next Head Coach

Eagle-1

Venables apparently has skeletons and wont be an option. I saw where WDE said as much but unfortunately he didnt hint at what they could be. He couldnt possibly have more skeletons than Kiffin, could he? Should probably keep us from offering Kiffin as well.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

I mean he isn’t really saying that Gus is the best option, just likely a better option than Kiffin as a whole. Sure, there could be upside in terms of scheming, but the off field stuff would get old quick. Then you have to wonder how he would do with the PTB. Would he polarize them and have some on board and some fully against him?

In the end, it’s gonna be interesting to see how it shakes out. I do think we are more than likely gonna get another up and comer rather than a proven guy. The interesting predicament we will get into is if Gus wins out this year. All of the issues we have with him as a play caller/his scheme will still be there. Of course there is always the chance that he leaves on his own if we win out.

If we win out then Gus has earned another year IMO.  Heck, I posted prior to season that Gus has to win at least 9 regular season games with one of those wins being either UGA or Bama for me to want to keep Gus and I will try to stand by that.  Although to be quite honest, if Gus loses to UGA again, I will be so pissed, I will probably want him fired even if he did beat Bama.  

wde

8 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

If we win out then Gus has earned another year IMO.  Heck, I posted prior to season that Gus has to win at least 9 regular season games with one of those wins being either UGA or Bama for me to want to keep Gus and I will try to stand by that.  Although to be quite honest, if Gus loses to UGA again, I will be so pissed, I will probably want him fired even if he did beat Bama.  

wde

If he loses to UGA he may not get a chance to coach against bama.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

I don't believe that Gus will be publicly fired until after the bama game even if we lose to A&M and UGA.  Who would fire him?  

wde

17 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

that ain't gonna happen. Auburn never fires coaches during the season. 

Why would you think they would do that now? 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Tot

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

1. Times are changing.  And there are 2 open jobs already working on hiring.   There will be 3 I imagine soon (UT).  Could be 4 before Thanksgiving (TAMU).  There is a reason the runt of the litter is the smallest.

2.  Different univ president.  Just because we did it one way in 2012, doesn't mean that is the gameplan in 2017.  

Having said that, I now believe Gus will be back next year.  

18 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Tot

He resigned. They were going to fire him at the end of the year. He caught wind of it, and decided he didnt want to wait.

They would never have fired him during the season. That is just not Auburn's way, unless a coach did something that broke a law or important policy.

1 hour ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

I mean he isn’t really saying that Gus is the best option, just likely a better option than Kiffin as a whole. Sure, there could be upside in terms of scheming, but the off field stuff would get old quick. Then you have to wonder how he would do with the PTB. Would he polarize them and have some on board and some fully against him?

In the end, it’s gonna be interesting to see how it shakes out. I do think we are more than likely gonna get another up and comer rather than a proven guy. The interesting predicament we will get into is if Gus wins out this year. All of the issues we have with him as a play caller/his scheme will still be there. Of course there is always the chance that he leaves on his own if we win out.

I don’t care about all that other crap . As long as we win without the NCAA accusing us of stuff.

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

He has been previously for sure. Who really knows what he has learned. That said, I could see him being a lot like a young Spurrier. 

I agree. He has FAU first in its division after they went 3-9 for three straight years and reached the 6 win mark ONCE since 2009. Should make a bowl at very worst.

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I agree. He has FAU first in its division after they went 3-9 for three straight years and reached the 6 win mark ONCE since 2009. Should make a bowl at very worst.

And I think he has a lot of transfers that came in like J Franklin.   He still gets the credit, but those aren't just the same players that have gone 3-9 for 3 years.  They have an influx of talent and Kiffen attracted the talent.   

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

And I think he has a lot of transfers that came in like J Franklin.   He still gets the credit, but those aren't just the same players that have gone 3-9 for 3 years.  They have an influx of talent and Kiffen attracted the talent.   

That is what a coach suppose to do. 

^Exactly. It’s not like the previous coaches left a program of untapped riches like in so many turnaround stories (granted, it’s still a good idea to wait before calling this a “turnaround” story). The guy is a great offensive recruiter, which is EXACTLY what we would need being sandwiched between defensive-minded Sidious and Vader.

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^Exactly. It’s not like the previous coaches left a program of untapped riches like in so many turnaround stories (granted, it’s still a good idea to wait before calling this a “turnaround” story). The guy is a great offensive recruiter, which is EXACTLY what we would need being sandwiched between defensive-minded Sidious and Vader.

I mean this is all a pipe dream but it would be cool if he could bring Kendal along as well. JS sure would love that.

12 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

So you wouldn't want to take James Franklin while he was at UK, a p5 school that wouldn't beat Auburn consistently? 

It doesn't matter if those schools play you consistently or not, the fact is a win by UAB, USA would be unheard of and a very rare occasion. Winning at the level you are at and winning when fighting above your weight class are different things. If your only coaching candidates are people who can and do beat your team, why would they leave the winner to come to you? 

Again, most stupidest statement in this thread. 

