The Federal Guvment is coming after your statues!!

homersapien

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No one said it is, nor does it matter.  The question you'd need to answer for this to be a valid response is:  To what degree would NOLA be so substantially different as it comes to the cost of removing metal and concrete from Baltimore.

For starters, our cemeteries are above ground because you literally cannot dig 6 feet underground without hitting water in many parts of the city. I'll let you think about that, you're smart. Is Baltimore below sea level? 

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yet it still went way over that due to security concerns mostly presented by the folks who were making death threats.  Whether you think the increased costs were justified or not, the fact of the matter is the circumstances did indeed change significantly and what could have been an uneventful removal, ala Baltimore, became much more involved.

To say that the increased security costs were mostly presented by people opposing the removal is incorrect. Alton Sterling was killed by police a few months before the statues were removed, just an hour up the road. That received national attention and lead to protests in Nola. It became undoubtedly intertwined with removal of statues in New Orleans. Again, thousands flocked to Lee Circle in protest. Think that "issue" played any role in increased security? 

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And the objective fact of the matter is that it's not a crippling figure no matter how significant the sum is to you.  Less than 1/6th of one percent of a budget just isn't.  Sure, that guy making $80,000 after taxes would have preferred to spend that $128 on something else, but it's not the end of the world.  It was a one time expense, no projects got shelved.  A one time $1M amount wouldn't have made a substantial dent in the various problems you see as plaguing your city.  And the thing is, had people simply not lost their frickin' minds over something that simply shouldn't have been that much of an idol to them, it wouldn't have.  Private money could have covered the entire thing.

You're clueless about city budgets. There isn't just a pool of money to grab from. Nevertheless, $1M is not a significant amount of money in light of New Orlean's operating fund, but it's still $1M. Again, there are much more pressing needs to address such as crime and failing infrastructure. Mitch should have stuck to initial word and not used taxpayer funds, irrespective of unforeseen circumstances. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

It was a one time expense, no projects got shelved.

Are you knowledgable about Mitch's agenda? Wasn't an early prime area of focus for him suppose to be the pumps throughout the city, that failed to operate and led to flood damage this past summer in an afternoon thunderstorm - due to neglect? 

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

For starters, our cemeteries are above ground because you literally cannot dig 6 feet underground without hitting water in many parts of the city. I'll let you think about that, you're smart. Is Baltimore below sea level? 

So?  The initial estimate was almost 9 times as much as it cost Baltimore.  I highly doubt removing statues was going to require that much deep digging but even if it did, it was still a reasonable estimate.  Even the contractor how ended up winning the job after H&O backed out only said it would be $600,000 and their reasoning was increased security concerns.  Nothing about some massively different technique needed to remove the monuments that isn't needed elsewhere due to sea level issues.

I'll let you think on that.

To say that the increased security costs were mostly presented by people opposing the removal is incorrect. Alton Sterling was killed by police a few months before the statues were removed, just an hour up the road. That received national attention and lead to protests in Nola. It became undoubtedly intertwined with removal of statues in New Orleans. Again, thousands flocked to Lee Circle in protest. Think that "issue" played any role in increased security? 

Only one side was issuing death threats to those removing the statues.  

You're clueless about city budgets. There isn't just a pool of money to grab from. Nevertheless, $1M is not a significant amount of money in light of New Orlean's operating fund, but it's still $1M. Again, there are much more pressing needs to address such as crime and failing infrastructure. Mitch should have stuck to initial word and not used taxpayer funds, irrespective of unforeseen circumstances. 

I'm not clueless about city budgets any more than you're an expert on them.  NOLA has been operating in the black from a few years now.  A one time addition of $1M to something that previously wasn't going to get it wouldn't solve the problems you feel plague your city.  Sure, it would have been preferable to stick within the budget.  It also would have been great if a bunch of misguided Dixie worshiping morons wouldn't lose their minds over a statue and simply let them come down and offer to take them off the city's hands for use in a private memorial somewhere.  But none of those things happened.  But I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that if you remove those protesting the removals from the equation, that the other faction wouldn't have been much of a concern.  They'd gather around to applaud but they aren't going to be upset by this.  Use your head.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

it was still a reasonable estimate.  Even the contractor how ended up winning the job after H&O backed out only said it would be $600,000 and their reasoning was increased security concerns.  Nothing about some massively different technique needed to remove the monuments that isn't needed elsewhere due to sea level issues.

I'll let you think on that.

Nope. The thing is, this kind of stuff isn't rare in New Orleans. It's basically commonplace that city projects end up way over budget and are completed way past due. For a recent example, the Bourbon Street construction ended up costing nearly double its initial budget and was not finished on time. Unlike you, I'm speaking from familiarity based on first-hand experience. I'll let you think on that. 

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Only one side was issuing death threats to those removing the statues.

Doesn't undermine my statement

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm not clueless about city budgets any more than you're an expert on them.  NOLA has been operating in the black from a few years now.  A one time addition of $1M to something that previously wasn't going to get it wouldn't solve the problems you feel plague your city.  Sure, it would have been preferable to stick within the budget.  It also would have been great if a bunch of misguided Dixie worshiping morons wouldn't lose their minds over a statue and simply let them come down and offer to take them off the city's hands for use in a private memorial somewhere.  But none of those things happened.  But I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that if you remove those protesting the removals from the equation, that the other faction wouldn't have been much of a concern.  They'd gather around to applaud but they aren't going to be upset by this.  Use your head.

This is exhausting. I maintain my point and I disagree with yours. I'm done going in circles. 

Moving on.... 

