next Head Coach

Eagle-1

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

No school is ever going to offer “one year “ deals as every hire they feel like they’ve found their coach of the future, just like when you hire a guy for a regular job you feel like you may have a future long term employee, but just like in regular jobs, they shouldn’t be rewarded for failing. There should be a termination based on performance clause in every contract just like you can fire an employee who underperforms.

Not sure what line of work you are in but that's not how contracts work....So you want to be able to fire him anytime you want if you are not satisfied with his performance yet he has to stay for the period of the contract even if he has a better offer. ...never going to happen.    No agent will let a client sign something like that.  

I worked under contract in my last job and had to give a six month notice before leaving.   Contract keeps a coach from holding up his employer if he has a good year and all of a sudden is in demand and threatens to leave, or just comes in one day and cleans out his desk.  

You might not like it but guess you just have to accept the realities of the world and quit worrying about it.    It's a fair arrangement if you think about it a bit.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure what line of work you are in but that's not how contracts work....So you want to be able to fire him anytime you want if you are not satisfied with his performance yet he has to stay for the period of the contract even if he has a better offer. ...never going to happen.    No agent will let a client sign something like that.  

I worked under contract in my last job and had to give a six month notice before leaving.   Contract keeps a coach from holding up his employer if he has a good year and all of a sudden is in demand and threatens to leave, or just comes in one day and cleans out his desk.  

You might not like it but guess you just have to accept the realities of the world and quit worrying about it.    It's a fair arrangement if you think about it a bit.

I think u misunderstand what I’m saying. I’m 4th generation in business. No buyouts period, if he gets a better offer, talk with your employer and see if they’ll match it or exceed it. I agree with your “one year deal” in theory Bc that makes the most sense. Just don’t think schools or head coaches for that matter would go for it. I just look at situations like Charlie Weis and it’s sickening. Like 24 million plus just from buyouts.

Someone tell me why Dave Doeren isn't on "the list". 

he has beaten Louisville, Syracuse (which beat Clemson), almost beat Clemson last year, beat FSU, Pitt and nearly beat S Carolina and you know he has second tier ACC talent.   3-1 in bowl games.  

Not from  a great coaching tree, but the dude seems to be able to coach great in tough games where he is outmatched.  

Moving through the coaching ranks fast and seems well respected.  

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I think u misunderstand what I’m saying. I’m 4th generation in business. No buyouts period, if he gets a better offer, talk with your employer and see if they’ll match it or exceed it. I agree with your “one year deal” in theory Bc that makes the most sense. Just don’t think schools or head coaches for that matter would go for it. I just look at situations like Charlie Weis and it’s sickening. Like 24 million plus just from buyouts.

Don't talk bad about CW......he's my hero...got checks from three schools for not working......and looks like Chip Kelley might have almost as good a deal.      As for CW.....I blame Kansas and Florida....should have known better than to hire the guy but did it anyway.   You don't find Div 1 coaches on Craig's list or something and even the bad ones are pretty good at the profession and at the top of the pyramid.  When you are among the 200 best at about anything of value, you are probably going to be well paid. 

As long as schools treat coaches as disposable commodities, they are going to have to pay for that privilege. 

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

he has beaten Louisville, Syracuse (which beat Clemson), almost beat Clemson last year, beat FSU, Pitt and nearly beat S Carolina and you know he has second tier ACC talent.   3-1 in bowl games.  

Not from  a great coaching tree, but the dude seems to be able to coach great in tough games where he is outmatched.  

Thoughts?

This has been his come out year. Last year, the state fans were about ready to be done with him. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't talk bad about CW......he's my hero...got checks from three schools for not working......and looks like Chip Kelley might have almost as good a deal.      As for CW.....I blame Kansas and Florida....should have known better than to hire the guy but did it anyway.   You don't find Div 1 coaches on Craig's list or something and even the bad ones are pretty good at the profession and at the top of the pyramid.  When you are among the 200 best at about anything of value, you are probably going to be well paid. 

As long as schools treat coaches as disposable commodities, they are going to have to pay for that privilege. 

I think we agree on some premise at least lol. 

46 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Thoughts?

His year to year records at NC State prior to this year were 3-9, 8-5, 7-6 and 7-6. Sound familiar!? lol

13 hours ago, DAG said:

Bird already killed you on his rebuttal. Should I revive you and kill you again with mine?

nahhh

No, he hasn't come close to killing me yet. That can't happen until someone shows how Kiffin's trajectory is up.  Since Kiffin's trajectory is certifiably down, I won't be dead any time soon. Then there's the little matter of me saying Gus has been holding steady. Look up a few posts at the list. From 2014 on, Gus has been pretty steady.

Now, Bird came up with an interesting meme. Too bad it wasn't factual to the situation.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, he hasn't come close to killing me yet. That can't happen until someone shows how Kiffin's trajectory is up.  Since Kiffin's trajectory is certifiably down, I won't be dead any time soon. Then there's the little matter of me saying Gus has been holding steady. Look up a few posts at the list. From 2014 on, Gus has been pretty steady.

Now, Bird came up with an interesting meme. Too bad it wasn't factual to the situation.

Yah Gus has been steadily mediocre. That is not the goal for Auburn we are way better than that. 

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yah Gus has been steadily mediocre. That is not the goal for Auburn we are way better than that. 

