Rhett comments on his departure

WFE12

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Yes, the .739 winning % current coach at Miami.

Richt was good and owned us, but I believe Kirby will prove to be better.

wde

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I think that Green will apply some if he sees things becoming sluggish.

I hope he started with Gus from day he was hired.  The SECCG, the bowl game and recruiting this past year are indicators that things are "sluggish".

wde

6 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Outside of the UGA and Bama games we did not have a victory over any impressive opponents to beat our chest about.  2 Head coaches were fired and one left for an

So let's forget beating two teams ranked #1 in a three-week span and focus on the negative. If that's how you roll, enjoy it.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

So let's forget beating two teams ranked #1 in a three-week span and focus on the negative. If that's how you roll, enjoy it.

That's a two-way street. As long as folks exchange at least a cordial nod when passing in opposite directions,  I reckon it's all good.

Sincerely,
Friday Loof

:cheers:

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Dude I don't know what else you want me to say.  I stated in my first post kudos to Gus and that I have to give him praise.

"Outside of the UGA and Bama games we did not have a victory over any impressive opponents to beat our chest about."  This is nothing more than a quote and a fact.

Gus throttled UGA and their confused PE teacher in the first game.  Total domination and an old fashion curb stomp arse whoopin'.  Then he followed it up by beating a very physical team that thrives on stopping the run.  I can't say enough good things about the job of coaching he did in these games.  I saw a coach who was backed into a corner with a red hot seat with his name on it after the LSU debacle, which by the way was equally as bad as a great win, who coached like his job was on the line.  He tore through the rest of the schedule beating the bad teams badly and winning the games we were supposed to win with ease.  Then he got PAID.  He took his frozen metal gloves out of the freezer and grabbed AU by the nads for 7 years and reverted back to the same ole Gus.  Was KJ hurt?  Yep.  And he still reverted back to his stubborn philosophy of coaching that has never worked for him in the past.  It's clear to me Gus has the ability to put a gameplan together to beat great teams when he wants to.  It's also clear to me that he will for whatever reason pull an LSU or Mercer or Jacksonville State or Clemson whirly bird game out just when you think he has it figured out. 

Quoting @NorthGATiger: " Then he got PAID".... So you think the thing that motivates Gus is money and as soon as he got a new contract he slacked off and started dreaming of world-cruise vacations that he'd take as soon as the bowl game was over. You're in for a long seven years.

19 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

?  bama lives and dies by their defense. They've never had a stellar or truly consistent offense. Heck, a couple of years ago, their D scored like 1/3 (not checking the stats, so that could be high or low) of their points.

That’s my point. No other teams in the SEC have been any more consistently great. All have ups and downs. But some dude mentioned Oklahoma? Lol. 

On 3/30/2018 at 7:12 AM, McLoofus said:

That's a two-way street. As long as folks exchange at least a cordial nod when passing in opposite directions,  I reckon it's all good.

Sincerely,
Friday Loof

:cheers:

T.G.I., and a cordial nod.

Skoal.

ETA - I.O.U.

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Mississippi st. And TexAnM were both strong wins at the time. 

SHHHHHH! Those here that predicted we'd lose both of those games and Arkansas as well don't want to be reminded of their folly.

Gus no doubt has become one of the more controversial coaches AU has ever had.  Tub has been eclipsed.  And Little Terry has been left behind in his shadow.  But in the middle of the craziness of Gus i think something has plagued us that is not being addressed or is being forgotten.  INJURIES and DRAMA.  It seems ol man injury jumps up and bites us in the butt every spring, and at the most inappropriate moment and position every year during the regular season. Then there is the DRAMA.  Now all teams have problems with the drugs and wrong actions of players but it seems Gus has been plagued with a revolving door...... Always reading of someone leaving the program   In other words to me it is the total lack of consistency or ORDER this program has lacked with Him that has made him so controversial. Maybe i am trying to overlook the obvious, that he is stubborn to the core and has cost us games---  ( but we have said that is a trait of Saban, but he is much wiser with his moves?)---  But what has bothered me most in his tenure is the BUZZ constantly around our program, always a negative it seems.  And his attitude does not help at all in dispelling it.   But i am AU through and through.  Since 1966------  So I wish Him to become the best coach AU has ever had.       

