The only reason they haven't been indicted  is media bias.  the only reason Trump hasn't been indicted is because of public support...which may or may not affect near future elections.

Mrs. Clinton seems to make more enemies that allies.  There seem to be a lot of people going to jail behind them, but the Clinton clan, hey, whatever.

1 minute ago, joe6points said:

President Trump is infinitely preferable to ANY Clinton.  They have yet to ever tell much more that what would benefit their own bank accounts.  The only reason they haven't been indicted  is media bias.  the only reason Trump hasn't been indicted is because of public support...which may or may not affect near future elections.

Mrs. Clinton seems to make more enemies that allies.  There seem to be a lot of people going to jail behind them, but the Clinton clan, hey, whatever.

Bless your heart.

Now all you need to do is develop a realistic awareness of who you actually got.

1 hour ago, joe6points said:

McCain is actually bailing the economy out, especially in my sector which happens to be healthcare. Read the CBO report on the various iterations of this bill. 

We, a not for profit children's hospital, would be ****** six ways from Sunday should they pass this abomination.

8 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Doesn't take away that they still passed a crap bill with Obamacare. Both parties are to blame, considering both are really only looking out for themselves and lining their pockets and corporate buddy's pockets. I don't see any solution for the mess they have created over the years (more like decades.) Whatever they do will end up being a giant cluster ^%#^%$, because well....... it is what they do best. 

They passed a flawed bill that did some good things for us. It still needs a lot of work. Problem is, one side wasn't interested in fixing it. You know why? They needed a Boogeyman. It worked too. 

They realized that there is much more political capital to be gained from pointing out the perceived failures of the opposition's ideas than there is from proposing your own solutions, and they did everything they could to avoid working with the Dems for our benefit. 

Thank you for the detailed response as to why my union-mandated coverage has gone up so much.

Details help so much in every conversation. 

I didn't ask about politics. I asked about how it helped you, possibly at my families expense.  You do realize, of course, that the last player in the game is the one that has to pay the bills.  Think about it.  No paying patients, no payroll.  If I (Or the general population) can't afford to go to the doctor,  I won't. If I (or the genrtal population) don't go to the doctor, there is little reason to pay for non-essential personel.

14 minutes ago, joe6points said:

Please explain.

For the effect it would have on the economy, this would be a good read for you.

As for how it would affect hospitals like mine, most of our funding is Medicare/Medicaid. Guess what happens when that gets hit? We'd have a major contraction.

Archived