Can you not read? The question was about Gus vs. Kiffin. Kiffin's career has been in a downward spiral for several years. Kiffin's record at FAU this year is worse than Gus's at AU this year. Kiffin's career won/lost record is worse than Gus's. Is he the guy you would hire over Gus when there's an entire world of college football coaches out there?

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Can you not read? The question was about Gus vs. Kiffin. Kiffin's career has been in a downward spiral for several years. Kiffin's record at FAU this year is worse than Gus's at AU this year. Kiffin's career won/lost record is worse than Gus's. Is he the guy you would hire over Gus when there's an entire world of college football coaches out there?

You said Gus has been holding steady. That is what I am responding to. What I said was not wrong.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

His year to year records at NC State prior to this year were 3-9, 8-5, 7-6 and 7-6. Sound familiar!? lol

Yes it does, but I am curious about the story behind the numbers.  No question he the underdog in all those games talent-wise.  And he is winning against poor odds, which is not "familiar" with our situation. :(.  

Always a story behind the numbers.

FWIW Dye was 6-5 the year before we hired him from Wyoming....lots of "stories behind the numbers":

Wyoming typically only won about a third of their games.

Dye won 72% of his games at East Carolina and some conf championships.  

That's what I am wondering about the NC State guy - seems to me he is way over-achieving at NC State.  Maybe not, but seems so.  If he beats Clemson this weekend, half of you will start looking at him pretty hard :)

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am on an island by myself:  B Venables.   I heard he has "skeletons" in his closet.  

This is the guy I would want us to go after also if we were to make a change.

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

This is the guy I would want us to go after also if we were to make a change.

The guy has never been a college head coach. His resume' is 21 years as an assistant. I think in any of life's situations, if you are going to make a major change, be as certain as possible that you are "trading up". It's 100% uncertain what Venables's capacity as a head coach might be.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

You said Gus has been holding steady. That is what I am responding to. What I said was not wrong.

Your statement wasn't wrong, it simply didn't address the Malzahn vs. Kiffin comparison, which was the subject.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Granted, there’s a few more games to go before I’m ready to pull the trigger on Kiffin. But, he is almost certainly (barring a loss to terrible Charlotte) going to win at least six games (reg season) with a team that’s averaged fewer than four wins between 2009 and 2016. Not to mention, he currently has them first in their division. If he beats Marshall tonight, then he should absolutely be on our top priority list.

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Granted, there’s a few more games to go before I’m ready to pull the trigger on Kiffin. But, he is almost certainly (barring a loss to terrible Charlotte) going to win at least six games (reg season) with a team that’s averaged fewer than four wins between 2009 and 2016. Not to mention, he currently has them first in their division. If he beats Marshall tonight, then he should absolutely be on our top priority list.

For starters, Gus took a team that was 3-9 and turned them into 12-2. Kiffin's season at FAU pales in comparison to that.

You think a guy with a 40-24 career record, a guy whose win percent at USC is lower than Gus's win percent at Auburn, is going to be a big step up? If Kiffin couldn't succeed at USC, just where could he succeed? There is not one thing in Kiffin's history that makes him a better choice than any number of other possibilities out there. I'd rather take a shot at someone like Clark, the coach at UAB, than Kiffin. At least Clark has unknown potential. In comparing resume's, Gus has Kiffin beat, so why switch to someone that's worse than what you already have?

10 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am on an island by myself:  B Venables.   I heard he has "skeletons" in his closet.  

Uhhh.  Most successful people have stepped on some toes or grabbed a face mask of a player.  Unless he has the body buried under his driveway....well that may be a good place to bury one.

The best coordinator in America, the best coaching tree of anyone mentioned thus far  and  enough energy to light up Opelika for 45 days?  yeah, I will take him.  Not to mention he recruits lights out!  

Haha -get it?  maybe that was double entendres!  

I would love Vennables. However, if what I was told is correct, AU won't hire him.

Venables has zero HC experience, zero!  Sorry, I'd rather keep the "HC in training" we've had for the past 5 yrs than to start all over training another one, using millions upon million of AU dollars to train on the freaking job.

My God almighty, can't Auburn University do better? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And I'm laughing my ass off at the Lane Kiffin option.  Auburn fans pointed fingers, sneered, laughed, and projected total doom and damnation on UAT the moment Nick Saban hired that powder keg as his OC......And now folks want him as our HC?  :dead:

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Venables has zero HC experience, zero!  Sorry, I'd rather keep the "HC in training" we've had for the past 5 yrs than to start all over training another one, using millions upon million of AU dollars to train on the freaking job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And I'm laughing my ass off at the Lane Kiffin option.  Auburn fans pointed fingers, sneered, laughed, and projected total doom and damnation on UAT the moment Nick Saban hired that powder keg as his OC......And now folks want him as our HC?  :dead:

Jimbo Fisher, Lane Kiffin, Dan Mullen... Would make me stop watching AU football.

47 minutes ago, keesler said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is because Auburn fans can be idiots and NS understands the point of just winning 

53 minutes ago, 1856 said:

Jimbo Fisher, Lane Kiffin, Dan Mullen... Would make me stop watching AU football.

If we got Jimbo Fisher, that would make you stop watching football? That is silly.

Our fans are soo emotional at times, they let that get over logic. I am going to laugh my ass off when Eliah Drinkwitz becomes our HC

1 hour ago, 1856 said:

This is just stupid. All of these guys win. And Mullen does it with about half of Auburn’s resources.

Archived