W  A   R       E  A  G  L  E

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

That’s my point. No other teams in the SEC have been any more consistently great. All have ups and downs. But some dude mentioned Oklahoma? Lol. 

Oklahoma has had pretty consistently stellar offense. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, they have also had a consistently mediocre defense, as has the rest of their league, which could have something to do with their offensive numbers. Still their former OC/current HC can call a heck of a game, as we witnessed first hand.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

But some dude mentioned Oklahoma? Lol. 

I said Oklahoma, and the question was which offense has been consistently great or consistent at all.

22 hours ago, alexava said:

Serious question. Not arguing or trolling you. What offense has been consistently great or consistent at all? Besides turds in sec.

2017 #1 total offense

2016 #3 total offense

2015  #4 total offense

2014 #20 total offense

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2013-team-offense.html

Also..

4/5 in this last 5 meetings vs the SEC

2018  OU 45 UGA 54
2017  OU 35 AU 19 
2015  OU 31 UTk 24                                
2014  OU 34 UTk 10                           
2014  OU 45 UA 31

Avg 38 pt/gm

...it might just be me, but that qualifies as a pretty consistently good offense. Especially since Lincoln took over OC in 2015 and HC in 2017.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Mississippi st. And TexAnM were both strong wins at the time. 

FSU victory was a strong win for Bama at a time too and also Mississippi state over LSU. That is not how that works. Perception is not always reality. Btw, Texas A&M was unranked when we played them. How is that a strong win? The SEC was down. He is not wrong . Very top heavy this year. Mississippi state was a good not great team. 

43 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I said Oklahoma, and the question was which offense has been consistently great or consistent at all.

2017 #1 total offense

2016 #3 total offense

2015  #4 total offense

2014 #20 total offense

Also..

2018  OU 45 UGA 54
2017  OU 35 AU 19 
2015  OU 31 UTk 24                                
2014  OU 34 UTk 10                           
2014  OU 45 UA 31

Avg 38 pt/gm

...it might just be me, but that qualifies as a pretty consistently good offense. Especially since Lincoln took over OC in 2015 and HC in 2017.

I made the post in haste. My grammar was lacking. BUT the sentence fragment following the bolded sentence was made to limit the scope of great offenses to our own 14 team conference. Good find on Oklahoma though. 

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

FSU victory was a strong win for Bama at a time too and also Mississippi state over LSU. That is not how that works. Perception is not always reality. Btw, Texas A&M was unranked when we played them. How is that a strong win? The SEC was down. He is not wrong . Very top heavy this year. Mississippi state was a good not great team. 

So, unless you beat bammer, UGA or Clempson it means nothing? 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

So, unless you beat bammer, UGA or Clempson it means nothing? 

Did I say that? Nobody said that in this thread actually , including the guy you and Mikey are ripping on. What most of us are saying is that beating Alabama, UGA and Clemson aren’t the ONLY things. Gus deserves credit for beating those two from the fan base and he got it with the Uppers by getting a lucrative extension . However, he also lost to an average LSU team, on the road to Clemson and then to a way less talented UCF team. Are we just going to absolve those losses? Would you only count the exams you ace, but totally forget the exams you did average on or failed? Doesn’t make you a bad student but doesn’t make you the valedictorian either. Let’s try to be objective and look at the whole picture. Not only the highs or lows. You still didn’t explain how the aggies were a strong win at the time though.

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did I say that? Nobody said that in this thread actually , including the guy you and Mikey are ripping on. What most of us are saying is that beating Alabama, UGA and Clemson aren’t the ONLY things. Gus deserves credit for beating those two from the fan base and he got it with the Uppers by getting a lucrative extension . However, he also lost to an average LSU team, on the road to Clemson and then to a way less talented UCF team. Are we just going to absolve those losses? Would you only count the exams you ace, but totally forget the exams you did average on or failed? Doesn’t make you a bad student but doesn’t make you the valedictorian either. Let’s try to be objective and look at the whole picture. Not only the highs or lows. You still didn’t explain how the aggies were a strong win at the time though.

