Just A Quarter Of Americans Can Name All 3 Branches Of Government

DKW 86

Just A Quarter Of Americans Can Name All 3 Branches Of Government

Thankfully, 48 percent of those surveyed were able to identify freedom of speech as being a right enshrined by the First Amendment, although far fewer could identify other rights accorded.

These include freedom of religion (15 percent), freedom of the press (14 percent), right of peaceful assembly (10 percent), and right to petition the government (three percent).

“Protecting the rights guaranteed by the Constitution presupposes that we know what they are. The fact that many don’t is worrisome,” says Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center (APPC) of the University of Pennsylvania, in a press release. “These results emphasize the need for high-quality civics education in the schools and for press reporting that underscores the existence of constitutional protections.”

Meanwhile, only 26 percent of Americans could name all three branches of the federal government  that would be the executive, legislative, and judicial, for those playing at home.

While conservatives were more likely to be able to name all three branches than liberals or moderates, the overall proportion of the public that can name all three has fallen by 12 percent since 2011.

Perhaps most embarrassing: a full third of respondents couldn’t name a single federal branch of government, a figure that hasn’t shifted over the past half-decade.

If true, its a National Disgrace.  It may be due to the fact that history and civics have been so de-emphasized in favor of math and physical science.  We are trying to shove kids into physical science/math courses without understanding we also need to teach the past, so that we won't commit the same crimes against our own that we did before.  I know Ihave laughed at liberal arts school students before  but there are some things that must be preserved and passed along to future generations.  That's how people learn to deal with adversity and continue to speak civilly to one another.  Exchange of ideas based on experience... 

17 minutes ago, joe6points said:

If true, its a National Disgrace.  It may be due to the fact that history and civics have been so de-emphasized in favor of math and physical science.  We are trying to shove kids into physical science/math courses without understanding we also need to teach the past, so that we won't commit the same crimes against our own that we did before.  I know Ihave laughed at liberal arts school students before  but there are some things that must be preserved and passed along to future generations.  That's how people learn to deal with adversity and continue to speak civilly to one another.  Exchange of ideas based on experience... 

Science and math don't hinder you from reading the constitution.  It's not that long.

No.  But it would be very helpful if there was a little bit of history emphasized. Hell, I'm in a very mechanical field.  I make paper.  There's a lot of chemistry and math involved.  And the computer offers a "history module" so we can look back in time to see what worked.

6 minutes ago, joe6points said:

No.  But it would be very helpful if there was a little bit of history emphasized. Hell, I'm in a very mechanical field.  I make paper.  There's a lot of chemistry and math involved.  And the computer offers a "history module" so we can look back in time to see what worked.

I don't know, but I can't imagine this is a curriculum issue.  There's something else going on.

IMO "history" is mostly learned on your own, but the basics - including civics - has to be presented at some point to prevent our democracy from failing,  if it isn't already failing.    

Uh-oh.  IDIOT ALERT!  IDIOT ALERT!

That is the second most idiotic thing I have ever heard, right behind, "If you like your doctor...,  if you like your plan.."

39 minutes ago, joe6points said:

Uh-oh.  IDIOT ALERT!  IDIOT ALERT!

That is the second most idiotic thing I have ever heard, right behind, "If you like your doctor...,  if you like your plan.."

Who are you talking to? :dunno:

42 minutes ago, joe6points said:

I don't know, but I can't imagine this is a curriculum issue.

I think you are confused.  You implied that kids aren't taught basic civics, which as I recall, happens in late elementary school. You even implied it was replaced by math and science.

So, to clarify, are you saying civics is no longer part of the curriculum?  (That's what I would call a "curriculum issue".)

I am pretty certain that civics is still on the curriculum of every elementary school, public or private.  There's something else going on.  It's not because the material isn't being presented.

17 minutes ago, joe6points said:

Again, a quote:

IMO "history" is mostly learned on your own,

I need details on this one!

IMO, the amount and quality of history one receives in school is relatively limted and extremely superficial.   

So, as a general statement and unless you major in history, most of the history one learns comes from personal reading of history books.  

People who don't acquire their historical knowedge by personally seeking out and reading books - relying only on what they were presented in school textbooks -  have a severely limited understanding of any historical event.  (To put it politely.)

Does that make more sense?

(Oh, btw, beware of using "background color" in the font menu.  It's hard to read.)

13 minutes ago, joe6points said:

You do understand that history reaches beyond your earliest memories, don't you?

If that's supposed to be wit, it was a sad failure.

I'd be a lot more careful about using the "Idiot alert" thing too.  It can make you look pretty foolish.

I don't know.  All I can say is there are a lot of misconceptions about what has happened since Columbus landed here. 
The Native Americans?  Defeated, maligned, and mistreated.  I have Creek Indian blood in my family. They seem to do a pretty fair job of handling the mistakes of our past leaders.  Black Americans:  I can think of no group of people that have been more taken advantage of.  They are absolutely the salt of the earth.  They were born and bred in Africa, doing whatever they needed to do to survive.  They were brought here against their will, by people that sought only to profit themselves. Often, they were sold by their own "government" leaders, simply because their family was prosperous, outspoken, or just had pretty daughters.  There is no doubt that there were mistakes made by all humans.  This is all history.  Until we understand what we have done, we can not correct it.  

That background thing was strictly fat fingers directed by an old feeble minded individual. 

The revelation about history and literature came about fairly recently. Probably only 30 years or so ago.  Liberal arts aren't out there to teach you how to win a Pulitzer. They are more technical than that.  They try to teach you what others were able to accomplish, and what the conditions were around at the time, plus their motivations.  

8 minutes ago, joe6points said:

That background thing was strictly fat fingers directed by an old feeble minded individual. 

The revelation about history and literature came about fairly recently. Probably only 30 years or so ago.  Liberal arts aren't out there to teach you how to win a Pulitzer. They are more technical than that.  They try to teach you what others were able to accomplish, and what the conditions were around at the time, plus their motivations.  

What "revelation about history and literature"?  You've lost me.

Archived