Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

16 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Exactly! Your story is just like mine (except you state it much more eloquently. So many people have exactly the same experience. When the Creator of the universe revealed Himself to me I only had two choices, 1. Believe Him. or 2. Tell Him that He was wrong. The choice seemed pretty obvious!

To clarify it's not my personal story but the author's, Marilyn Adamson. Your story and hers both are great testimonials to the fact that it's never too late to accept and believe. God is steady, it is us that determine the distance between Him and us. 

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Are you this skeptical against the theories regarding how something came out of nothing allegedly billions of years ago? Serious question. I believe there was creation with evolution as part of the master plan. I don’t understand why people have to act like the two concepts have to butt heads.  

I can understand why you’re skeptical about the existence of a supreme being. but rhetoric along the lines of “I cannot explain it clearly but something happened” isn’t much more of an argument than oral histories and folklore either. I am not even talking about you as I realize you’re not  chair of National Scientists Super Mensa Committee, but in general, all the answers I’ve heard are lacking the clarity and the perspective that would allow me to believe it and then defend it.

I can accept that we have workable theories regarding the origin of our universe that are constantly changing as new evidence is discovered. I'm also comfortable with the idea that there are things we don't yet know. I don't need to insert a deity into the equation to handle things that science hasn't yet been able to fully explain, like the origin of our universe.

8 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Do you believe Alexander the Great ever existed?

Sure, but people aren't attributing supernatural acts to him. I don't believe he was the son of Zeus.

19 minutes ago, toddc said:

You can shine the Light in a dark place, but if one closes his eyes he won’t see!

I provided links to testing of evolutionary biology and your response was essentially to put your fingers in your ears while saying "I can't hear you". Can you provide similar evidence and testing regarding your belief in a deity?

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

By Marilyn Adamson.                          We know God exists because he pursues us. He is constantly initiating and seeking for us to come to him.

I was an atheist at one time. And like many atheists, the issue of people believing in God bothered me greatly. What is it about atheists that we would spend so much time, attention, and energy refuting something that we don't believe even exists?!       

I'm not bothered by people believing in a god. I don't care if they're pagans with an entire pantheon of gods. I like interesting discussions with respectful people. Thus far, most people here have been respectful of each other and I have enjoyed the dialog.

4 minutes ago, selias said:

I don't need to insert a deity into the equation to handle things that science hasn't yet been able to fully explain, like the origin of our universe.

Until “science” says otherwise with actual proof, the possibility of creation by a supreme being is still just as likely as the possibility that the university was formed for reasons still unknown to man. You can keep a (the)deity out of it, but don’t tell us that we should when you don’t even know what happened yourself. That part doesn’t make sense. 

20 minutes ago, selias said:

Sure, but people aren't attributing supernatural acts to him. I don't believe he was the son of Zeus.

What we "believe" does not change facts....and the fact will be what it is.    You could say , I don't believe that London exists but that would not change the fact of it. Belief in God or in Jesus is a voluntary act....a person can do so....or not.   Those young men being Baptized were witnessing to their faith, not forcing anyone else to do the same.  

The life and death of Jesus is a historical fact, and belief in that fact has given comfort and hope to billons of people over the past couple thousand years.    A person can believe he died to give them life eternal...or not....hut it does not change the fact.       Jesus died for all of us.     Each person has the choice to accept or can reject that offer.......but the good news is that the offer is always open....freely available at any time ......all we have to do is decide to accept it.   

And as noted above by one of the posters..... an interesting discussion and well timed as we approach Easter.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

By Marilyn Adamson.                          We know God exists because he pursues us. He is constantly initiating and seeking for us to come to him.

I was an atheist at one time. And like many atheists, the issue of people believing in God bothered me greatly. What is it about atheists that we would spend so much time, attention, and energy refuting something that we don't believe even exists?!    

Maybe some atheists are bothered religion. My stance on the subject was was stated best by Cecil Rhodes. It's said that a group of divinity students cornered Rhodes on a ship sailing to Africa and asked him if he believed in God or not. His reply: " I give God 50-50. He may exist, he may not. I don't bother him". Maybe a true, died in the wool atheist wouldn't give God 50-50, I don't know or care about that. The subject of there possibly being a deity simply doesn't interest me.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Maybe some atheists are bothered religion. My stance on the subject was was stated best by Cecil Rhodes. It's said that a group of divinity students cornered Rhodes on a ship sailing to Africa and asked him if he believed in God or not. His reply: " I give God 50-50. He may exist, he may not. I don't bother him". Maybe a true, died in the wool atheist wouldn't give God 50-50, I don't know or care about that. The subject of there possibly being a deity simply doesn't interest me.

