next Head Coach

Eagle-1

If the PTB is satisfied with mediocrity, well then I guess it’s time to boycott isn’t it?

On a side note, the scoreboard was a STUPID STUPID STUPID investment that should’ve been spent adding glitzy things to our locker room—a waterfall and a barber shop, for instance.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

There's a better chance that they will hire coaches that get the same results that they got with McElwain, Sumlin, Jones and The Whale. It's a crap shoot and the odds are against catching the brass ring. Unless there's a Saban or Meyer that's lurking out there and I don't know who that would be.

Every school has it's own appeal and I'm guessing that for the most part, these SEC schools will be looking at different guys to bail them out.    And yep ....it's a crap shoot and for the most part in the last 5 years or so, SEC schools have not advanced their performance results with the coaches they have hired.  

I guess eventually they will get the brass ring but I'm also guessing that just about everyone but bama would be happy to have been in national championship games twice in the past 7 years. 

Funny too.....in the last ten years...LSU, Auburn, Florida and bama are the only SEC teams to make it to the BCS or playoff games.....and three of the 4 are floundering right now with recent or pending coaching changes.....and most of the league is in worse shape than ever before. 

SEC is a basket case....JMO

18 hours ago, DAG said:

Difference between TT and CGM is I had a sense that no matter what game we went into there was a chance we will win, although he did lose some we had no business losing. TT had us beating the eventually NC Florida Gators, not to mention he had a handle on our rivals , particularly Alabama. You can survive if you are doing that. Also , you need to define mediocre . 

I can define mediocre. Not sure what the other poster thinks it is.

If you are winning over 68% of your games, then that is not mediocre. Dye had a 71% winning percentage, so TT is not that far behind. And, posters say CTT coached when ALabama was down. Well Dye came along when Bryant was retiring, and they had their hiring issues. CTT still had a better record against them than Dye.

Mediocre is not beating your 2 biggest rivals in the last 3 years. If he does the same this year, it will be the first time a recruiting class has NEVER  beaten our 2 biggest rivals.

Even under our best year with Gus (his first), we had a 3 TD lead on Ga going into the 4th qtr at home, and we let GA take the lead with 3 TDs. If not for the prayer in Jordan-Hare, we would have lost a game like we did against LSU this year.

I want a coach that finds a way to beat better or equal teams. I want a coach that controls the game late, when it counts. Gus is not showing us that. Now, let's see how our last SEC games play out, and then revisit your comments about AU keeping Gus.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

If the PTB is satisfied with mediocrity, well then I guess it’s time to boycott isn’t it?

On a side note, the scoreboard was a STUPID STUPID STUPID investment that should’ve been spent adding glitzy things to our locker room—a waterfall and a barber shop, for instance.

I'm still laughing about the tuscaloosa waterfall, lol.

I agree with the not beating our rivals enough and if we lose to a and m, what I am about to say is a mute point .....I cannot wrap my head around firing him when three of  his losses THIS YEAR could be to the number 1,2 and 6 team in the nation (and yeah I have to consider LSU).  To aggregate his past mistakes when he was a HC in training, so to speak,  into the this year conversation is tough. Yes he should have some wins over Georgia in the past(not throwing Bama in there bc hardly anyone has done that). I think maybe I’m gun shy bc of what’s going on at other schools and know from watching those that we could be in a lot worse shape than we are.  I cringe to think we start over and end up with a Butch Jones situation and longing for those horrid 8-4 seasons.  Just thinking out loud. Like I noted, losing to a and m would validate what many here and everywhere think about our coaching.   But I just think if that doesn’t happen, it’s a tougher conversation.

Some people also fail to realize once we won that title in 2010 our program's status elevated. Before, it was a pipedream to be on that stage -- we were just trying to win the West going 5-3 in conference in the Tubs era.

A national title showed we can, and are, one of the big boys. Our expectations should rise with this as we are now a program that has proven it can be recognized on the highest of levels. This "We didn't run Tubs off till a meltdown" was because our goals as a program were not what they are now (also they tried to run him off after an 8 win season when he had top talent...sounds familiar). We weren't bringing in top talent on a national scale. Now we are, because we should be, and so middling around 8-4 is just not going to cut it here anymore. I don't care what anyone says about AU historically, post 2010/2013 we are (possibly were at this point) looked at as serious contenders. That's why the media kept trying to rank us so high to start the seasons because of how we recruited and how we showed how good we can be in '10 and '13.

On 12/12/2016 at 12:10 PM, bigbird said:

'99=5-6

'00=9-4

'01=7-5

'02=9-4

'03=8-5

'04=13-0

'05=9-3

'06=11-2

'07=9-4

'08=5-7

IMO, he was avg to decent. More than anything he was inconsistent and always choked against inferior teams. Always had a good D, but could never put it all together. He was good at developing talent, but sucked at recruiting it.  He coached in a weak SEC west and only put it together 1 time on a team loaded with NFL talent. If he was at AU today, fans would be demanding his head and would've been fired after year 4 or 5.  85-40 is barely what I would consider decent and when looking at who he lost to in would say it drops him down a notch. Tuberville's overall win pct is .618...To compare, Bielema's is ..655. I know nostalgia will tell some otherwise, and I get my opinion won't be popular, but that's what I think.

I posted this after TT stepped down. I still feel the same today.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Those 9+ every other year look good though (understand they include bowls)

1 minute ago, Auhud08 said:

Those 9+ every other year look good though (understand they include bowls)

The 4 losses associated with them don't..

