Gus is an average coach

AUIH1

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Boosters for every team do pay players. There are a few, however, whow have turned buying players into an artform, and we now recruit directly against two of the biggest offenders.

This is a fact.  Coaches have no say in this.  $200 handshakes happen almost everywhere

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

This is a fact.  Coaches have no say in this.  $200 handshakes happen almost everywhere

Heck, I had a friend in college who was a "friend of Aubie", and when they would send him to alumni events he'd come back with several envelopes full of cash that would find their way into his costume during the event. Some deep pocket alumni can't help themselves.

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. Offensive mastermind with limited head coaching experience falls just shy of a title despite a terrible defense. Sounds familiar. Will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Nothing like an all-world mobile QB to make a coach look like a genius.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nothing like an all-world mobile QB to make a coach look like a genius.

Unless the coach doesn't use him intelligently, in which case the coach looks like an idiot. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Unless the coach doesn't use him intelligently, in which case the coach looks like an idiot. 

Yep as the theme I keep preaching haha..Talent can take you only so far. You still have to coach them up and put them in the best position to win. Whose to say SW couldn’t be a baker mayfield at a place like OU? Iono just wondering. It’s not like Baker was this 5 star recruit.

16 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I told you why in my first post... because we didn't have a plan b when the plan wasn't working and we didn't have back-ups ready to replace Kerryon when Georgia took him out.  I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to see the nuances. You always want to make blanket statements and then play the "Gus supporter" card when anyone tries to explain the bigger picture That is on Gus right

Good coaches don't WANT to put the whole team on one star player's shoulders... or in the case of 2015-16 several star players... but sometimes they don't have a choice because that player is just that much better than anyone below them. Sometimes they are still learning how to be better staffs and the importance of having #s 3, 4, & 5 on the depth chart ready to roll because #1 & 2 might not last the season... sometimes they have yet to build dept enough for 3, 4, & 5 to be good enough to plug-and-play. 
Year 5 with our recruiting we should have been covered.  And don't give me the Pettway injury excuse because if Jovon isn't dismissed then Gus never gives Pettway a sniff in the backfield anyway.

Let me ask you this. Do you think that Mark Richt is a good head coach? How about Jim Harbaugh? Both of them have had seasons tank because of the loss of key starters, and they are just the first two I could think of.    Why are we talking other schools coaches and who cares if I like them.  The discussion was about needing the offensive side of the ball and how poorly it does against good defenses.  Mark Richt and Jim Harbaugh are not helping Gus coach there

And now we're back to the Gus doesn't care about winning, he just does stupid stuff because he's stubborn argument. How about you go back and watch the game and see how many scoring drives were lost to turnovers... there's 14 possible, 7 definite points off the board... I guess Gus called those turnovers, right? Then our never miss kicker has a 31 yard field goal blocked. I'm sure that was part of the game plan too. And of course, we totally planned for our star QB to go 16/32 (50%) for 145 yards and 4.5 yards per completion. Kinda funny how our 3 pre-bowl losses were his 3 worst statistical games of the season, and the bowl was the worst for interceptions. Yes, when things weren't working, we should have changed it up, but you can't discount the fact that the ball flat out didn't bounce our way, a key member of our offense was incapable of playing at his usual level, and our QB was not having his best day.  Most people on this board know why Auburn lost the 2nd UGA game.  One staff adjusted both the gameplan as well as the players while another team left everything the same and told the QB, the WR's, and the whole backfield that the staff did not believe in them to go out and win the game so we were going to go with an injured KJ.

