Chuck Person

AUApostle

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think that's problem for AU but I'm doubting he knew anything.....no reason for him to know and CP dealing with a competing shoe company.....nobody could be that stupid you would think....running the risk of screwing up a pretty lucrative deal that Auburn has with Under Armor. I'm giving everyone at AU but CP a pass at the moment but still betting we get hammered since one way or another it looks like one or more players got impermissible benefits and played a bunch of games for AU.

The shoe company thing is not with CP or Auburn...it is with other schools. It looks like CP was scooped up dealing with shady people to begin with. In a way it almost looks like it opened the door to the bigger fish that got caught.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Damnit, Chuck.  You played 14 years in the NBA, 8 years as an NBA assistant coach, and you pull down half a mil at Auburn.  And you're scrounging around for $50,000 loans?  Idiot.

it really hurts and why Auburn? All the hundred plus something school and one of our own

36 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Oh geez. 

Looking back on this - this section is interesting as it is part of the indictment.  Remember that an indictment is a legal document not summary of rules breaking against the NCAA.  This portion is to demonstrate thoughtful and willful collusion of bribery, fraud and embezzlement.  It's interesting that the wording and phraseology supports the NCAA in taking "further" action.  In other words, it leaves open for the NCAA to extend it's actions based on the material the FBI supplied. Keep in mind that legally the FBI can't be used as an investigative arm of a non-government entity - although findings from a judicial entity are commonly used in the private sector.   It looks like the FBI's legal action and indictment are intertwined with NCAA goals, even though NCAA rules are not law.  I expect to see some interesting law challenges here after the high paid lawyers deep dive this.  It's a mess, the big dance in basketball may have just been convened in the courtroom.

1 minute ago, wdefromtx said:

The shoe company thing is not with CP or Auburn...it is with other schools. It looks like CP was scooped up dealing with shady people to begin with. In a way it almost looks like it opened the door to the bigger fish that got caught.

Sounded like he was at the intersection of a shoe company, and a couple sports agents......taking money to direct kids to certain agents....some of who run basketball schools, and maybe setting up future sponsorship deals.    Sure ...he was not officially representing Auburn but from what I read, he has tainted one or two players who subsequently played for us.    I don't think that's going to be forgiven by the NCAA.

Just now, TigerOne said:

wouldn't be surprised if there are updyke connections in this

This is way to big for them. But they are laughing all the way to the bank today.

Also, there are some saying that this will bring the NCAA to set up shop on Auburn’s campus.  Don’t they realize that the NCAA is already here, shop and all?  I’ve heard they are still investigating the softball fiasco.

1 minute ago, TigerOne said:

The REC had nothing to do with Person committing a federal crime.

wde

3 minutes ago, oldaufeller said:

Looking back on this - this section is interesting as it is part of the indictment.  Remember that an indictment is a legal document not summary of rules breaking against the NCAA.  This portion is to demonstrate thoughtful and willful collusion of bribery, fraud and embezzlement.  It's interesting that the wording and phraseology supports the NCAA in taking "further" action.  In other words, it leaves open for the NCAA to extend it's actions based on the material the FBI supplied. Keep in mind that legally the FBI can't be used as an investigative arm of a non-government entity - although findings from a judicial entity are commonly used in the private sector.   It looks like the FBI's legal action and indictment are intertwined with NCAA goals, even though NCAA rules are not law.  I expect to see some interesting law challenges here after the high paid lawyers deep dive this.  It's a mess, the big dance in basketball may have just been convened in the courtroom.

At minimum - Auburn is going to take some hard hits to reputation even if we skirt the legal stuff.  Truly sad.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Sounded like he was at the intersection of a shoe company, and a couple sports agents......taking money to direct kids to certain agents....some of who run basketball schools, and maybe setting up future sponsorship deals.    Sure ...he was not officially representing Auburn but from what I read, he has tainted one or two players who subsequently played for us.    I don't think that's going to be forgiven by the NCAA.

He was dealing with a cooperating witness and some suit guy in New York city. 

Louisville on the other hand has a mess 100x worse than Auburn.

2 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Also, there are some saying that this will bring the NCAA to set up shop on Auburn’s campus.  Don’t they realize that the NCAA is already here, shop and all?  I’ve heard they are still investigating the softball fiasco.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA is funding the AU Hotel and Conference Center renovations.

51 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I do.  And so does everyone else.  That is why everything was dropped and why Mickey Dean agreed to leave his program and join us.

Not the AU player that played for the Myers and works with me.  The amount of crap swept under the rug by our AD to keep a lid on what was going on is pretty sickening.  It does appear that Jay's "father figure" letter worked to fool at least one person.    

5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

The REC had nothing to do with Person committing a federal crime.

wde

mean the investigators /alumni, friends etc. No Person did this beaut by himself knowing how the NBA works.

2 minutes ago, autigersj said:

This guy reported Cowart was gone the day before it happened...

this may be true (i will wait to believe it), but if JJ is fired before the federally indicted CP ... that would be crazy!

2 minutes ago, autigersj said:

This guy reported Cowart was gone the day before it happened...

crossing_fingers_kevin_bacon.gif

I am sure the NCAA will come sniffing around but from everything I have read none of this was done by CP to entice a recruit to sign with Auburn but more to benefit CP personally once the player is done at Auburn and hopefully in the NBA.   Unless someone else had knowledge of this besides CP, the players and player's family I don't see how Auburn could get in trouble other than possibly having to vacate wins due to a player receiving improper benefits even though those benefits were not provided by anyone connected to the university (except CP) or university boosters.  

Does anyone expect a comment from BP on this issue?     

Maybe everyone has been told to zip it and let Leath speak for the university.   Sounds like he's taken charge for AU.....which in my view is excellent news.

10 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Not everything is a bammer conspiracy.  One of our own did this.  He wasn't coerced, he was just greedy.

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

this is not the time nor the situation to fire JJ. 

Yeah I kinda feel the same way. That make it seem AU was aware of something and did nothing. More fire for the NCAA...

2 minutes ago, aubietiger14 said:

I am sure the NCAA will come sniffing around but from everything I have read none of this was done by CP to entice a recruit to sign with Auburn but more to benefit CP personally once the player is done at Auburn and hopefully in the NBA.   Unless someone else had knowledge of this besides CP, the players and player's family I don't see how Auburn could get in trouble other than possibly having to vacate wins due to a player receiving improper benefits even though those benefits were not provided by anyone connected to the university (except CP) or university boosters.  

it seems that way at the moment

I know we don't want to call out players, but is there any info to who these players are? It would really shock me if this was Wiley, considering who his mother is. A former NCAA athlete that knows her son is talented enough to make the NBA without colliding with an agent. Would surprise me. 

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

I know we don't want to call out players, but is there any info to who these players are? It would really shock me if this was Wiley, considering who his mother is. A former NCAA athlete that knows her son is talented enough to make the NBA without colliding with an agent. Would surprise me. 

All evidence points to Wiley in the indictment.

Archived