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

BB would be a God if he ever beat a team like UF with urban myer there TWICE or go undefeated . Something CGM has never done as a HC. I’m not disputing the lows, but you are kidding yourself if you are trying to resonate TT with B.B. Also , Tommy coached 10 seasons at AU. Also , you might want to recheck that math . TT had a 68 percent overall record at 10 years in Auburn . Beliema hasn’t even finished his 5th year and not even batting .500

16 hours ago, DAG said:

BB would be a God if he ever beat a team like UF with urban myer there TWICE or go undefeated . Something CGM has never done as a HC. I’m not disputing the lows, but you are kidding yourself if you are trying to resonate TT with B.B. Also , Tommy coached 10 seasons at AU. Also , you might want to recheck that math . TT had a 68 percent overall record at 10 years in Auburn . Beliema hasn’t even finished his 5th year and not even batting .500

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/tommy-tuberville-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/bret-bielema-1.html

Reread. I wasn't speaking of their records at individual schools, but Overall, as was specifically stated in the OP. Tuberville's overall win pct is .618...To compare, Bielema's is ..655. 

TT:  .618

BB:  .636

Since I originally posted that, BB's pct has become even closer.

Big bird come on now . BB walked into a great situation at Wisconsin with Alvarez. That doesn’t even compare to coaching at Cincinnati or Texas Tech. Almost anybody can go into Wisconsin, using the Alvarez blueprint and win. 

6 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I agree with the not beating our rivals enough and if we lose to a and m, what I am about to say is a mute point .....I cannot wrap my head around firing him when three of  his losses THIS YEAR could be to the number 1,2 and 6 team in the nation (and yeah I have to consider LSU).  To aggregate his past mistakes when he was a HC in training, so to speak,  into the this year conversation is tough. Yes he should have some wins over Georgia in the past(not throwing Bama in there bc hardly anyone has done that). I think maybe I’m gun shy bc of what’s going on at other schools and know from watching those that we could be in a lot worse shape than we are.  I cringe to think we start over and end up with a Butch Jones situation and longing for those horrid 8-4 seasons.  Just thinking out loud. Like I noted, losing to a and m would validate what many here and everywhere think about our coaching.   But I just think if that doesn’t happen, it’s a tougher conversation.

Firing Gus has little to do with his record this year as it has to do with the direction of the program. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Big bird come on now . BB walked into a great situation at Wisconsin with Alvarez. That doesn’t even compare to coaching at Cincinnati or Texas Tech. Almost anybody can go into Wisconsin, using the Alvarez blueprint and win. 

If BB is the hang up, how about Kirk Ferentz?  .596 overall record in 19 years. Pretty comparable to TT's .618 in 21 years

Either way, they are average coaches.

10 hours ago, AUwent said:

Not long after that purchase, some of the most recent embarrassing field moments began to roll. Funny how winning or getting to a "nashnal champeenship" can make one throw caution to the wind.  #kinuspelbiyout #pridegoeth

I’m with bird.  Never saw the attraction for TT.    Thought he was an average coach, and if I were an AD, I would never hire someone that couldn’t beat the team he was going to be hired by”See TT at ole miss”.   In my opinion, all The athletic directors since Dye gave it up have made bad hires in football coach’s 

I also agree with you, Bird. I couldn't understand why the PTB at Auburn were so gung-ho about hiring TT. Yeah, he rang up six in a row over bama, but how many times did he win the division? On the flip side how many times did he blow a game he should have won? I don't know the answer to either question but I was not all that upset to see him go.

^^Which is why I think Campbell has a better resume than any of the last four head coaches we’ve had...at least. We have ISU’s prez. I believe that if we truly want him, we got ‘em.

45 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^^Which is why I think Campbell has a better resume than any of the last four head coaches we’ve had...at least. We have ISU’s prez. I believe that if we truly want him, we got ‘em.

The internet claims that Campbell is tied down with a 9.6 million buyout. If that's correct then he'll be where he is for quite a while.

Pipe dream:  I could go for "poaching" someone from the Cowboys front office for AD.  Talk about an organization that micromanages the brand to a gnat's behind...

That facility is nicer than most $100 steak houses and they oooze 'success'.   I suspect they could go a long way in recruiting the kinda coach we need to build the organization we desire.

"B Venables is the next Pat Dye."

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

if I were an AD, I would never hire someone that couldn’t beat the team he was going to be hired by”See TT at ole miss”.  

This is the most stupidest thing I've heard all week. You can stick Saban or Meyer at South Alabam or UAB and they wouldn't beat bigger schools regularly. Would we not hire them from a mid major or smaller P5 school just because they would be beat by better athletes?

10 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I also agree with you, Bird. I couldn't understand why the PTB at Auburn were so gung-ho about hiring TT. Yeah, he rang up six in a row over bama, but how many times did he win the division? On the flip side how many times did he blow a game he should have won? I don't know the answer to either question but I was not all that upset to see him go.

Every time I attend an Auburn vs Arkansas game in Jordan-Hare, I remember Fred Talley.  The 2002 Arkansas game is permanently seared into my memory.  Tuberville's entire time at Auburn can be summarized by two consecutive games in 2006:  Arkansas and Florida.  His #2 team was blown out, at home, by an unranked Arkansas.  The following week, Auburn knocked off the eventual national champion in a game where the offense scored no points.  Such was the nature of Tuberville.

When they were preparing the aircraft for what became JetGate, I would have gladly chipped in for fuel if given the opportunity.

11 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

This is the most stupidest thing I've heard all week. You can stick Saban or Meyer at South Alabam or UAB and they wouldn't beat bigger schools regularly. Would we not hire them from a mid major or smaller P5 school just because they would be beat by better athletes?

You are mistaken my friend.   If saban and Meyer took over uab or South Alabama, they would have them winning in their 2nd to 3rd seasons.    Those type schools don’t play us on a consistent basis and that is why I signaled out TT.   

I was talking about taking a coach from a P-5 conference that couldn’t beat AU.   And obviously you fail to realize that if AU is looking for a coach, they must not be very good anyway

Archived