Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

51 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

My daughter teaches at the college level. She does an outstanding job and her students love her. I am insulted by your comment.  Teaching science and facts does not do a disservice to anyone. It is their job to instruct students on what is factual and proven to be true. Knowledge is not the enemy.

I didn’t say all, nor did I mention your sister by name. There can be both good teachers and bad. Some have an agenda, and I in no way meant to offend you by stating a well known truth.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t disagree with you on some points. I have met some very kind and wonderdul people who aren’t religious one bit and have met some serious nasty people who attend church every Sunday. That being said, my comment was in regards to someone saying Christianity should be a private matter. That unfortunately is totally impossible. The two is like oil and water. We are called to be lights of the world , not just in the privacy of our own home or church building. Unfortunately that does rub people the wrong way especially when those called to be lights of the world are actually in the dark as seen by their actions.

That's what YOU believe. And because you believe it you step on the rights of others who do not want to be involved in your particular brand of religion. Christianity , especially as it is being interpreted right now in America is not the only light of the world. Critical thinking skills could tell you that but Christianity is not welcoming to anything but pure faith and obedience. I have no issue with what you want to believe in your own life. But pushing it on to those who do not want to participate is not your job.

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

I didn’t say all, nor did I mention your sister by name. There can be both good teachers and bad. Some have an agenda, and I in no way meant to offend you by stating a well known truth.

It's my daughter. She is a gifted college instructor and she works hard to convey her subject matter to her students.  The agenda of colleges and universities is to teach facts and in this day and age....remedial critical thinking skills. In doing that....faith-based beliefs will not triumph over science based facts in an academic setting. 

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I am not comfortable with it at all. I dislike it because it is exclusionary whether it is intended or not. I know how all that works and saying that it isn't and living in the real world is a different thing. The lean for Christianity is there.  Auburn is a publicly funded University and this is stepping over the line. There are church buildings available for that kind of ceremony. Showcasing it as a part of the program is a big mistake. 

The kindest, most compassionate and intelligent people I know are not religious and do not really believe in God. These young men do not have to participate in religion to be good and moral people. It's fine if they choose to do so.....but I would bet there's a subtle pressure involved. That's how organized religion works. It becomes a clique with constant recruiting efforts for new believers. 

Wit all due respect, you have a few good comments but I take real issue with some particularly your last two sentences. .

5 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Very well said. I believe that intelligent design and certain “levels” of evolution can coexist and very well be a part of His design. The theory of evolution that has us believe that we evolved from pond scum through millions of statistically impossible occurrences to me takes greater faith than believing in a Divine Creator.

No, the theory of evolution has never said we evolved from pond scum.  Evolution is a fact.  There is a lot of faith on both sides of the argument when it comes to existence of the current man.

wde

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Wit all due respect, you have a few good comments but I take real issue with some.

I totally agree with her regarding organized religion.  I am a Christian and I have a huge problem with organized religion.  FWIW, I have no problem with our players getting baptized in the athletic complex, the creek in their backyard or even midfield at JHS if that is where they want to be baptized and are not being forced to.  

wde

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

Wit all due respect, you have a few good comments but I take real issue with some.

You highlighted that.....so I will answer. You are not being honest with yourself if you do not admit that there is pressure to conform to Protestant Christianity in this country, Islam in the Middle East.....etc. 

6 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

It's my daughter. The agenda of colleges and universities is to teach facts and in this day and age....remedial critical thinking skills. In doing that....faith will not triumph over science based facts. 

Terribly wrong but you are entitled to your opinion. I have a MS in Aerospace Engineering and worked for NASA for 36 years. Science has only strengthened my faith.

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

You highlighted that.....so I will answer. You are not being honest with yourself if you do not admit that there is pressure to conform to Protestant Christianity in this country, Islam in the Middle East.....etc. 

And there is no pressure to follow the “religion “ of atheism?