I say it with love.......I hope you like so many I have known don't wait until your death bed to take that interest.

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

How would our southern, Bible Belt Christians feel about having a female chaplain? 

It probably would not be a good idea to have a female chaplain for the football team, especially if she was good-looking. Why do you ask?

3 hours ago, selias said:

I'm not bothered by people believing in a god. I don't care if they're pagans with an entire pantheon of gods. I like interesting discussions with respectful people. Thus far, most people here have been respectful of each other and I have enjoyed the dialog.

I appreciate you openness. I think you would be crazy to believe in a deity because other people do. But I also think it would be unwise not to ask THE deity (in case there is one) to reveal Himself to you. I believe that if you told God that you don't believe He exists but that IF He does you sure would like for Him to reveal Himself, that He would oblige.

27 minutes ago, Grumps said:

It probably would not be a good idea to have a female chaplain for the football team, especially if she was good-looking. Why do you ask?

Just out of left field I guess. If you are watching the NCAA Tournament, Sister Jean from Loyola is getting a lot of press. As a side note, I am very neutral on religion. I think a lot of denominations are ridiculous in their translation of scriptures and offensive in their tenets they require from their congregations. I support separation of church and school on the high school level and down to kindergarten. The main reason is the difference in denominations and the head strong requirements that would be demanded by certain people in the communities. I know people personally who would march on the school house steps and demand no female teachers lead a prayer, ever. That’s just one example. So I think keeping any form of prayer out of school is probably necessary unless it’s led by students in respect to all other students. 

Maybe different for the college level like what we are discussing here, I have no problem with it. These are adults. They don’t have to participate, as you saw there was a fraction of the team present. I see no problems unless we want to make it a problem. Why would we do that? 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

How would our southern, Bible Belt Christians feel about having a female chaplain? 

I am one but not sure why you couch the question that way. Are we supposed to not like women pastors/chaplains? I would have no problem with it at all.  I have had great women pastors. But that's a good point, they should get a female ass't to Chette for the women who would feel better confiding in one.

On 3/22/2018 at 10:10 AM, DAG said:

Not trying to make this into a spiritual warfare but Christianity is anything but private, especially when you think of the early church in the Bible. I like that AU is willing to not be afraid to showcase this. I hope they have the same mindframe for others personal believes as well. Notice I said Christianity , not religion.

I am not comfortable with it at all. I dislike it because it is exclusionary whether it is intended or not. I know how all that works and saying that it isn't and living in the real world is a different thing. The lean for Christianity is there.  Auburn is a publicly funded University and this is stepping over the line. There are church buildings available for that kind of ceremony. Showcasing it as a part of the program is a big mistake. 

The kindest, most compassionate and intelligent people I know are not religious and do not really believe in God. These young men do not have to participate in religion to be good and moral people. It's fine if they choose to do so.....but I would bet there's a subtle pressure involved. That's how organized religion works. It becomes a clique with constant recruiting efforts for new believers. 

36 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I am not comfortable with it at all. I dislike it because it is exclusionary whether it is intended or not. I know how all that works and saying that it isn't and living in the real world is a different thing. The lean for Christianity is there.  Auburn is a publicly funded University and this is stepping over the line. There are church buildings available for that kind of ceremony. Showcasing it as a part of the program is a big mistake. 

The kindest, most compassionate and intelligent people I know are not religious and do not really believe in God. These young men do not have to participate in religion to be good and moral people. It's fine if they choose to do so.....but I would bet there's a subtle pressure involved. That's how organized religion works. It becomes a clique with constant recruiting efforts for new believers. 

I believe it levels the field a bit! Colleges all over the nation have professors and administrators leading an anti-God, anti-religion agenda all the time, and there is huge pressure on kids to get in line or be ostracized.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Just out of left field I guess. If you are watching the NCAA Tournament, Sister Jean from Loyola is getting a lot of press. As a side note, I am very neutral on religion. I think a lot of denominations are ridiculous in their translation of scriptures and offensive in their tenets they require from their congregations. I support separation of church and school on the high school level and down to kindergarten. The main reason is the difference in denominations and the head strong requirements that would be demanded by certain people in the communities. I know people personally who would march on the school house steps and demand no female teachers lead a prayer, ever. That’s just one example. So I think keeping any form of prayer out of school is probably necessary unless it’s led by students in respect to all other students. 

