Chuck Person

AUApostle

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

The FBI says the whole investigation is still ongoing and gave out a tip # and said call us before we call you. I know other school mentioned that are being looked at are Louisville and Miami what are some of the others?

e7109327e8a8f6e35137b4587d4c2a825ea8e754

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Not everything is a bammer conspiracy.  One of our own did this.  He wasn't coerced, he was just greedy.

You are not giving us enough credit. Don't you realize a bammer grad is the AG and over the Justice Department. Trump actually appointed Sessions at saban's request so they could hammer our basketball team because we actually had a chance to turn things around. 

I have read plenty of conspiracy theories on Auburn boards over the years so there is no telling what we can come up with.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20826573/what-need-know-fbi-ncaa-basketball-investigation

What about the head coaches at these programs?

The assistants charged by the authorities have larger concerns than their employment status right now. As for the head coaches who employed them, the first question will be simply whether any of the charged defendants come forward with information directly implicating their head coaches.

Assuming no further information comes out documenting that head coaches had knowledge of what was taking place, much will depend on these coaches' track records in terms of compliance with NCAA rules, as well as the language on their current contracts. If the past is any guide, any terminations issued by university presidents could well be made the subject of a wrongful termination suit by the head coach who was fired.

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

The FBI is not the NCAA when it comes to assigning fault.  The NCAA is going in deep and hard on AU.  We hired a guy who had been given a show cause timeout by the NCAA as our HC the virtual minute he came off of show cause.  

Do you recall the circumstances of Pearl's show cause penalty? It appears to me that perhaps you don't. Pearl invited a high school junior to a cookout at his home, and then lied about it and encouraged the player's father to lie about it as well.  It was a cookout. The big issue was the lying. It wasn't a case of money changing hands. It was a relatively minor infraction which, had Pearl owned up to it and not lied/encouraged lying about would have amounted to a slap on the wrist.

3 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Do you recall the circumstances of Pearl's show cause penalty? It appears to me that perhaps you don't. Pearl invited a high school junior to a cookout at his home, and then lied about it and encouraged the player's father to lie about it as well.  It was a cookout. The big issue was the lying. It wasn't a case of money changing hands. It was a relatively minor infraction which, had Pearl owned up to it and not lied/encouraged lying about would have amounted to a slap on the wrist.

I totally recall it. Pearl lied to the NCAA.  Keep it down home cuz am I right?

wde

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

All evidence points to Wiley in the indictment.

Where did you see this?  Wiley is definitely discussed earlier in the legal filing, but on page 21 of the legal filing, it says Person touted a specific player (Player 1) that person wanted to steer to the government witness. and that player was likely to enter the NBA the next season and the only other clue is that he meets with Player 1 every week at Player 1's mom's house.  (This could be Purifoy as easily as it is Wiley.)  

6 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

While his response was strong and needed, let's not raise Leath to the almighty standard of propriety and leadership...still disagree extremely with both the process of his hiring and his hiring, but I digress...

back to our regularly scheduled Auburn Soap Opera of Self-Imposed Foot-Shooting ?

C'mon man!  That was while he was at Iowa State...he's changed now that he's an Auburn man.  

10 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Well, I don't see Chuck stepping foot on Auburn's campus ever again. It makes me sick that he'd do this.

Really?  There's a  link somewhere in this thread where Chuck admitted he took payments from Auburn while he was a player.  I'm a shocked that the corruption in BB has finally been unearthed, but I and not shocked that a former player knowingly broke rules and accepted $$ as a player turned AU coach would offer the same to AU players/recruits.

Chuck literally coached an AU player and his parent on how the scheme worked, he told them it was against NCAA rules and they willingly accepted.  

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

To be honest, I'd bet my entire bank account Wiley is one of the players implicated.

Player 1 is definitely Heron.  Page 24 of the filing - Person tells him not to tell his sisters and just keep it between his mom and it would be his decision to share with his stepfather.  (Heron has a stepdad and sisters (and a half brother).  But I haven't seen anything yet that indicates who player 2 is.  

Further, I presume you guys have seen/heard Vicky Orr speak before.  She is squared away.  Austin's dad, Aubrey, has also been through NCAA stuff.  BOTH of them would know that accepting money would potentially end their son's collegiate career.  Risk that for a few thousand $?  She doesn't strike me as the type that would make rash decisions.  What's the hurry?  Further, on the phone call on page 29-30, when Person recommends not using a second money manager and just sticking with the government witness to manage their son's money, she says, "I'm committing to going with him (the government witness)......right?"  She doesn't even know which money manager she's actually committing to?  She's letting Person drive the bus on which money manager her son, a future gazillionaire, is going to commit to?   Does that sound like a Vicky Orr type response in that quote?  (I don't know the Wiley's, but I'm skeptical that they'd be willing to let Person drive the bus here on who their son chooses to manage his future finances.  Do they have a need to be in a hurry to make a decision like that at this juncture?) 

13 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

Where did you see this?  Wiley is definitely discussed earlier in the legal filing, but on page 21 of the legal filing, it says Person touted a specific player (Player 1) that person wanted to steer to the government witness. and that player was likely to enter the NBA the next season and the only other clue is that he meets with Player 1 every week at Player 1's mom's house.  (This could be Purifoy as easily as it is Wiley.)  

He mentions the "1 and a half year and done." That is Wiley.