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Nope. The thing is, this kind of stuff isn't rare in New Orleans in the United States. It's basically commonplace that city projects end up way over budget and are completed way past due.

It happens a lot.  But in this situation we have extenuating circumstances that were THE major factor.  Circumstances that didn't have to occur.

Doesn't undermine my statement

It, along with some basic logic, undermines it quite a bit.

This is exhausting. I maintain my point and I disagree with yours. I'm done going in circles. 

Moving on.... 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Landrieu's decision to remove the statue was not because the majority of city residents wanted it removed. Lee Circle is one of New Orleans' most iconic historical locations. 

My point is, you don't really know what you're talking about. 

Maybe Landreu's decision to remove the statute was because of his personal belief he had a duty to represent all of the citizens and weighed the pros and cons of doing what he did objectively. I don't care.  It was the right thing to do and I applaud him. 

And my point is, you sound like an arrogant young jerk with no appreciation or empathy for the black experience in America. 

36 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It happens a lot.  But in this situation we have extenuating circumstances that were THE major factor.  Circumstances that didn't have to occur.

It, along with some basic logic, undermines it quite a bit.

There were many factors. The vote was passed in 2015. Much happened between then and the removal of the statue. 

You weren't here when Alton Sterling got shot. It was kind of a big deal. 

Notwithstanding that I’ve pointed out your unfamiliarity with some of the specifics, I won't convince you. Fair enough.

Perhaps I should’ve been more civil in my discussion. 

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Maybe Landreu's decision to remove the statute was because of his personal belief he had a duty to represent all of the citizens and weighed the pros and cons of doing what he did objectively. I don't care.  It was the right thing to do and I applaud him. 

Don't be fooled, the citizens didn't really give a s*** about the statue, at least not to the extent you'd like to purport. The appeal to his governmental duty is a waste of time. Trust me and take it on faith. 

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And my point is, you sound like an arrogant young jerk with no appreciation or empathy for the black experience in America.

Yeah, because anyone who disagrees with you must lack appreciation and empathy for the black experience. You're spot on. (NOT)

9 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Don't be fooled, the citizens didn't really give a s*** about the statue, at least not to the extent you'd like to purport. The appeal to his governmental duty is a waste of time. Trust me and take it on faith. 

Yeah, because anyone who disagrees with you must lack appreciation and empathy for the black experience. You're spot on. (NOT)

It's not the disagreeing part that's the problem. 

It's having a young arrogant jerk tell me "I don't know what I am talking about".

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It's having a young arrogant jerk tell me "I don't know what I am talking about".

I apologize for offending you. You do know what you're talking about. I'm just a young arrogant jerk.

I think the debate over statues is silly until they start discussing removing statues to men like Custer and Sherman, and anything involving western expansion in the United States. Especially those dedicated to US Calvary.

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Are you knowledgable about Mitch's agenda? Wasn't an early prime area of focus for him suppose to be the pumps throughout the city, that failed to operate and led to flood damage this past summer in an afternoon thunderstorm - due to neglect? 

This issue was thrust into focus by white supremacists and neonazis deciding these statues were worth killing over. The inane arguments defending these statues are what focused my attention. I supposed it did for Mitch, too. Wanna talk priorities? Where’s the logic in fighting so hard to protect these statues? 

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

You really should try naps.  It's never too early to learn.

That's awesome. ;D

This is so simple for me, if it hurts the one's you love, take them down. Nuff said. 

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

This issue was thrust into focus by white supremacists and neonazis deciding these statues were worth killing over. The inane arguments defending these statues are what focused my attention. I supposed it did for Mitch, too. Wanna talk priorities? Where’s the logic in fighting so hard to protect these statues? 

This was a local issue before any pieces of junk white supremacists got involved. 

I’m not fighting for the statues. I’m, like many others, concerned with the priorities that Mitch often revealed. To many, it seemed like a significant amount of his decisions were in furtherance of his ploy to get to Washington. Why are there streets in the 9th ward that don’t have police cameras yet, while there are numerous cameras on St. Charles, uptown? Why did our pumps get neglected, thereby causing immense property damage after a summer afternoon thunderstorm? Why are so many of our streets dilapidated? Why is our police force in despair? Why isn’t there more of a police presence in the quarter? Priorities priorities priorities. 

And also, what’s next? Was the removal of the statues just a selective move? Is Zulu going to be shut down? Is the city going to change its symbol? Are street names going to change? Are the names of buildings going to change? If there is no slippery slope, then how come? What’s the justification?

My legitimate concerns are shared by many others in the city. Many feel that he was hellbent on getting those statues removed not only in the absence of a general consensus, but also while leaving more pressing issues seemingly unattended to. If you have to spend that money on removing statues, then do it, but you better have a damn good explanation for not spending the same amount for street cameras in crime-ridden areas.

I love Nola. It is home. I hope, at minimum, you can at least understand the concerns. I’m not asking you to adopt them as your own.

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, sooner or later they'll be underwater.  Then they'll just be navigation hazards.  <_<

hahaha -sea levels be a rising aye.?..

NOLA.........live about 40 minutes away...............used to travel there to eat quite often..........could get a real glass of tea(not colored sugar water) and a delicious cup of Community dark roast you could stand a spoon in mmmmmmmmm

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Why not get rid of the few hundred white supremacists and neonazis that  exist and forget the statues which stand quietly and  unnoticed.  

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Why not get rid of the few hundred white supremacists and neonazis that  exist and forget the statues which stand quietly and  unnoticed.  

Finally, a sensible solution.   

5 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I apologize for offending you. You do know what you're talking about. I'm just a young arrogant jerk.

Stupid comment coming from you Nola.......studying to hard I suppose

Archived