Maybe different for the college level like what we are discussing here, I have no problem with it. These are adults. They don’t have to participate, as you saw there was a fraction of the team present. I see no problems unless we want to make it a problem. Why would we do that? 

I agree with you. I will add that "Christians" are the world's greatest hypocrites. The Bible says that you will know Christians by the way they love others. If they are not loving others then, according to my interpretation of the Bible, they are not Christians.

54 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Do you believe they should end the practice of our players and opponent’s players praying together before and after football games?

41 minutes ago, toddc said:

I believe it levels the field a bit! Colleges all over the nation have professors and administrators leading an anti-God, anti-religion agenda all the time, and there is huge pressure on kids to get in line or be ostracized.

My daughter teaches at the college level. She does an outstanding job and her students love her. I am insulted by your comment.  Teaching science and facts does not do a disservice to anyone. It is their job to instruct students on what is factual and proven to be true. Knowledge is not the enemy.

31 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Do you believe they should end the practice of our players and opponent’s players praying together before and after football games?

I believe that if they want to....fine. If they don't....just as fine. Just do not make it an integral part of who the team is and begin pushing kids into a certain religious doctrine.  

But if you were being honest there are people who will villainize those who don't want to pray in public. If a player brought a prayer mat and faced Mecca there would be plenty of fans who would have an issue with that. Which is my point. I am saying that those kids who don't want to get involved in Christianity will be made to feel excluded no matter what people want to believe....especially with the way "Christianity" is seen as the only viable religion. 

This is why religion should stay out of public institutions in a highly visible way. Allow people to practice whatever religion they want and do not emphasize or encourage one over the other.

24 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

My daughter teaches at the college level. She does an outstanding job and her students love her. I am insulted by your comment.  Teaching science and facts does not do a disservice to anyone. It is their job to instruct students on what is factual and proven to be true. Knowledge is not the enemy.

But the THEORY of evolution and the Big Bang THEORY have not been proven to be true, and therefore cannot be stated as FACT.

3 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I believe that if they want to....fine. If they don't....just as fine. Just do not make it an integral part of who the team is and begin pushing kids into a certain religious doctrine.  

But if you were being honest there are people who will villainize those who don't want to pray in public. If a player brought a prayer mat and faced Mecca there would be plenty of fans who would have an issue with that. Which is my point. I am saying that those kids who don't want to get involved in Christianity will be made to feel excluded no matter what people want to believe....especially with the way "Christianity" is seen as the only viable religion. 

This is why religion should stay out of public institutions in a highly visible way. Allow people to practice whatever religion they want and do not emphasize or encourage one over the other.

So...if you are okay with them participating or not participating in one religious act on university property, then why aren’t you ok with them participating or not participating in another religious act on university property?

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don’t disagree with you on some points. I have met some very kind and wonderdul people who aren’t religious one bit and have met some serious nasty people who attend church every Sunday. That being said, my comment was in regards to someone saying Christianity should be a private matter. That unfortunately is totally impossible. The two is like oil and water. We are called to be lights of the world , not just in the privacy of our own home or church building. Unfortunately that does rub people the wrong way especially when those called to be lights of the world are actually in the dark as seen by their actions.

My degree from AU is in Biology (Marine Biology to be specific) so I am well versed in science, theory and facts.  One of the most intelligent people I ever met was my Evolution and Systematics prof at AU (Dr. George Folkerts).  I also took ecology from him as well.  He was also a Deacon in his church.  He said that anyone who tries to tell you that evolution did not and does not occur is a fool.  He also said that anyone that says there is not a Creator guiding that evolution is also a fool.  There is no reason for the disconnect between science and God.  

wde

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

My degree from AU is in Biology (Marine Biology to be specific) so I am well versed in science, theory and facts.  One of the most intelligent people I ever met was my Evolution and Systematics prof at AU (Dr. George Folkerts).  I also took ecology from him as well.  He was also a Deacon in his church.  He said that anyone who tries to tell you that evolution did not and does not occur is a fool.  He also said that anyone that says there is not a Creator guiding that evolution is also a fool.  There is no reason for the disconnect between science and God.  

wde

Very well said. I believe that intelligent design and certain “levels” of evolution can coexist and very well be a part of His design. The theory of evolution that has us believe that we evolved from pond scum through millions of statistically impossible occurrences to me takes greater faith than believing in a Divine Creator.

Archived