While you're at it, go back and watch the season and see how many great runs Kerryon where he made up for deficiencies in blocking to get the extra yards. Kam may be a solid back, and he's hopefully even better this year, but last year he was no Kerryon. Anyone else on our roster who was healthy was, without a doubt, a step down. When you are playing one of the best teams in the country, your QB is having a rough game, and your O-Line is flat out of juice, a step down is not a great option.  KJ is a great back.  I love the kid, what he stands for, and all he did for our great University.  Once again this is about Gus making some adjustments to his offense so that we are not stagnant in games against good defenses.  McLoofus just posted that in 3 years we have scored 13 or less 8 times.  EIGHT TIMES.  That is a problem sir and we can banter back and forth on here all day but that fact can't be swept under the rug.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep as the theme I keep preaching haha..Talent can take you only so far. You still have to coach them up and put them in the best position to win. Whose to say SW couldn’t be a baker mayfield at a place like OU? Iono just wondering. It’s not like Baker was this 5 star recruit.

What?...SW couldn't stay healthy 3 weeks in a row.  JMO but BM was not a traditional QB and as with Manziel, coaches let them free lance and they could do it...kinda like Nick

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I'm guessing that Lincoln Riley never had Baker Mayfield hand the ball off on 17 straight first downs. 

Watching CLR take our staff to school in the bowl game year before last was excruciating. 

Just now, AU64 said:

What?...SW couldn't stay healthy 3 weeks in a row.  JMO but BM was not a traditional QB and as with Manziel, coaches let them free lance and they could do it...kinda like Nick

Haha but funny thing is Baker Mayfield was a 3 star PRO style QB. The coaches saw his talent and put him in the best position to win . What about Jeremy Johnson? Again these are highly rated QBs. Johnny football was a 3 star QB out of college and these guys weren’t just free lancing around. They were highly accurate and very well coached QBs. Those two weren’t anything like Nick. Not even close. You are super reaching. 

14 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I actually forgot about this game too. Crap. 

Something about playing UGA and starting injured players Lol!

And before someone says “well, what happens to Kevin Sumlin?” He fell off after Johnny. The reason being is like CGM, Kevin is not a QB coach. He is an offensive schemer. When is offense has the right type of player it can go, but when it doesn’t...pick. Kliff was the QB coach that got Johnny where he needed to be. Ironically Kliff’s pride is what lost him Baker at Texas Tech. Kliff was also a huge part of the success that he had at Houston. And guess what? 4 of the QBs that Kliff has coached in some sort of fashion will have played in the NFL. Case Keemun, Johnny, Baker and Patrick 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm guessing that Lincoln Riley never had Baker Mayfield hand the ball off on 17 straight first downs. 

Watching CLR take our staff to school in the bowl game year before last was excruciating. 

As funny as this is it is so true.  It is what angers me about Gus so much.  Watching Gus at times is like watching someone hang a picture on a wall with a sewing needle and a sledgehammer while they have a pocket full of trim nails and a perfectly good trim hammer on the floor beside them.  Sometimes I think the man would drive to Orlando to get to Atlanta.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

And before someone says “well, what happens to Kevin Sumlin?” He fell off after Johnny. The reason being is like CGM, Kevin is not a QB coach. He is an offensive schemer. When is offense has the right type of player it can go, but when it doesn’t...pick. Kliff was the QB coach that got Johnny where he needed to be. Ironically Kliff’s pride is what lost him Baker at Texas Tech. Kliff was also a huge part of the success that he had at Houston. 

I'll be interested to see if Sumlin gets on somewhere as an OC and has success. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Well he is coaching at Arizona now which would be good for him

And I am not trying to dog CGM. He is an excellent OC . I just think as a HC he doesn’t put his talent in the best position to succeed at the highest level. Even when SW was here and Healthy, if I remember correctly , SW faced a lot of 3rd and longs that he truthfully bailed the coaches out in. Gus is great with having us rip up opponents we know we are more talented than. He has also shown he can put up numbers against the Bama’s of the world. Now we need to just see that consistency factor .

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. Offensive mastermind with limited head coaching experience falls just shy of a title despite a terrible defense. Sounds familiar. Will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Average?

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He’s already tbe HC at Arizona...

