next Head Coach

Eagle-1

32 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Kiffin's combined record at USC, Tenn and Fl. Atlantic is 40-24. Plus his baggage. If you like Lame Kiffin as AU's head coach you should love keeping Gus for another five years.

Mikey knows folks. Listen to him. He knows all. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, aubaseball said:

You are mistaken my friend.   If saban and Meyer took over uab or South Alabama, they would have them winning in their 2nd to 3rd seasons.    Those type schools don’t play us on a consistent basis and that is why I signaled out TT.   

I was talking about taking a coach from a P-5 conference that couldn’t beat AU.   And obviously you fail to realize that if AU is looking for a coach, they must not be very good anyway

So you wouldn't want to take James Franklin while he was at UK, a p5 school that wouldn't beat Auburn consistently? 

It doesn't matter if those schools play you consistently or not, the fact is a win by UAB, USA would be unheard of and a very rare occasion. Winning at the level you are at and winning when fighting above your weight class are different things. If your only coaching candidates are people who can and do beat your team, why would they leave the winner to come to you? 

Again, most stupidest statement in this thread. 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Kiffin's combined record at USC, Tenn and Fl. Atlantic is 40-24. Plus his baggage. If you like Lame Kiffin as AU's head coach you should love keeping Gus for another five years.

Can you not see the difference in trajectories?

Kiffin

50gXED.gif

Gus

spies-like-us-radical-vertical-impact-si

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

I wouldn't be opposed to Kiffin. I understand I am most likely in the extreme minority on that, but nonetheless he is one of the best schemers and playcallers I've seen. 

I totally agree about scheming and play calling.  But I just don't think he has proven to be suited to be a HC both on and off of the field.  I think he has a ton of potential, but I think he is too risky right now as a HC candidate.  Of course, if his wild ass actually learned something about being a disciplined HC under Saban, he could be a high risk, but very high reward candidate.

wde

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Kiffin

50gXED.gif

Gus

I wish I could give that extra likes, for the usage of Spies Like Us.

Mullen. We need to go get him before someone else does this year. I have a feeling it might be his last year in Starkvegas. They have already pretty much said no to florida because his wife hated it. AU seems like a perfect fit but his name is mentioned for every opening. Its just a matter of time before one sounds attractive enough to leave.

37 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I wish I could give that extra likes, for the usage of Spies Like Us.

One of my favorites

1 minute ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Mullen. We need to go get him before someone else does this year. I have a feeling it might be his last year in Starkvegas. They have already pretty much said no to florida because his wife hated it. AU seems like a perfect fit but his name is mentioned for every opening. Its just a matter of time before one sounds attractive enough to leave.

Not a fan of Mullen.  I still would go for Frost and Fuente.  I am pretty sure Frost will be coaching somewhere other than UCF next year.  Fuente may be hard to get.

wde

Difference in trajectories? Why yes, I do see a difference. After failing as head Coach at power 5schools, Kiffin is now 5-3 at lightweight FAU. Kiffin is sinking. Gus is 6-2 at big-time Auburn.  So, @bigbird, you are correct about trajectories. Gus seems to be holding level while Kiffin is slowly sinking beneath the waves of the Atlantic ocean. Then there's Kiffin's Petrino-like off-job behavior, another reason to stick with Gus were Kiffin the only option.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Kiffin

50gXED.gif

Gus

Wondering about Kiffen's trajectory...He's up and then he's down and back up.....but each "up" change seems to take him to a lower position on the coaching tree.  If I'm plotting his career trajectory I'm seeing his long term destination as some 5A HS.   

Otherwise, considering that these days a football HC seems to be the most public representative of a university Kiffen is ideal for a school with no interest in it's public perception...just desperate to win football games.    I'm hoping that is not Auburn.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

One of my favorites

You know, I must really like you, because I don't like horses and I hate guns.

13 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Tuberville is by far better than Kirk Ferentz. Tuberville coached in a tougher league in the SEC. The Big 10 didn't used to have a conference championship game. It's not really an apples to apples comparison when Tuberville had to win the SEC West just to have a chance to win the SEC title. Kirk Ferentz in 2002 won a share of the Big 10 title but didn't have to play Ohio State who won the BCS NC that year.

Tubs also inherited a probation laden Ole Miss team and managed to pull off some winning seasons. Who else in the last 40 years besides Hugh Freeze has done anything at Ole Miss without Eli Manning as QB? And Tuberville had to coach there while under severe  sanctions. The 1995 Ole Miss team is the last team to have their games banned from television. 

I think you're overlooking that the SEC West was actually pretty decent in the early 2000's. Nick Saban won the NC in 2003. Ole Miss had Eli Manning and were a threat. Arkansas had back to back 9 wins seasons in 2002 and 2003. They were no slouch. Yes, Alabama was down but I don't remember the other SEC teams beating Alabama 6 years in a row at the same time Tuberville was doing it at Auburn. I remember Urban Meyer's 1st year at Florida in 2005 when they got thumped 31-3 against Alabama under Mike Shula.