The aggies had 3 loses, one more than us. They were at home and had taken bammer to the wire a couple weeks earlier. We had a tough first half and pulled away in the fourth quarter. If you followed the game thread many on this forum expected us to lose and ranted in favor of Gus’ immediate death. (Don’t lose your mind that’s a little sarcasm) 

23 minutes ago, alexava said:

The aggies had 3 loses, one more than us. They were at home and had taken bammer to the wire a couple weeks earlier. We had a tough first half and pulled away in the fourth quarter. If you followed the game thread many on this forum expected us to lose and ranted in favor of Gus’ immediate death. (Don’t lose your mind that’s a little sarcasm) 

I wouldn’t lose my mind over things like that. I just like to know rationale as to why people say the things they do. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

2017 #1 total offense

2016 #3 total offense

2015  #4 total offense

2014 #20 total offense

Also..

2018  OU 45 UGA 54
2017  OU 35 AU 19 
2015  OU 31 UTk 24                                
2014  OU 34 UTk 10                           
2014  OU 45 UA 31

Avg 38 pt/gm

Fully with you on the Oklahoma offense. That is consistently the most complete offense in the country.  There have been some outliers, but not with the consistency as OU has been 

8 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Fully with you on the Oklahoma offense. That is consistently the most complete offense in the country.  There have been some outliers, but not with the consistency as OU has been 

Our bowl game year before last... jeez. They could do whatever they wanted. It's about as conflicted as I've ever been about hating the opponent's guts but totally admiring the way they were playing. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Our bowl game year before last... jeez. They could do whatever they wanted. It's about as conflicted as I've ever been about hating the opponent's guts but totally admiring the way they were playing. 

I was hoping desperately we would play like we did earlier in the year, but deeply knew the end result with that pairing and a beat up roster. I had been wanting that matchup since 2004, but wish we could have our full arsenal. 

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

I was hoping desperately we would play like we did earlier in the year, but deeply knew the end result with that pairing and a beat up roster. I had been wanting that matchup since 2004, but wish we could have our full arsenal. 

My thoughts and feelings on the matter exactly. 1000%. 

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Quoting @NorthGATiger: " Then he got PAID".... So you think the thing that motivates Gus is money and as soon as he got a new contract he slacked off and started dreaming of world-cruise vacations that he'd take as soon as the bowl game was over. You're in for a long seven years.

I know you are smarter than that.  It wasn't the money.  It was the temperature of his seat.  Hot seat = I need to pull out all stops and win these games after the LSU disaster that has the Auburn Family up in arms.  Cool seat/getting paid= I am going to do it my way and I don't care what anyone thinks.  We are not ever going to agree and that is fine.  My view is that Auburn had a season in which we played horribly against poor teams that did not let us give the younger guys, Willis, Barrett and others, any playing time and we beat both our biggest rivals in convincing fashion when they were ranked number 1 which is nothing short of awesome.  In between we had an unforgivable disaster at LSU and beat up a bunch of poor teams.  You think differently and I guess thats fine.  I am sure you will come around the corner with your cape on to rescue Gus everytime someone has something to say about him in a negative light. 

On 3/29/2018 at 3:38 PM, NorthGATiger said:

Our 10 wins last year.  Yes we won 10 and the offense put up numbers but dang look who we played

GA Southern- enough said
Mercer- Made it very interesting
Ole Miss- Horrible last year
Miss ST- Horrible
Arkansas- Really Horrible
Texas AM- Not very good
LA Monroe- enough said
Mizzou- Really bad
UGA- Kudos to Gus. I give him all the praise for this one
Bama- Same as above

Outside of the UGA and Bama games we did not have a victory over any impressive opponents to beat our chest about.  2 Head coaches were fired and one left for another school.  The problem with Gus' offense is that it works against mediocre teams and struggles mightily against good defenses.  There is not a team outside of UGA and Bama last year that we beat that even has a pulse.  If we can't run up the middle at will in this offense then it is over.  Uga finally figured this out and sent Roquan Smith on run blitz after run blitz in the second game.  He killed the run and pressured JS from getting anything done in the passing game.  Everything most posters on this board are screaming for are plays to be ran to combat an aggressive defense.  Make them play honest without being able to take any part of our offense away completely in a game.  Gus won't do it.  I think Buford High School here in GA could have set records against those defenses we played last year.

You contradicted yourself a little by saying we run up big numbers on mediocre defenses , but can’t against great defenses; and then listed our big wins against two of the best defense in the country in Alabama and Georgia . I got your point anyway.

Archived