52 minutes ago, DAG said:

And before someone says “well, what happens to Kevin Sumlin?” He fell off after Johnny. The reason being is like CGM, Kevin is not a QB coach. He is an offensive schemer. When is offense has the right type of player it can go, but when it doesn’t...pick. Kliff was the QB coach that got Johnny where he needed to be. Ironically Kliff’s pride is what lost him Baker at Texas Tech. Kliff was also a huge part of the success that he had at Houston. And guess what? 4 of the QBs that Kliff has coached in some sort of fashion will have played in the NFL. Case Keemun, Johnny, Baker and Patrick 

+1

We have an offensive schemer who has been prone to over think, over plan, over analyze to the point that he has become rigid and entirely too predictable for this level of football.  It's been said that he has had difficulty accepting the opinion of others and he has trust issues with his staffers/players.  He 100% believes his scheme will work if executed to perfection but when it doesn't, he has shown an inability to adjust and evolve when it is absolutely clear that an adjustment is needed.  

I think it's all been part of his learning and development as an SEC HC, the pressure to succeed has to be astronomical for a cerebral fella like CGM.  He hasn't been in the profession at this level long enough to have established a "Process" for elite level success.  But I truly think he has the brain and the will to reach that level at some point in his coaching career, whether it be AU or elsewhere.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

That is on Gus right

Yea... never said it wasn't. I just said that our offense isn't the issue, it's the lack of plan b and the lack of players ready to step in when others go down. All of that is on Gus and his staff.

Year 5 with our recruiting we should have been covered.  And don't give me the Pettway injury excuse because if Jovon isn't dismissed then Gus never gives Pettway a sniff in the backfield anyway.

It's FAR more complicated than that and Jovon wasn't the only issue. Every time a player leaves early, gets kicked off the team, etc, you have to completely rework your plan. Say we know who's going to be the starters in 2018. We also have a pretty good idea of who we plan to have in place in 2019 and maybe even 2020 to a point. Now the 2018 guys leave for whatever reason. You have to fast-track the 2019 guys who aren't as good as the 2018 guys or they would have been pegged as the starters all along. You also need to back-fill for the guys who left while competing for the best guys with the likes of bama, Georgia, FSU, etc.

Why are we talking other schools coaches and who cares if I like them.  The discussion was about needing the offensive side of the ball and how poorly it does against good defenses.  Mark Richt and Jim Harbaugh are not helping Gus coach there

We're talking about other schools coaches because you and several other people always hold Gus to a higher standard than every other coach in college football. It's okay for one of them to have an off year because of injuries, but it's not okay for Gus. Gus should have back-up plans in place, but it's okay when other top coaches don't. It speaks to the irrational behavior of a portion of our fan base.

Most people on this board know why Auburn lost the 2nd UGA game.  One staff adjusted both the gameplan as well as the players while another team left everything the same and told the QB, the WR's, and the whole backfield that the staff did not believe in them to go out and win the game so we were going to go with an injured KJ.

You just go ahead and think that. If football was that easy, we'd all be making millions as head coaches.

KJ is a great back.  I love the kid, what he stands for, and all he did for our great University.  Once again this is about Gus making some adjustments to his offense so that we are not stagnant in games against good defenses.  McLoofus just posted that in 3 years we have scored 13 or less 8 times.  EIGHT TIMES.  That is a problem sir and we can banter back and forth on here all day but that fact can't be swept under the rug.

And again, I totally agree that adjustments should have been made when Kerryon was reinjured. I've discussed at length how that is one of the biggest issues Gus has, but as I have also laid out, it has NOTHING to do with good defenses and everything to do with the team being depleted and not having a back-up plan in place when that happens. There isn't a single game that anyone who actually knows football would say we lost because our offense is ineffective against good defenses. There are always other circumstances. Could we overcome those with better game planning and better development, yes. That is what I said in my very first post.

Yes, we have scored less than 13 points 8 times in 3 years... we've also played with numerous starters riding the bench more than 8 times in the last 3 years.

