Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

7 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I did but heard it was good. I will watch it on TV when it comes out. There are differences. Grey is based a novel, Imagine on a true story. I just like true stories better. Grey cost $50M to make and got $571M at the box office. Imagine only cost $5M to make and still showing so don't know what the box office brings.

I was dragged there. Waiting on tv is a solid plan

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, toddc said:

Anyone else noticed the severely lacking gifs in this thread? Only God could have made that happen, but even with this powerful evidence, some on here will still not be convinced he exists!

DIng-Ding-Ding! The "Post of the Thread Award" has a winnahhhhh! Kudos, Sir! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, DAG said:

You are uncomfortable with where someone is getting baptized. That is fine and dandy, but the statement in bold that I highlighted is very intolerant. In fact, it goes against any point you are trying to make because as far as I know, they are well within their rights to do so at that pool. My opinion and your opinion DOESN'T MATTER at that point.

It's interesting to me that people who live far distant from the OP event, who would have known nothing about it if not for the OP,  who don't personally know any of the participants and who were in no way inconvenienced or affected by....and who apparently know nothing about how those guys made their decision ....and definitely know nothing about why they made that decision......these seem so vigorously opposed to them  having the right to exercise their free will.     

The totally uninformed, uninvolved and unaffected...... implying that this simple act might have been a bad thing for the participants (or maybe society in general) and therefore they should not have done this.     The "busy body" society at work on social media.

On 3/24/2018 at 12:41 PM, RunInRed said:

So hypothetically, you’d be cool with athletes being able to use the practice fields behind the complex to burn American flags, if they so choosed?

Would I be cool with it. NO!!!!.  But should it be allowed under Freedom of Speech? Yes. The Supreme Court has already ruled on that and I follow the laws of my country as long as I think they are ethical.  Just because something is allowed under Freedom of Speech does not mean there are no consequences. In no way would I ever support the person who burned the flag. As much as possible I would ostracize the person who did it. I would also let the person know what I thought about them for doing it.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, kd4au said:

Love it, we need more of these type of young men not less.

What type of young men would that be? You are implying that only Christian young men are worthy and that those who are not members of that particular group are less than desirable. That happens to be a very unattractive myth.

10 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

What type of young men would that be? You are implying that only Christian young men are worthy and that those who are not members of that particular group are less than desirable. That happens to be a very unattractive myth.

He didn't say that at all. You just choose to interpret it that way because it suits your narrative.....which appears to be the biggest myth in the thread so far.

10 hours ago, toddc said:

Anyone else noticed the severely lacking gifs in this thread? Only God could have made that happen, but even with this powerful evidence, some on here will still not be convinced he exists!

Or it could be that the gifmeisters have wisely steered clear of this discussion...

20 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

He didn't say that at all. You just choose to interpret it that way because it suits your narrative.....which appears to be the biggest myth in the thread so far.

I feel bad for belle....must have had some unpleasant experience in her past and seems to have a narrow and negative view of "organized religion" as opposed to unorganized religion which would probably describe my local church.

The old Methodist view of "think and let think" fits our small congregation and yet somehow we seem to get along and do some good things for the community too. 

As for the three young men who were Baptized, since they come from different cities, I expect they attend different churches....and I hope they will feel the desire to help serve their communities.    Like 'em or not, churches are a major positive force in helping deal with problems in our society. 

12 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

What is a false dichotomy? Christian religion teaches that woman was created from the rib of a man and many Christians do take that quite literally. 

The false dichotomy is that your only options are to take the Genesis account literally and thus believe in a Creator, or believe in science and not believe in God.

I agree with kd4au that more Christians on the team is a good thing. As a believer I rejoice each time someone makes a decision for Christ. My personal decision at an early age shaped my life. Even if you are not a Christian or are an atheist I can’t understand anyone thinking it is a bad thing. These young men have a roadmap to follow in living their life. This includes loving one another(all people), helping the less fortunate and the list goes on and on. I, for one, am very pleased with the influence Brother Chette and the coaches have had on these players’ lives!

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

You seem to be taking everything as a personal affront. Might I suggest taking a step back? I'm an atheist and took no offense to kd4au's post. Even as an atheist, I can accept there are some good allegories for conducting oneself as a decent human being in various religious texts.

27 minutes ago, wde21 said:

I agree with kd4au that more Christians on the team is a good thing. As a believer I rejoice each time someone makes a decision for Christ. My personal decision at an early age shaped my life. Even if you are not a Christian or are an atheist I can’t understand anyone thinking it is a bad thing. These young men have a roadmap to follow in living their life. This includes loving one another(all people), helping the less fortunate and the list goes on and on. I, for one, am very pleased with the influence Brother Chette and the coaches have had on these players’ lives!

And that’s the thing: if you take Christianity out of the equation and simply look at the teachings of Christ and how He instructed us to live our lives, how much better would the world be if we all TRIED to follow His example?

