Chuck Person

AUApostle

4 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

To replace Bruce?  That was Persons "leader"

I do believe JJ won't make it through this one, but if you look around...there could be a TON of folks not making it through this one by the time it's done. Not sure JJ himself could have known about this unless specifically told.  It's not like he would sit it on meetings between assistants and players parents. 

Point here is that a different leader would not likely have changed this outcome. Person acted in a horrible way and considering Bruce isn't even considered involved it seems he acted alone.  That doesn't fall on leadership per se.  It likely will fall there, but it doesn't mean they could have prevented it short of having audio recordings of every single word every assistant ever says any time any where. It's just not plausible.  

Again though, JJ won't last through this one simply because he allowed the hiring of Chuck (though it was almost certainly pushed by everyone involved)

It is my understanding that Bruce was encouraged to hire Persons

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn Basketball has a long and storied tradition of selfish people involved with the program shooting it in the foot. Anybody remember Varez Ward and the point shaving scandal? Yeah, that time we spent an entire season with our starting PG playing for the other team. The FBI is no stranger to Auburn Basketball. 

10 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Ditto. And it's not like Chuck Person was not an extremely popular hire. He was. I can recall a time when a good number of folks at various AU forums wanted to find a way for him to be AU's head coach. (IIRC, one of the impediments at the time was that Person did not yet have an undergraduate degree.)

13 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Exactly. I very seriously doubt he was pushed by JJ alone is my point.  However those that truly pushed his hiring are the untouchables who will never see any consequences. They will just appoint a fall guy (likely JJ)

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Ditto. And it's not like Chuck Person was not an extremely popular hire. He was. I can recall a time when a good number of folks at various AU forums wanted to find a way for him to be AU's head coach. (IIRC, one of the impediments at the time was that Person did not yet have an undergraduate degree.)

I was one of those happy people,too

It's pretty well understood that a big reason for Chuck's hiring is several higher ups wanted a former AU player on staff and he was the best candidate. It's also a reason why he was promoted to associate head coach after Tony Jones departure.

I don't know how easy it is to vet a coaching candidate when you're looking to hire them, but I'm wondering if the potential for this to occur with CP was a reason for BP's apprehension to hiring him and promoting him initially.

And now Bruce coins be looking at the higher ups who pushed for CP's hiring (and CP himself) and saying 'Thanks a lot'.

11 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

In the end, will coach Pearl remain our basketball coach or will this stuff with Chuck Person cause Bruce to step down?

I've seen no indication of knowledge of Person's actions by Pearl and no indication of wrongdoing by Pearl.  The FBI is saying that this is on Person, and the university is a victim.  Unless there are changes to all of that, I can't see why Pearl would need to step down/.

5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Where has Jacobs been during all of this? I haven't heard anything out of the boy. Jay must be hiding.

Many are suspecting the fact JJ has been quiet and Leath has been the one  to speak could be indication of JJ's termination. Our fingers can only be crossed but it's certainly suspect.

Well that was a surprise to me....was thinking it was a USCw coach involved but tuns out to be UCCe......second SEC school involved apparently but AU (of course) seems to be getting most of the national media attention.

There is more to follow ....and more schools involved in what looks like sort of a sting.

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Where has Jacobs been during all of this? I haven't heard anything out of the boy. Jay must be hiding.

Leath made a statement and since it is an ongoing Federal investigation I bet the AU lawyers have advised to keep closed mouth until told otherwise and then all statements will come through Leath. The FBI dropped a bomb on everyone today including the NCAA. There are some lawfirms around the country staying up late tonight. My bet is nobody talks for a few days at minimum until the lawyers digest the 200 page indictment.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well that was a surprise to me....was thinking it was a USCw coach involved but tuns out to be UCCe......second SEC school involved apparently but AU (of course) seems to be getting most of the national media attention.

There is more to follow ....and more schools involved in what looks like sort of a sting.

Luckily the national media hasn't been too concerned with Auburn, they've talked about CP some mainly because he spent 14 years in the NBA. But they have used that as a lead into Louisville and if Pitino can survive this scandal.

At least with Louisville in such a giant mess we will hopefully continue to be a sidebar at most.

10 hours ago, autigersj said:

How long before we get the news that Heron and Wiley have been indefinitely suspended from the team??? No info, just speculation.

then don't throw out names...

10 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Hell yes. All of the programs. Better hope the football program is squeaky clean. There won't be any room for anything. The whole AD is going to be probed by the FED's. And they have subpoena powers unlike the NCAA. 

and the AG is a bammer. this is the first little piece of ALL the do do hitting the fan

28 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

He's been retweeting the president's info as his own.

This is all I've seen regarding Bruce. Someone correct me if I've missed something:

not sure how to take that. She also tweeted "Hoops practice is scheduled to start Friday." So I guess we'll (at the least) having something more to speculate over come the weekend.

7 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He's been retweeting the president's info as his own.

:)  

Expect as someone noted.....best for AU for nobody to say nothing....  Leath made a statement and I hope that is all that is said for now.    But....bet the top folks at AU are burning the midnight oil with JJ and BP trying to figure out what happens now..  Basketball is just around the corner and someone has to decide how much risk there is to practice any guys who may be even remotely involved.  

Elsewhere....looks like this is round one and there may be a number of additional schools in this mess before much longer.

1 minute ago, Charhair said:

This is all I've seen regarding Bruce. Someone correct me if I've missed something:

not sure how to take that. She also tweeted "Hoops practice is scheduled to start Friday." So I guess we'll (at the least) having something more to speculate over come the weekend.

As expected. The other schools involved cancelled their access to their coaches as well.

I am sure that lawyers are asking everyone in the AD what do you know and are you involved in something we need to know about. 

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

Afraid that won't wash......Southern Cal, Arizona and probably Louisville included....we are in good company....and I expect the FBI could care less about who got caught in their snare.

PS    The targets were the shoe companies....not the schools....

Also hearing maybe Miami implicated.  Also in the press conference the DA said the investigation is ongoing.  I'm betting with the shoe and apparel exec's involved, there are other coaches at more schools involved.  This may turn out to be a huge overall basketball scandal.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

:)  

Expect as someone noted.....best for AU for nobody to say nothing....  Leath made a statement and I hope that is all that is said for now.    But....bet the top folks at AU are burning the midnight oil with JJ and BP trying to figure out what happens now..  Basketball is just around the corner and someone has to decide how much risk there is to practice any guys who may be even remotely involved.  

Elsewhere....looks like this is round one and there may be a number of additional schools in this mess before much longer.

anyone believe an Auburn coach is the only one in the sec that was doing this?

5 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

anyone believe an Auburn coach is the only one in the sec that was doing this?

Well the Okie St. assistant that was busted, the FBI said he did it when he was at USCe also before leaving to Okie St. So there involved.

Archived