Until people stop expecting our coaches to field a championship caliber team no matter what the circumstance, you're just going to live your life disappointed, because you are expecting too much, period. 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Until people stop expecting our coaches to field a championship caliber team no matter what the circumstance, you're just going to live your life disappointed, because you are expecting too much, period. 

To be honest, as long as these non-stop comparisons to Nick frickin Saban continue to exist on this board, the expectations of our fans will remain sky high and absolute excellence will be expected from the coaches to the players, all the way down to the ball boys. 

There is absolutely nothing in the make-up of CGM & CNS's coaching style or personality that we should compare/contrast.  The entire management and administration of how they operate and run their programs are night and day.  From recruiting to player evaluation to game planning to development physically and mentally (Saban spends well over $1mm/yr on sports psychologists & motivational speakers for his staff & players.)

The only possible similarities is that they are both OCD to the extreme which I'm sure can has been an obstacle and a challenge in the continuously evolving career they chose to pursue. 

18 minutes ago, keesler said:

To be honest, as long as these non-stop comparisons to Nick frickin Saban continue to exist on this board, the expectations of our fans will remain sky high and absolute excellence will be expected from the coaches to the players, all the way down to the ball boys. 

There is absolutely nothing in the make-up of CGM & CNS's coaching style or personality that we should compare/contrast.  The entire management and administration of how they operate and run their programs are night and day.  From recruiting to player evaluation to game planning to development physically and mentally (Saban spends well over $1mm/yr on sports psychologists & motivational speakers for his staff & players.)

The only possible similarities is that they are both OCD to the extreme which I'm sure can has been an obstacle and a challenge in the continuously evolving career they chose to pursue. 

Your are 100% correct. I think some of the issues that starts these arguments is how emotional we get after wins or losses. If we beat Bama we think all of Auburn problems are absolved, if we lose to LSU, we amplify how big our issues really are. The best way to evaluate anything is to look at the finish product and overview the whole spectrum. Stop taking one piece and running with it. Easier said then done because all of us our bias to an extent and have done that at one point or another.

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Your are 100% correct. I think some of the issues that starts these arguments is how emotional we get after wins or losses. If we beat Bama we think all of Auburn problems are absolved, if we lose to LSU, we amplify how big our issues really are. The best way to evaluate anything is to look at the finish product and overview the whole spectrum. Stop taking one piece and running with it. Easier said then done because all of us our bias to an extent and have done that at one point or another.

Great post!

It's because we have a LOT invested in "Auburn" - money,  energy, attention, focus, overall fan hood whether you are an alum or not.  I tremendously enjoy watching a well coached team play football I don't care what team is playing.  I love to see players that know their job, execute it, and are well prepared for the opponent - coaches that know how to manage a sideline and show that they are prepared, have a plan in place and know how and when to make necessary adjustments to win the game - coaches that know when to pull starters and build up the back-ups and give them live game experience. 

We all get irritated and frustrated when we don't see that from our stands in the Fall after we've waited the entire off-season and built up anticipation and hopes for months.  We don't understand how we (sofa coaches) can see with our own eyes deficiencies with the team/scheme/player personnel and our coaches that are paid millions and spend 100 hrs a week focused on the exact same thing and they don't see the weaknesses or can't make adjustments to correct them.  We can't stomach bone-headed play calling, and idiotic plays that make it appear the guys in charge don't belong at this level of coaching. 

What makes the it worse is we witness the team execute and kick good teams ass (UGA/UAT '17) only to see them crap (don't want to circumvent the profanity filter again) the bed and look unprepared and then go on to play with little to no mental toughness & enthusiasm (UFC.)   It's a roller coaster ride every year - but I love it still.  WDE!

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... never said it wasn't. I just said that our offense isn't the issue, it's the lack of plan b and the lack of players ready to step in when others go down. All of that is on Gus and his staff.

