Gus is an average coach

AUIH1

49 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That we could have a shot at? Why? Or a list of SEC coaches better than Gus? Does having a league full of either mediocre or inexperienced coaches mean that Gus isn’t mediocre?

As for my list: 

1.Saban

2. Fisher

3. Malzahn/ Smart

5. Mullens 

6. Muschamp

7 and ⬇️: Make the list yourself, foo!

That's a reasonable list...gonna see what Jimbo is gonna do with SEC West so will give him time to get established.....and Smart needs more than one mediocre year and one great year though he has the horses over there ....but Gus is 1 and 1 with him so rating them the same is OK with me. . 

Otherwise, when Muschamp makes it to # 6 that tells you how thin the SEC coaching ranks are these days.  Below Muschamp (and maybe below Mullens, I'd just about throw the names in a hat and just pick them out randomly.   

For a while, I was thinking the SEC was getting stronger but more likely it is gonna be harder to get a new top coach into the conference unless you do like TAMU did with essentially a lifetime guaranteed $100 million contract which almost nobody else can do though bama might try it when NS leaves.  

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Still looking for some if the better coaches on your list...ones we could have a shot at....sounds like that should be easy

Look at our history of hiring head football coaches AU64, AU gets what they can get and they don't come from the upper echelon of coaching circles.  Gus is right in line with Auburn's football history.

The bottom line, AU people want MORE than AU's historical past.   Losing 3-4 games a year don't cut it, losing more bowl games than they win under a coach just won't cut it either.  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

That's a reasonable list...gonna see what Jimbo is gonna do with SEC West so will give him time to get established.....and Smart needs more than one mediocre year and one great year though he has the horses over there ....but Gus is 1 and 1 with him so rating them the same is OK with me. . 

Gus is 1-2 vs Smart, did you forget that ****show in 2016? mod edit: do not evade the profanity filter

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Gus is 1-2 vs Smart, did you forget that ****show in 2016?

Obviously I did....thanks........but Smart needs another couple years but if you rate him higher I'm not gonna dispute it.  But still wondering where someone better than either one of them comes from? 

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

Look at our history of hiring head football coaches AU64, AU gets what they can get and they don't come from the upper echelon of coaching circles.  Gus is right in line with Auburn's football history.

The bottom line, AU people want MORE than AU's historical past.   Losing 3-4 games a year don't cut it, losing more bowl games than they win under a coach just won't cut it either.  

Everyone wants more than their historical past...which is why Richt and Les and Sumlin and a half dozen other coaches get fired. 

And as someone noted a while back, after 8 or 10 years people get tired of their coach... especially if he has disappointed enough people  in enough big games or bowl games....so it's easy to decide that they can hire someone better even when they don't have a name or face to put on the Wanted Poster.    So we will fire Gus sooner or later and then see where we go from there.....and I hope we don't end up like the next Tennessee or Florida.... 

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Gus is 1-2 vs Smart, did you forget that ****show in 2016?

I actually forgot about this game too. Crap. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Everyone wants more than their historical past...which is why Richt and Les and Sumlin and a half dozen other coaches get fired. 

And as someone noted a while back, after 8 or 10 years people get tired of their coach... especially if he has disappointed enough people  in enough big games or bowl games....so it's easy to decide that they can hire someone better even when they don't have a name or face to put on the Wanted Poster.    So we will fire Gus sooner or later and then see where we go from there.....and I hope we don't end up like the next Tennessee or Florida.... 

Amen to the last part. I moved to Knoxvegas just as the mob wanted Fulmer gone. They incorrectly assumed great candidates would beg for their tradition laden program. Fast forward and they are 1-21 vs UAT and UF combined the last 11 years. They are 0-6 vs AU this century, and were 0-8 in the SEC last year. It can, and often does get worse when you fire a winning coach. 

Kirby is a question mark right now. Let’s see how he does against LSU, Auburn and UF. They will get a substantial amount of wins just based off their terrible OOC scheduled and the fact that they are more talented than mizzou, USCe, UK, Georgia tech etc. I also want to see how he does against Tennessee . If he can go 2-2 or better against those 4 teams, I would say that is pretty successful after last year and what they have coming back.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Kirby is a question mark right now. Let’s see how he does against LSU, Auburn and UF. They will get a substantial amount of wins just based off their terrible OOC scheduled and the fact that they are more talented than mizzou, USCe, UK, Georgia tech etc. I also want to see how he does against Tennessee . If he can go 2-2 or better against those 4 teams, I would say that is pretty successful after last year and what they have coming back.

He is off to a good start, has an outstanding recruiting base....not many negatives about his situation but has some things to learn about coaching.  That might sound funny considering how far they got last year but he should not have gotten blasted by AU last year and JMO , was fortunate to win the re-match....and of course to let a freshman QB bring bama back against him in the championship game......:dunno:

33 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I actually forgot about this game too. Crap. 

