Chuck Person

AUApostle

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

How so?  I wasn't aware for instance that Austin had a stepfather?

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

How so?  I wasn't aware for instance that Austin had a stepfather?

Austin doesn't have a step father.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

Looks to me Person's acted on his own, as did the other coaches from the other schools.

He acted on his own while wearing an AU shirt, representing Auburn University and enticed a player to sign with Auburn while simultaneously facilitating impermissible benefits to the player and his mother.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

He acted on his own while wearing an AU shirt, representing Auburn University and enticed a player to sign with Auburn while simultaneously facilitating impermissible benefits to the player and his mother.

Then what was Auburn supposed to do to stop him? Audit his personal bank accounts every month?

Interesting...maybe it's my crappy computer but I went to the AU basketball website and it seems to be shut down....no schedule, no roster, no nothing...just several pages of white screen.

I thought practice might be under way now and some practice games soon...just wondering who will be on the roster when practice officially starts.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Interesting...maybe it's my crappy computer but I went to the AU basketball website and it seems to be shut down....no schedule, no roster, no nothing...just several pages of white screen.

I thought practice might be under way now and some practice games soon...just wondering who will be on the roster when practice officially starts.

It's your computer.  Site is working fine.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

it is your computer, no updates on roster

So the question is "why would Person do this?" I can think of 4 possibilities...

1. Because he's broke and needs to skim some money from all this for himself?    He makes $250k/yr and played many years in NBA, so unless he's stupid, a gambler, or drug addict, he shouldn't be broke.

2. He's buddies with the "advisor" and trying to get him clients?  I think it was mentioned by the prosecutor that they barely knew or vetted the "advisors"

3. He wants to support financially that "poor student athlete from a disadvantaged background"?  Maybe so, but only if that poor kid is a star prospect.

4. He is trying to get star players to come play for AU and thinks he's got the funding set?  I think this is your answer.  Unfortunately for Person, that broke laws, the FBI caught wind and he's looking at jail time.  Unfortunately for AU, this is a clear NCAA violation. Establish a trail to BP,  other assistants or the waterboy and they'll charge AU with "lack of institutional control". 

EDIT: I went back and looked over the charges deeper (should have done this before posting the above). It seems he was more motivated by #1 and #3 than #4.

52 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Also, do we even know said players ever received money.......we know Person did but I am not sure the players did. At least from the undercover witness.

NM...saw where $1,000 payment was made. Ugh.

Doesn't he just have to pay it back? That's what bama players have had to do in the past.

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Can't fire him yet. Have to work out the details. Contract stuff.

Should he not be fired for cause? Who ever pull Jacobs' strings must be out of town, and JJ couldn't get hold of him to find out what he should do. DAMN! I go spend a couple of hours on the golf course, and come home to this. Heads should roll in that athletic dept. Double Damn!

9 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Thats what is puzzling me????I didn't think so either

He doesn't, but the timeline is that he told the witness and Michel that the number 9 player in the country would soon be playing for Auburn in January. This was in November. Wiley joined us right behind that.

Really no one else it could be. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Doesn't he just have to pay it back? That's what bama players have had to do in the past.

Or technically if it was federal money paid by CW-1, can it just be considered a "federal grant." :cool:

13 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

it is your computer, no updates on roster

:) Actually it is my crappy ISP......live in a rural area and it's not very reliable......and very SLOOOOOW ...thanks...

http://scout.com/college/auburn/Team/Auburn-Tigers-169/Roster

Like trying to walk through a cow pasture without stepping in anything. May have avoided it but you still carry the stench when you reach the other side. Guilty or not, this is bad PR for AU.  At best will probably impact future recruiting.

20 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

It is going to be interesting to find out who made the first move. Whether it was the financial advisor in a sting operation after he made a deal on his other charges or if Person make the first contact.  Whatever the case, we need to hope this stops with Person. If it doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the same thing the financial advisor did and cut a deal with the Feds too. One of the worse things in all this and there were many, is to see Person lead a kid to an agent just for his own personal payoff without considering if the agent is honest, qualified or would take advantage of the kid. Sad stuff all round.

I can almost guarantee it started with the financial advisor.  Taking away what the advisor did, the SEC (through the FBI) would not have gotten involved.  It would have been just the NCAA.  Since the FBI was involved, they were the ones first in on this.  The FBI only cared about the advisor in this case because he was involved in a felony on an SEC level.  When you attain your Series 6 and 63, or Series 7 and 66 (what I have) you have to be registered with the SEC and on the FBI database, fingerprints and all.  This permits the SEC to track every single move you make and your firm is audited once or twice a year at random.  Chuck would not have been registered with the SEC so they would only have been tracking him through the transactions of the advisor.

7 minutes ago, AUFast said:

Did anyone else watch the press conference, he said that the persons (coaches and student athletes) intentionally defrauded the school. 

Yep, I saw it.  I haven’t heard anything about auburn being implicated in any wrong doing.  Auburn has just had to deal with some bad publicity lately.

Just looking around at the other schools....best thing AU has going for it is that folks are calling for the death penalty for Louisville who is already on NCAA probation for what is usually considered moral turpitude or something and Southern California's basketball program is not that many years past  a nasty NCAA problem too. 

1 minute ago, WeagleAU said:

Yep, I saw it.  I haven’t heard anything about auburn being implicated in any wrong doing.  Auburn has just had to deal with some bad publicity lately.

Yes unfortunately but no wrong doing on AU part

Just now, AUFast said:

Not on the federal side, on the NCAA side of things, however...

2 minutes ago, AUFast said:

Hopefully, this is the result of the AU and NCAA investigation. But, if the implicated players signed a contract with an agent or advisor and accepted money for that signature, there will be sanctions. 

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

Not on the federal side, on the NCAA side of things, however...

This keeps being said,  is there information out there you know about that can substantiate auburn being implicated in wrong doing?  I have seen no sources pointing to auburn being involved in wrong doing by feds or NCAA.

Seems that these days most schools get into NCAA problems because of their own actions......used to be that alums were the most dangerous but schools have mostly done a good job of keeping over-eager alums at a distance during recruiting ...which leaves it up to coaches to screw up and bring their schools down. 

Not being aware has not been a good defense lately.

Archived