It's FAR more complicated than that and Jovon wasn't the only issue. Every time a player leaves early, gets kicked off the team, etc, you have to completely rework your plan. Say we know who's going to be the starters in 2018. We also have a pretty good idea of who we plan to have in place in 2019 and maybe even 2020 to a point. Now the 2018 guys leave for whatever reason. You have to fast-track the 2019 guys who aren't as good as the 2018 guys or they would have been pegged as the starters all along. You also need to back-fill for the guys who left while competing for the best guys with the likes of bama, Georgia, FSU, etc.  All teams face these same challenges

We're talking about other schools coaches because you and several other people always hold Gus to a higher standard than every other coach in college football. It's okay for one of them to have an off year because of injuries, but it's not okay for Gus. Gus should have back-up plans in place, but it's okay when other top coaches don't. It speaks to the irrational behavior of a portion of our fan base.  I am not holding Gus to a higher standard.  I said that we must improve our offense against the teams we face who have a pulse on defense.  The Facts show that we fail miserably against teams who have equal talent.

You just go ahead and think that. If football was that easy, we'd all be making millions as head coaches.  We lost that game on coaching decisions and game planning.  Did we make some execution mistakes, yes we did but we didn't make 33 points worth of them.  We boneheaded the 2nd UGA game up before we ever took the field.  It is precisely the same mistake Gus made a year earlier in the extremely painful to watch 13-7 UGA loss.

And again, I totally agree that adjustments should have been made when Kerryon was reinjured. I've discussed at length how that is one of the biggest issues Gus has, but as I have also laid out, it has NOTHING to do with good defenses and everything to do with the team being depleted and not having a back-up plan in place when that happens. There isn't a single game that anyone who actually knows football would say we lost because our offense is ineffective against good defenses. There are always other circumstances. Could we overcome those with better game planning and better development, yes. That is what I said in my very first post.

You truly believe that under Gus we have not lost a game because our offense was ineffective against a good defense.  Please go look at our losses the last 3 years when we were healthy and read what you just wrote.  The whirly Bird Cox Cat offense at Clemson was effective???????

Yes, we have scored less than 13 points 8 times in 3 years... we've also played with numerous starters riding the bench more than 8 times in the last 3 years.

Are you really going to go out on a limb and find excuses for scoring less than 14 points 8 times in 3 years?  All teams have problems.  Gus himself would not use that excuse.

For you and others who think like you, expecting anything more from Gus or our offense is expecting too much.  I don't expect to win the SEC every year.  I expect Gus and our offense to find ways to improve and yes there is lots of room for improvement.  You just can't mention it on here without some people wanting to wrap Gus up in a blanket and coddle him.  Am I wrong in stating that we have struggled against equal teams on the offensive side of the ball and that in order to take the next step we need to be more than a WR screen, go deep, or run up the middle offense?  I have learned 2 things about Gus as a head coach. #1  He is not the same play caller/designer he was as an OC.  It's not even close.   #2  His philosophy on offense when it is clicking is best with a dual threat QB and or the ability to run straight at a team even when they know it is coming.  The 2017 team was one that for the most part could line up and cram KJ down your throat and make you like it.  We had success with the deep ball because of this.  What we lacked was an answer when the running game was slowed down.  At that point we had no answer and we were left trying the deep ball and WR screen as our bread and butter.  This left JS running for his life against good defenses.  Gus, in my opnion, MUST develop and call plays in the passing game that are successful when you have 8-9 guys in the box stopping the run and making your QB's life hell.  The deep ball ain't the answer, RB up the middle ain't the answer, and the WR Screen ain't the answer.  Until he uses the whole field in the passing game we will see this problem over and over again.  We have the talent at the QB position and WR position to be able to beat teams who stop the run against us.  Up to this point we just haven't had the coaching/playcalling to do it.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:48 PM, AUIH1 said:

I knew you would appreciate it. About to start a new round of chemo and radiation for my throat cancer.  My give a crap meter is pretty low right now in terms of an AU fan boy/girl message board.

wde

I hope the chemo will do the job and remember that God is always by your side and can heal any disease our bodies become burdened with. You are in my prayers. We may not agree about Gus, but we are all Auburn family and pray that a cure is on its way for you!