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

No, the theory of evolution has never said we evolved from pond scum.  Evolution is a fact.  There is a lot of faith on both sides of the argument when it comes to existence of the current man.

wde

Evolution from what to what is a fact.

Evoloution from what to what is a fact.

Spell evolution correctly.  Different species of animals have evolved through time to adapt to their environment and their adversities.  Again, evolution says nothing about the creation of man.

wde

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is also a problem.  There is tons of pressure the follow the religion of atheism and atheism is now unfortunately, much more accepted than Christianity in the MSM.

wde

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I can honestly say I have never felt pressure in this country to conform to Protestant Christianity. I can't speak for other countries/religions. You display confusion since there is no such thing as "Protestant" Christianity.  Do you not consider Catholics aas Christians? A Christian is some one who professes Jesus as his/her Savior. No denomination has a lock on it.

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Spell evolution correctly.  Different species of animals have evolved through time to adapt to their environment and their adversities.  Again, evolution says nothing about the creation of man.

wde

I agree. Just trying to clarify what you were saying., And I did correct my typo before I saw your post;D

I can honestly say I have never felt pressure in this country to conform to Protestant Christianity. I can't speak for other countries/religions. You display confusion since there is no such thing as "Protestant" Christianity.  Do you not consider Catholics aas Christians? A Christian is some one who professes Jesus as his/her Savior. No denomination has a lock on it.

But the problem with organized religion is that each denomination wants to claim they have a lock on it.  Otherwise, there would be no denominations.

wde

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

It's not a religion. It's the absence of a belief in religion. I have never seen buildings erected on every corner and major holidays dedicated to the "practice" of atheism so no....no pressure. If you are referring to objections raised by atheists as being pressure from them then you are misguided. They merely want to not be forced to follow any religion, and that is guaranteed by the Constitution. I happen to agree with that. What I believe is my choice but may not be yours. Personally I do not care what you want to choose as your religious beliefs. You should offer that freedom to everyone else. 

5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Very true.

Scientific theory is not the same as faith.

It's not a religion. It's the absence of a belief in religion. I have never seen buildings erected on every corner and major holidays dedicated to the "practice" of atheism so no....no pressure. If you are referring to objections raised by atheists as being pressure from them then you are misguided. They merely want to not be forced to follow any religion, and that is guaranteed by the Constitution. I happen to agree with that. What I believe is my choice but may not be yours. Personally I do not care what you want to choose as your religious beliefs. You should offer that freedom to everyone else. 

There is no evidence in this case of baptisms that anyone was forced to be baptized against their wishes.  Unless you believe the ramblings of the OP about the seedy underside of AU regarding Christianity.

wde

12 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Catholics are not Protestants....so yes there is a difference which is why the word Protestant exists. Catholics are of course Christian. Not sure where you got that thought.

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

There is no evidence in this case of baptisms that anyone was forced to be baptized against their wishes.  Unless you believe the ramblings of the OP about the seedy underside of AU regarding Christianity.

wde

Social pressure is not the same as force. And I did not say that it was a forgone conclusion. I said that it often is whether it is deliberate or not. As the poster here said...converting others to Christianity is part of their practices. 

I am not against athletes being religious. I just don't think baptisms should take place in a PUBLIC university facility. They should be done elsewhere. It's not that complicated. 

23 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

It may not state it as such, but is it not implied? For a species to exist, it has to have evolved/mutated  from another species? Perhaps I should have said the evolutionary history of life tries to have us believe we came from pond scum?

14 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

This is also a problem.  There is tons of pressure the follow the religion of atheism and atheism is now unfortunately, much more accepted than Christianity in the MSM.

wde

That is so untrue I can't even begin to address it. It's almost comical. Atheism is not a religion btw. 

That is so untrue I can't even begin to address it. It's almost comical. Atheism is not a religion btw. 

One of the definitions of religion is: 

a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith 

5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Atheism has become a religion no doubt.

wde

Archived