Scrimmage report

vatz22au

Here

Those are pretty good stats for both qbs given the fact the wind was blowing like crazy down here.

Looks like both sides of the ball looked well, which is good to hear! :au:

I really like the decision that the coaches made to let the defense loose on the qb's right off the bat. I don't see how it can do anything but help them in the long run and our defense is as fast as ANYONES.

For more on the defensive point of view:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...09668153480.xml

AUBURN - Stanley McClover and Quentin Groves have teamed up to send a message to quarterbacks looking to make their mark.

Throw fast and beware.

Auburn paired Groves with McClover as starting defensive ends for the first time in a scrimmage Saturday, and the two proceeded to drive the quarterbacks crazy. They each recorded three sacks as the defense continued to hunt down quarterbacks to the tune of 17 sacks in two scrimmages.

Starting quarterback Brandon Cox was sacked seven times Saturday, but had his best scrimmage passing.

McClover led Auburn in sacks last season. Groves was his backup. But Auburn defensive ends coach Terry Price started both of them Saturday by moving Groves to strong-side defensive end.

"That works out pretty well to get both of us on the field at the same time," McClover said. "Coach Price is just moving some people right now trying to see what his best combination is."

McClover and Groves wreaked havoc on the quarterbacks, but Cox and Co. still produced better stats than their first scrimmage. Cox was 8-for-12 passing for 98 yards, two interceptions and a touchdown. Backup Calvin Booker was 7-of-12 for 83 yards and Blake Field was 2-for-6 before suffering an injury to his non-throwing shoulder while making a tackle on an interception.

Under these conditions, it makes 8-for-12 and 7-for-12 look very good. I worry about the interceptions, though.

But some bad news:

... the defense continued to lose players. Auburn, which was already playing without its three starting linebackers, lost its top two noseguards to knee injuries.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said he didn't think the injuries to Tommy Jackson and Josh Thompson were serious, but the two would likely miss the rest of spring practice. Auburn lost starting linebackers Travis Williams and Kevin Sears to injuries in the previous scrimmage. Another starting linebacker, Antarrious Williams, hasn't practiced this spring because of offseason elbow surgery.

Sounds like all these people will be healthy by fall--just hope the lack of spring practice, particularly with a new DC, doesn't come back to bite us.

Well considering the wind yesterday was gusting well over 20 and probably 30 mph... Interceptions are my least concern. They were both in the endzone though.. so yeah, that is not good. The first scrimmage, Cox didn't have any INTs, and one of the other QBs had 2, and this time it switched around.

This is only spring practice, so please don't worry about intereceptions right now, especially on a day like yesterday.

Well considering the wind yesterday was gusting well over 20 and probably 30 mph... Interceptions are my least concern. They were both in the endzone though.. so yeah, that is not good. The first scrimmage, Cox didn't have any INTs, and one of the other QBs had 2, and this time it switched around.

This is only spring practice, so please don't worry about intereceptions right now, especially on a day like yesterday.

150669[/snapback]

I'd rather have an INT in the endzone than at your own 10 yard line or something. Plus, when you're near the endzone there's less field to work with, and less space to get open. INTs in the endzone are a lot more understandable, especially when it's only spring anyway. If you remember, there were quite a few times where Jason threw a pick in the endzone last year, at least 3 that I recall.

150669[/snapback]

I'd rather have an INT in the endzone than at your own 10 yard line or something. Plus, when you're near the endzone there's less field to work with, and less space to get open. INTs in the endzone are a lot more understandable, especially when it's only spring anyway. If you remember, there were quite a few times where Jason threw a pick in the endzone last year, at least 3 that I recall.

150672[/snapback]

Depends on the reason for the interceptions. It they were the result of bad decision-making, that's something that needs to be addressed.

Depends on the reason for the interceptions. It they were the result of bad decision-making, that's something that needs to be addressed.

Cox is going through the learning process. Few QB's have the arm strength to negate 18-20mph winds and Cox is no exception. He will not be able to force throws and get away with it as he did in HS. Don't worry, Borges will get him squared away.

Archived