31 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

The FBI is not the NCAA when it comes to assigning fault.  The NCAA is going in deep and hard on AU.  

The FBI director stated that the schools are not on the hook. Things can change as it is ongoing, but the NCAA should feel violated by the money mangers as well.  Again, it was a 2-year FBI investigation.

• Schools are not on the hook, according to United States Attorney Joon Kim. The assistants at USC, Arizona, Oklahoma State and Auburn are all implicated, but neither the schools themselves -- nor the head coaches at those schools -- have been levied with any allegations.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/explaining-the-fbi-probe-and-the-corruption-scandal-rocking-college-basketball/

34 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

He mentions the "1 and a half year and done." That is Wiley.

Yes, he refers to Wiley in that way on page 19 of the filing, but he doesn't define that same player as either Player 1 or Player 2.  (He's telling the government witness about a kid that definitely is Wiley and says they need to set up a meeting with his mom, but then page 20 goes to the meeting with Player 1.  (Heron is Player 1 and Heron's mom is Mom 1, because Person states that you can share this stuff with his step dad but not his sisters (Heron has sisters and a stepdad) or anybody else.  Wiley doesn't have a stepdad.)   So that rules out Wiley as player 1 and leaves him as potential player 2.  But it also leaves Purifoy, the other likely "NBA ready player".  We've always been told Purifoy is a likely NBA player.

Heron is clearly done as his mom accepted money ($1k)(Page 20 section 6) and they clearly knew what they were doing was a violation as Person warned them about it and told them to keep quiet and not change their lifestyle.  

I don't think it's so clear that Player 2 accepted money.  Mom 2 agreed to commit to the government witness as a money manager and Person says of the $91,500 he received, he "claimed" to pay Player 1's family $11,000, and Player 2's family $7,500, but the complaint says this is only stated by Person.  Person could easily have lied about that.  We are talking greed here.  The co-defendant also said he gave $5,000 (of the $49,000 he received) to Mom 2.  Again, could be lies, but the Feds may be able to follow that rabbit trail if it was paid by check or wire.  

I just see nothing in there about Player 2 actually receiving cash, only claims by Person and the co-defendant that they both forked over cash to Mom 1 and 2.  Mom 1 definitely received cash, on page 27 paragraph 46 - "Person also told Mother 1 and stepfather 1 that (government witness) would pay them $1,000 in cash that day, which payment (government witness) provided at the meeting."

I'm worried there will be more to come. At this point, it almost seems like "fire these bad coaches, we aren't mad at the universities." Hard to imagine we get that attitude all the way through.

The thing that gets me, and I'm melting harder than I should be as I haven't been able to read into it all yet, is that Person was so excited about the "one and a half and done" thing in those quotes. Something that Pearl was saying a lot of too. 

We have been a terrible basketball school forever and we start competing for 5* players... only to pay the price. Many just assumed we were finally doing what other top bball schools have been doing for decades - cheating. Well maybe we were not paying them to play for us, but CP was not playing by the rules. 

Honestly I think this type of thing happens everywhere all the time with AAU bball players and most of the time it is just accepted, but CP was reckless and stupid. Sounds like he got greedy and he/AU/some players are going to have issues. 

It will be interesting to see who is playing for us in a few weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Charhair said:

I'm worried there will be more to come. At this point, it almost seems like "fire these bad coaches, we aren't mad at the universities." Hard to imagine we get that attitude all the way through.

The thing that gets me, and I'm melting harder than I should be as I haven't been able to read into it all yet, is that Person was so excited about the "one and a half and done" thing in those quotes. Something that Pearl was saying a lot of too. 

Expect the Feds just revealed the tip of the iceberg.....enough to justify their case but if it was a two year investigation it would likely take more than 20 pages or whatever to detail all of the dirty laundry they came across.

Person just ended his career, ruined his life, ended the college career these players.  If it IS proven Player 2/Player 2 mom got cash, Person just eliminated 2 of the top players in the conference, doomed AU to the cellar for another year, and quite possibly ended Bruce Pearl's career as well.  Oh and invited the NCAA to come fish around in AU's pockets for a while.  I realize I'm stating the obvious, but man, what a day.    

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

For the love of God, why?

We need a real leader. That is why.

Heron is a huge loss in itself - if true. 

He will go on to the NBA and have a great career I'd think. He's really good. Professional sports don't care about morals or anything else - he will be ok. 

Surely Wiley's parents don't need 5k that bad? Not sure they are dumb enough, but you never know. He was the only player to come during middle of season (well, December). 

Sucks for sure. 

But you guys are right in that this has been going on for years and years. The FBI using somebody to rat is probably something they haven't faced and they all thought it was like normal and could get away with it. Not so fast  

20 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

We need a real leader. That is why.

To replace Bruce?  That was Persons "leader"

I do believe JJ won't make it through this one, but if you look around...there could be a TON of folks not making it through this one by the time it's done. Not sure JJ himself could have known about this unless specifically told.  It's not like he would sit it on meetings between assistants and players parents. 

Point here is that a different leader would not likely have changed this outcome. Person acted in a horrible way and considering Bruce isn't even considered involved it seems he acted alone.  That doesn't fall on leadership per se.  It likely will fall there, but it doesn't mean they could have prevented it short of having audio recordings of every single word every assistant ever says any time any where. It's just not plausible.  

Again though, JJ won't last through this one simply because he allowed the hiring of Chuck (though it was almost certainly pushed by everyone involved)

Archived