Well it might have been the stupidest until you said Franklin at UK!   Try vandy, and they did beat us

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Well it might have been the stupidest until you said Franklin at UK!   Try vandy, and they did beat us

Yea, wrong school, I stand corrected. However, you have one of the best vandy teams in decades beating the worse auburn team in decades. One off wins are not what we are talking about when dealing with "can't beat the school"

On 11/1/2017 at 1:32 PM, bigbird said:

Strong failed miserably to build relationships with the Texas HS coaches and failed to communicate with them even worse.  That was his biggest problem. He eventually had to hire Jeff Traylor from Gilmer to kind of be a go between between his staff and the HS coaches. I've worked with Traylor a little and he said he didn't like the position Strong put him in, but when UT comes calling you don't turn them down.

That, Sir, is super-helpful.

20 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

In his time at UL they played in arguably the worst conference in recent memory (Big East). Even in that weak conference, his team still managed to lose to Syracuse and UConn in 2012, and UCF in 2013 (first year in the American conference). At USF, first team they play this year with a winning record and they lose, not to mention almost blowing a 27 point second half lead against tulane. As some said before “He would get eaten alive in the SEC”

This is on your, Strong took them to heights they had never achieved point:

Petrino had two 9 win seasons, 11, and 12 ( lost to # 3 Miami and #14 Rutgers, regular season, by a combined 6 points in the 10+ win seasons)

41-9 in 4 seasons, 2-2 bowl record  AP rank highs of 3,6 and 9. 4-2 vs Top 15 teams in the 2 seasons he won 10+

Strong had two 7 win seasons, 11, and 12.

37-15 in 4 seasons,  3-1 bowl record, AP rank highs of 7 and 11. 1-0 vs top 15 teams in the two seasons he won 10+. Florida was the only ranked team, at the time of the game, throughout those entire two seasons

Bird's reply was helpful. This. was. not. You get Louisville to 12 wins, improving every season (from 2 conference wins year 1 to 5 in year two), you can coach.

I'm lost. How does Kiffin have an upward trajectory, and what suggests he's changed any?

He's only been head coach for more than one full season once. Here's the trajectory: 8, 10, 7, 3-2 (partial).

At Bama he was a genius -- and clearly a distraction.

So I would say there is ZERO evidence that he's matured enough to coach at Auburn.

I'm among those who believe you have to be humble and creative in hiring coaches. Find someone who's doing extremely well but at a lower level, or find a superb coordinator who has HC qualities. You're taking a risk, but a measured one. But do not hire somebody who has failed in multiple stops. Like Kiffin.

1 hour ago, DyeCampAlum said:

Bird's reply was helpful. This. was. not. You get Louisville to 12 wins, improving every season (from 2 conference wins year 1 to 5 in year two), you can coach.

You said that Strong took UL to levels they had never achieved “equaled but not bettered” which I don’t believe to be true. Secondly, many believe Strong is suited well to thrive at smaller schools  such as a USF/UL (at that time due to conference) but would get eaten alive at bigger schools in the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 etc. Also plenty of good coaches at smaller schools that weren’t very good at major D1 programs, that doesn’t say they aren’t good coaches, that just means they are good in their own right, just not at the major D1 level

If Strong or Kiffin are the possibilities then no thanks.  Strong couldn’t handle Texas and all it’s built in benefits and as for me if Kiffin is coaching I might not even watch AU football.  He’s a slime ball and not how I’d want my school represented.  Same with Petrino.  

There are plenty of good coaches out there if we are changing coaches.  However I just don’t think at this point we are.   I still think we beat 1 of the 2 of bama/UGA.  

I can’t believe Kiffin name is being mentioned. Too much of a risk. NC St coach is interesting, Babers at Syracuse..obviously Chip Kelly. Everybody wants a Meyer or Saban...and the next Dabo. If it was that easy to find them we would not be having this discussion. Gus could be the next Papa Bowden (if he can evolve) or he could be what some say...8-4 guy....hell who knows..i sure don’t 

3 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Yea, wrong school, I stand corrected. However, you have one of the best vandy teams in decades beating the worse auburn team in decades. One off wins are not what we are talking about when dealing with "can't beat the school"

Change it to however you want to rationalize it.    You are changing the original post to fit your opinion.   The original post was that we hired someone from a comparable school that couldn’t beat us.    A team we played every year.    That’s what I was trying to get across and maybe I didn’t say it in the right way 

Fuente or we riot!

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

I can’t believe Kiffin name is being mentioned. Too much of a risk. NC St coach is interesting, Babers at Syracuse..obviously Chip Kelly. Everybody wants a Meyer or Saban...and the next Dabo. If it was that easy to find them we would not be having this discussion. Gus could be the next Papa Bowden (if he can evolve) or he could be what some say...8-4 guy....hell who knows..i sure don’t 

Chip kelly is not coming to freaking Auburn. He might not even want to return to college football. Let’s be realistic. Not only that . Doesn’t chip kelly have to go through a monitoring process with the NCAA for failure to monitor at his last program he ran away from? Talk about a risk.

Archived