I Guess Free Speech Only Works One Way

Proud Tiger

This is just shameful and beyond belief. Mike Tomlin should be fired TODAY!!! Screw him and the Steelers until he is gone.  Just shows that free speech only works one way for some people. Actually Villanueva wasn't so much exercising free speech as he was honoring th flag. our national anthem, and our country. They lost the game by the way and I hope they lose all of them as long as Tomlin is their coach.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/09/25/steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-raps-alejandro-villanueva-for-standing-for-national-anthem.html

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Demanding hundred percent in attendance for protest. That’s about as sincere as mandatory fun day. 

Good analogy.

10 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

This is just shameful and beyond belief. Mike Tomlin should be fired TODAY!!! Screw him and the Steelers until he is gone.  Just shows that free speech only works one way for some people. Actually Villanueva wasn't so much exercising free speech as he was honoring th flag. our national anthem, and our country. They lost the game by the way and I hope they lose all of them as long as Tomlin is their coach.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/09/25/steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-raps-alejandro-villanueva-for-standing-for-national-anthem.html

Tomlin was noncommittal mostly. He doesn’t deserve that disdain. He didn’t want to offend the Anthem by kneeling and also wanted to send a message to Trump.  

He may actually be the win for America: For he had the crazy thought that he can peacefully protest without disrespecting the country. ????

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Tomlin was noncommittal mostly. He doesn’t deserve that disdain. He didn’t want to offend the Anthem by kneeling and also wanted to send a message to Trump.  

He may actually be the win for America: For he had the crazy thought that he can peacefully protest without disrespecting the country. ????

That's speculation. I hope you are right.

10 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That's speculation. I hope you are right.

It's not speculation.  It's right in the link you posted:

Tomlin told the media that, prior to kickoff Sunday, the Steelers held a team meeting and decided, though not unanimously, to not come out of the locker room for the national anthem. Tomlin added the intent was to have his team focus on the game and not President Trump’s comments blasting players who chose to protest during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner."

“Many of them felt like something needed to be done. I asked those guys to discuss it and whatever they discussed that we have 100 percent participation or we do nothing,” Tomlin said after the game. “They discussed it for an appropriate length of time and they couldn’t come to an understanding, so they chose to remove themselves from it. They were not going to be disrespectful in the anthem so they chose not to participate, but at the same time many of them were not going to accept the words of the president.”

Archived