We ALL tried...

Thanks @keesler :angry:.

He is off to a good start, has an outstanding recruiting base....not many negatives about his situation but has some things to learn about coaching.  That might sound funny considering how far they got last year but he should not have gotten blasted by AU last year and JMO , was fortunate to win the re-match....and of course to let a freshman QB bring bama back against him in the championship game......:dunno:

He definitely has things he has to learn . Every coach has room to grow including the great NS. The key is how do you respond ? He responded well to Auburn loss. He responded being down at half against OU. How is he going to respond with being so close to a NC? He is starting off well with bringing in the #1 recruiting class in the nation. Now let’s look at results 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

He definitely has things he has to learn . Every coach has room to grow including the great NS. The key is how do you respond ? He responded well to Auburn loss. He responded being down at half against OU. How is he going to respond with being so close to a NC? He is starting off well with bringing in the #1 recruiting class in the nation. Now let’s look at results 

Smart coaching against a rookie HC in that game.....who had even less experience and it showed.   Two young coaches with a lot of talent and who had mostly gotten by on having better talent than their opposition  and of course Riley had a Heisman QB.       Will be interesting to see how Lincoln Riley does in year 2.also.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Smart coaching against a rookie HC in that game.....who had even less experience and it showed.   Two young coaches with a lot of talent and who had mostly gotten by on having better talent than their opposition  and of course Riley had a Heisman QB.       Will be interesting to see how Lincoln Riley does in year 2.also.

He better step up because OU fans are pissed haha. We aren’t the only fans who act spoiled too. I have some OU alumni friends who honestly think he is overrated and pretty much the only way to convince them other wise is a NC . They don’t expect to not be in the playoffs. 

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

He better step up because OU fans are pissed haha. We aren’t the only fans who act spoiled too. I have some OU alumni friends who honestly think he is overrated and pretty much the only way to convince them other wise is a NC . They don’t expect to not be in the playoffs. 

Stoops put the squeeze on Okla fans but quitting  at the last minute and pretty much forcing them to hire Riley.  They might have done it anyways but just as likely would have tried to find someone with more experience.   Meanwhile....LR better take a hard look at his DC...some unbelievable scores in their games. 

Stoops put the squeeze on Okla fans but quitting  at the last minute and pretty much forcing them to hire Riley.  They might have done it anyways but just as likely would have tried to find someone with more experience.   Meanwhile....LR better take a hard look at his DC...some unbelievable scores in their games. 

Exactly their defense is abysmal and it should not be the case.

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Huh. Offensive mastermind with limited head coaching experience falls just shy of a title despite a terrible defense. Sounds familiar. Will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Good point. Until last year though, we had a string of several top 10 classes. We are not missing on 7 or 8 key guys a year, we’re missing on 2 or 3. Clemson is getting top shelf talent in Georgia and Florida. That wasn’t happening with Tommy Bowden, but Dabo upgraded the brand. A large part of his game is off the charts enthusiasm and selling a vision. Those traits aren’t exactly strengths of our HC. We’re a really good program but need to upgrade our intensity and sense of urgency to be a great program. 

Me thinks he may have another little help in recruiting $$$....this is strictly my opinion

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Me thinks he may have another little help in recruiting $$$....this is strictly my opinion

Maybe, but every fanbase in college football thinks every team they recruit against pays players. 

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Maybe, but every fanbase in college football thinks every team they recruit against pays players. 

So true in more ways then one

14 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We have like the worst reputation of it haha

11 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yep..and like it or not, Clemson is located in a charming college town, has a rabid fan base, a huge stadium and is located not much more than 100 miles from many very good HS players in the state of Georgia. ...and it has a lake.   

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I was at a OU watch party for the Georgia game. They couldn't believe they gave up that many points to a SEC Offense, Riley choked and went conservative, the get use to it, this is what we get for the next X amount years comments. Should of gotten rid of Bob earlier and gotten Herman, Texas is going lights out recruiting and will own us comments. It was entertaining.

41 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I was at a OU watch party for the Georgia game. They couldn't believe they gave up that many points to a SEC Offense, Riley choked and went conservative, the get use to it, this is what we get for the next X amount years comments. Should of gotten rid of Bob earlier and gotten Herman, Texas is going lights out recruiting and will own us comments. It was entertaining.

Exactly and their team lost in OT in the playoff semifinals , correct? I consider the things we complain about to be marginal when you have fans who expect championships. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. Offensive mastermind with limited head coaching experience falls just shy of a title despite a terrible defense. Sounds familiar. Will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

He is one of the few I see with the potential to be a better coach for Auburn than Gus. Upside for him in his current situation is that poor defences aren't exactly uncommon in his conference.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Boosters for every team do pay players. There are a few, however, whow have turned buying players into an artform, and we now recruit directly against two of the biggest offenders.

Archived