I put tried in all caps because that’s all any of us in our imperfect states can do. Try. Being a follower of Christ doesn’t make you perfect, but it points you to a perfect example of how you should TRY to live your life.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

i get what you are saying tigerbelle. and yes folks it does happen. on what scale i have no idea but i see it all the time locally.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i get what you are saying tigerbelle. and yes folks it does happen. on what scale i have no idea but i see it all the time locally.

Can you give us a few specific examples of what you've seen?

i have seen people that were christian get a job they were less qualified for than someone that was not into church.  how is that for a start?

18 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

There is no such thing as a Christian "terrorist."

You cannot be serious.

14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have seen people that were christian get a job they were less qualified for than someone that was not into church.  how is that for a start?

That's a really interesting gray area, fifty. Most businesses today push the idea of "fit" really hard these days, and "fit" is commonly considered more important than skills, even at the expert level of recruiting. Because of that, businesses can pretty much pick and choose what kind of person they want working for them and turn anyone down just by saying that they didn't think they were a good fit.

In the Southeast, there are a lot of Christian run businesses and a lot of businesses that cater to Christians, so you are going to get a lot of people that are going to choose someone who shares their beliefs to be part of their company. The key is, it's illegal to ask what someone's beliefs are during an interview, so you would have to volunteer that information for them to know. 

Living in the Midwest, you see VERY little of that when it comes to religious beliefs, but you still constantly see businesses turning highly qualified people away because they don't "fit". Sometimes that means they aren't the right age, sex, or race (businesses TOTALLY use fit to discriminate), sometimes it means they didn't go to the right school. Sometimes it means they don't know the right people. It's all over the board.

Of course, then you get into the fact that the government actually encourages the hiring of minorities over more qualified non-minorities, so... you've really got discrimination on both sides of the argument.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You cannot be serious.

i agree with tiger..........

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course, then you get into the fact that the government actually encourages the hiring of minorities over more qualified non-minorities, so... you've really got discrimination on both sides of the argument.

of course! i have seen minorities that could not do a job get made a supervisor. this includes women as well. also i have seen the good ol boy effect where they as well were picked over way more qualified peeps. and this is or was at a federal depot. hell i know for a fact a woman was made a supervisor over federal truck drivers. her job description wass to be able to the that job and the woman could not even start the truck.  later she was removed after getting the depot sued for mistreatment of a handicapped employee. i saw this with my own eyes........

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

of course! i have seen minorities that could not do a job get made a supervisor. this includes women as well. also i have seen the good ol boy effect where they as well were picked over way more qualified peeps. and this is or was at a federal depot. hell i know for a fact a woman was made a supervisor over federal truck drivers. her job description wass to be able to the that job and the woman could not even start the truck.  later she was removed after getting the depot sued for mistreatment of a handicapped employee. i saw this with my own eyes........

Well... when you get into the federal realm, affirmative action isn't just a suggestion, it's the rules. Any government run organization is required to have a certain percentage of minorities in various positions and actively work to promote them. 

As for the good ol' boy network. That is the #1 reason I left the Southeast. When I got into the business world down there I was shocked at how ingrained it is.

timothy mcV was one. eric rudolph was one. the kid blowing up folks of color in tejas was one. and over the last year or three many christians shot up folks and places. i am not being anti christian but i refuse to give someone a pass because they claim to be christian and love god. i do not do church anymore because too much hate comes out of too many churches anymore. i hate the way gays are treated even though i do not care for their lifestyle. the constitution claims all men are created equal right? they are not in this country and it is sad. love is and should always be the higher law. and what about known christians going out and defacing or bombing mosques etc? the only parts of the bible relevant to me anymore are the words of jesus, period.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Well... when you get into the federal realm, affirmative action isn't just a suggestion, it's the rules. Any government run organization is required to have a certain percentage of minorities in various positions and actively work to promote them. 

As for the good ol' boy network. That is the #1 reason I left the Southeast. When I got into the business world down there I was shocked at how ingrained it is.

it happens in the christian world as well. i am not saying this is the majority just to be clear.

54 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

We all have our biases. I used to hire Auburn grads over bammers for no other reason than I didn't want bammers around.;D

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

timothy mcV was one. eric rudolph was one. the kid blowing up folks of color in tejas was one. and over the last year or three many christians shot up folks and places. i am not being anti christian but i refuse to give someone a pass because they claim to be christian and love god. i do not do church anymore because too much hate comes out of too many churches anymore. i hate the way gays are treated even though i do not care for their lifestyle. the constitution claims all men are created equal right? they are not in this country and it is sad. love is and should always be the higher law. and what about known christians going out and defacing or bombing mosques etc? the only parts of the bible relevant to me anymore are the words of jesus, period.

How can you say these people were Christians? They obviously weren't practicing Christians although they may have claimed to be. A person saying he/she  is a Christian doesn't make them one.

36 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You cannot be serious.

Of course I'm serious. Name me a Christian terrorist (unless you are maybe refering to the Crusades of long ago). The two words don't even go together.

Archived