I'm not saying Tuberville was a great coach but he was still pretty good. My only disappointment under Tuberville would be the 2005, 2006, and 2007 seasons. At least 1 of those seasons should have produced  1 SEC title  considering how good those teams were. And in each of those 3 seasons we were always one game short of winning the West. 

Tuberville's best coaching jobs were at Ole Miss and Auburn. His Texas Tech and Cincinnati records were Tuberville just coaching to earn a paycheck and stay in coaching until he didn't want to coach anymore. Tuberville took those jobs because he knew he wasn't going to get another big time coaching gig again. He was just coasting until he retired. You could tell he didn't look very happy at either Texas Tech or Cincinnati 

Tuberville lost some of his fire when he left Auburn. Do you disagree with that?

No, You are spot on. That is what I have been posting here for those that say CTT was avg. As I told them I didnt care what he did at other places, only how he competed in the SEC.

I think he would have gotten that NC in 04, with Campbell, Brown, and Carnell. He always had good to very good Defenses, his forte. 

His weakness was as you said those years he tied for 1st, but didnt go to SEC championship was because he let a game he was favored in get away. And he at the end had trouble recruiting an top calibre SEC QB, and when he changed the offense totally, he had the right idea, but he was so protective of his staff, bringing in ONLY the OC with totally different offense sealed his fate.

But even though there are those who simply didn't like him, I can't help but smile how he could get under the Bama fans with his digs and his image of his 6 fingers thrust into the air. lol.

30 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Difference in trajectories? Why yes, I do see a difference. After failing as head Coach at power 5schools, Kiffin is now 5-3 at lightweight FAU. Kiffin is sinking. Gus is 6-2 at big-time Auburn.  So, @bigbird, you are correct about trajectories. Gus seems to be holding level while Kiffin is slowly sinking beneath the waves of the Atlantic ocean. Then there's Kiffin's Petrino-like off-job behavior, another reason to stick with Gus were Kiffin the only option.

Holding level...averaging ~ 5 losses a year since 2014.   

2013: 12-2

2014: 8-5

2015: 7-6

2016: 8-5

2017: 6-2...

You just keep waving that Gus banner. 

24 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

You know, I must really like you, because I don't like horses and I hate guns.

-Maybe your dork isn't so dumb after all.

-Got me through high school.

WDE!

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What's funny is we can potentially have the exact same record this year with a better team and weaker conference. Lol

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

What's gunny is we can potentially have the exact same record this year with a better team and weaker conference. Lol

That means were holding level, right?

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's because our players keep failing to execute his game plan.

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

I wouldn't be opposed to Kiffin. I understand I am most likely in the extreme minority on that, but nonetheless he is one of the best schemers and playcallers I've seen. 

Also consider he was fired during the season from two of his previous three HC jobs, and would have likely have been fired from the third had he stuck around for longer than one season.

WDE!

Kiffin does have some inside knowledge of Saban’s “process”.  I would be willing to bet he could come up with some great schemes to neutralize Bama in some Iron Bowls.  May not be worth the trouble, but interesting non the less. 

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Bird already killed you on his rebuttal. Should I revive you and kill you again with mine?

nahhh

11 hours ago, Beaker said:

Can Kiffin recruit?  Honest question.   You can't use bama as an example because they are turning away great talent over there. How did he do at  UT?  USC?  FAU?  IDK - just asking.

Is he respected enough in the community to keep or attract top coaches?  That's one I really question.  

I will stick with B Venables and his coaching tree.  The man is a 90% lock to be a great HC.  Kiffin has flamed out twice.

90 percent lock to be a great HC? Where did you come up with a percentage like that and how come he hasn’t been offered yet? Keep hearing about him, yet no one seems to want to offer him anything 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

90 percent lock to be a great HC? Where did you come up with a percentage like that and how come he hasn’t been offered yet? Keep hearing about him, yet no one seems to want to offer him anything 

According to bigbird via WDE, Venables has "skeletons in the closet" and will not likely be considered.

wde

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Bird already killed you on his rebuttal. Should I revive you and kill you again with mine?

nahhh

I mean he isn’t really saying that Gus is the best option, just likely a better option than Kiffin as a whole. Sure, there could be upside in terms of scheming, but the off field stuff would get old quick. Then you have to wonder how he would do with the PTB. Would he polarize them and have some on board and some fully against him?

In the end, it’s gonna be interesting to see how it shakes out. I do think we are more than likely gonna get another up and comer rather than a proven guy. The interesting predicament we will get into is if Gus wins out this year. All of the issues we have with him as a play caller/his scheme will still be there. Of course there is always the chance that he leaves on his own if we win out.

53 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

-Maybe your dork isn't so dumb after all.

-Got me through high school.

WDE!

What's a dickfer?

Archived