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

All teams face these same challenges

Yup... and most teams struggle and often lose when it happens. I pointed that out and you questioned why we were talking about other teams because it didn't fit your agenda.

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I am not holding Gus to a higher standard.  I said that we must improve our offense against the teams we face who have a pulse on defense.  The Facts show that we fail miserably against teams who have equal talent.

You have an interesting definition of facts. We've beaten several teams with equivalent talent. We've also lost to teams with less talent. Once again, it's not our offense... some of it is game planning and some of it is personnel. We have one of the most prolific offenses in the NCAA.

6 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

We lost that game on coaching decisions and game planning. 

See... now your flip flopping... from the moment this discussion started, I said our two issues were a lack of plan b and not having players ready to fill in (coaching decisions and game planning). Yet you argued that it was our offense which is "ineffective against good defenses". Now your agreeing with my original statement and pretending that you are somehow correcting my thinking.

13 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

You truly believe that under Gus we have not lost a game because our offense was ineffective against a good defense.  Please go look at our losses the last 3 years when we were healthy and read what you just wrote.  The whirly Bird Cox Cat offense at Clemson was effective???????

Ah, the 2016 Clemson game. That had nothing to do with our offense being ineffective against good defenses. That had everything to do with having literally no game plan going into the game. We never ran our offense in that game. To this day, I don't know a single person who knows what we were doing.

15 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

For you and others who think like you, expecting anything more from Gus or our offense is expecting too much.  I don't expect to win the SEC every year.  I expect Gus and our offense to find ways to improve and yes there is lots of room for improvement.  You just can't mention it on here without some people wanting to wrap Gus up in a blanket and coddle him.  Am I wrong in stating that we have struggled against equal teams on the offensive side of the ball and that in order to take the next step we need to be more than a WR screen, go deep, or run up the middle offense?  I have learned 2 things about Gus as a head coach. #1  He is not the same play caller/designer he was as an OC.  It's not even close.   #2  His philosophy on offense when it is clicking is best with a dual threat QB and or the ability to run straight at a team even when they know it is coming.  The 2017 team was one that for the most part could line up and cram KJ down your throat and make you like it.  We had success with the deep ball because of this.  What we lacked was an answer when the running game was slowed down.  At that point we had no answer and we were left trying the deep ball and WR screen as our bread and butter.  This left JS running for his life against good defenses.  Gus, in my opnion, MUST develop and call plays in the passing game that are successful when you have 8-9 guys in the box stopping the run and making your QB's life hell.  The deep ball ain't the answer, RB up the middle ain't the answer, and the WR Screen ain't the answer.  Until he uses the whole field in the passing game we will see this problem over and over again.  We have the talent at the QB position and WR position to be able to beat teams who stop the run against us.  Up to this point we just haven't had the coaching/playcalling to do it.

I totally agree with that statement.

The rest of it I see as a lot of generalities that ignored the details of the games that were played. Saying things like "we are a deep ball and WR screen team" totally ignores the fact that we did A LOT more than that. Heck, our best receiver, while he did get a decent amount of screens, caught balls all over the field. And while Hastings had a few good long balls, most of his action was over the middle.  It's like you see the things that annoy you and totally forget about the rest of the game.

Yes, we lacked an answer when the running game was slowed down because the running game was slowed down by our #1 back being hurt and no one being ready to step up in his place.

Yes, Stidham was running for his life, because the line wasn't protecting him and/or the receivers weren't getting open. That's also part of why we had no one to fill in for Kerryon, because even when he was hurt, he was still our best blocker. That's not a flaw in the overall scheme, that's lack of execution.

Here's the thing, you can call plays all day long, but if you don't have the players who are both ready and talented enough to execute those calls they aren't going to be successful.

So I go back to my original statement. Our offense is not an issue against good defenses, our lack of having a plan b when something doesn't go right and our lack of having back-up players ready to go if the starter goes down are the issues we need to fix.

Archived