First charges filed in Mueller investigation (merged)

AUDub

Hmm

A federal grand jury in Washington, DC, on Friday approved the first charges in the investigation led by special counsel Robert Mueller, according to sources briefed on the matter.

The charges are still sealed under orders from a federal judge. Plans were prepared Friday for anyone charged to be taken into custody as soon as Monday, the sources said. It is unclear what the charges are.

A spokesman for the special counsel's office declined to comment.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Mueller is about to make his first charges with speculation being Flynn and Manafort. Flynn is a no brainer but did he just violate security or do anything involving collusion which is Mueller's charge.  Charges involving Manafort would be more interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/28/mueller-russia-probe-reportedly-nets-first-charges.html

One day maybe people will realize both parties have been in cahoots with Russia for a while now. 

Hope it takes down all kinds of corruption from both sides of the aisle. 

It's Manafort and Rick Gates:

Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and his associate Rick Gates have been indicted by a federal grand jury Monday on 12 counts, according to the special counsel’s office.

The special counsel’s office told Fox News that the counts include conspiracy against the United States, conspiracy to launder money, unregistered agent of a foreign principal, false and misleading FARA statements, false statements and seven counts of failure to file reports of foreign banks and financial accounts.

The case was unsealed Monday, after Manafort and Gates were permitted to surrender themselves to the custody of the FBI, the special counsel’s office told Fox News.

Manafort and Gates face the first charges in the special counsel’s investigation. This is also the first time the special counsel's office has confirmed that a grand jury has been impaneled.

First reported by The New York Times, Manafort and Gates are expected in federal court on Monday. Gates is a longtime associate of manafort. According to The Times, his name appeared on documents linked to companies that Manafort’s firm created in Cyprus to receive payments from politicians and businesspeople in Eastern Europe.

White House lawyer Ty Cobb told Fox News he had no comment on the report at this time...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/30/paul-manafort-rick-gates-indicted-by-federal-grand-jury-in-russia-probe.html

The 31 page file can be obtained here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/924987046334214147/photo/1

There is a lot to it.  Most of it relates to Manafort/Gates as agents of the Party of Regions in the Ukraine.  There was also a lot of money being laundered through real estate, offshore accounts and loan schemes.

They lied about meetings related to their activities as foreign agents in 2016 and 2017.

More people will fall for this.  I don't know if it will touch Trump, but considering Manafort's campaign role, the Roger Stone connections between Trump and Manafort, Trump's Russian business connections, various campaign functionaries repeated dishonesty about meetings with foreign operatives, the Moyers timeline (http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/) indicating Trump as a potential vehicle for real estate money laundering, etc.  I wouldn't be surprised.

Manafort/Gates are screwed.  We'll see about the rest.

• TitanTiger changed the title to First charges filed in Mueller investigation (merged)

This was also part of today's revelations.  

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/357792-former-trump-campaign-adviser-pleads-guilty-to-lying-to-fbi

Papadopoulos lied to FBI about involvement in procuring oppo from Russia.

More heads will probably role, possibly on both sides the aisle.  A lot of political operatives have been caught lying.

I'll give Trump credit, his "hiring the best people" approach may result in a true swamp draining.

35 minutes ago, HVAU said:

Beat me to it Bigben.

Read the filing yet? This may be the big bombshell today. 

If you mean the 31 page file, yes, most of it.

There's still wiggle room for Trump folks to rationalize how this isn't a big deal.  I keep thinking about the timeline by Moyers that illustrates Trump's real estate criminality, his connections to Stone, Manafort, et al, the meetings and the lies.  The rationality presented by the right is flimsy, but there's a very minimal amount of plausibility.

I have not read the Papadopoulos filing yet.  I'm spending my morning watching a debate between the supply side cult leader, Laffer, and a panel of real economists.

The Papadopoulos filing. It's huge. Surprised it never leaked. Almost like Mueller baited the rubes with the Manafort stuff only to drop this. 

Just scanned through it.  This looks very bad for those involved in Trump's campaign.  The National Security meeting with Trump bookended by discussions with the Russian operatives is particularly alarming.

Again, there is wiggle room for rationalization, but only if the right's position is "everyone was being manipulated by the Russians".  That stance though would require acquiescence to foreign manipulation of our democratic process, and willful self-delusion concerning Trump's previous Russia connections.

I would not be surprised to see some Trump people conveniently taking overseas vacations in the next few weeks.

May as well go ahead and try Trump and Hillary. Both deserve jail time.........

We are looking more and more like South Korea every day. I was stationed there when they impeached their president and threw him into jail in 1993. They've had several other incidents since then.

It's time for some new blood. The old guard is despicable.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/thoughts-on-the-papadopolous-plea

We can’t know these things for sure. But it certainly seems like Mueller was sending a message and sending a shock to the Trump White House by releasing the Papadopolous charges mid-morning. The Manafort/Gates charges are very serious as crimes and bring heavy punishments. They’re a big deal. But they do not connect directly to the campaign’s ties with Russia or even the campaign itself. The White House can accurately say that these are crimes that do not relate to them, as they have. (Set aside for the moment that they are serious crimes undertaken by the campaign chairman while the campaign was underway and that they provide Mueller with immense leverage to extract more information from Manafort.)

The Papadopolous plea is quite different.

It shows a Trump foreign policy advisor in active communication with what appear to be Russian government officials or spies trying to get dirt on Hillary Clinton, arrange meetings with Russian government officials (even Vladimir Putin, rather ludicrously) and solicit Russian support. That an active foreign policy advisor was taking these actions while in active communication with the campaign about those actions is quite damning. An unnamed campaign official sent back word that a meeting with Trump himself was not happening.

Papadopolous was arrested in July and has apparently been cooperating since. I see no purely legal reason why the news of his arrest in July and guilty plea in early October had to be revealed today, other than keeping the news from Manafort. One other potential reason is that one of the ‘campaign officials’ referenced in the Papadopolous plea appears to be Manafort. It sends two clear messages. First, we’re not at all done with collusion and we’re making progress. Second, we arrested Papadopolous in July and he pled out in October and no one knew. So don’t think you have any idea what we have.

This may be projecting too much. But in revealing the Manafort news early, giving time for the White House to respond as you’d expect (nothing to do with us or Russia or the campaign) and then following up by revealing this Papadopolous indictment certainly has the feel of sucker punching the White House.

8 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

May as well go ahead and try Trump and Hillary. Both deserve jail time.........

We are looking more and more like South Korea every day. I was stationed there when they impeached their president and threw him into jail in 1993. They've had several other incidents since then.

It's time for some new blood. The old guard is despicable.

Please.?

The fact that they were allowed to surrender lead me to believe the bail would be a relatively small number, maybe even released on their own recognizance. I was wrong. $10M Bail for Manafort. $5M for Gates plus house arrest and ankle monitors.

Archived