Gus is an average coach

AUIH1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I looked for such stats across all of college football but couldn't fine any. My gut feeling is that 3-8 in games where a team trails at the half is pretty darned good, way above average to be sure. I stand to be corrected by someone who is better at internet searches, but until then I'll stick with 3-8 in such games being above average.

Right after halftime during the Peach Bowl when Auburn had scored to tie the game at 13, they showed the stat that under Gus we're 2-8 when trailing by 7 more at halftime.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Right after halftime during the Peach Bowl when Auburn had scored to tie the game at 13, they showed the stat that under Gus we're 2-8 when trailing by 7 more at halftime.

That doesn't seem like it's anywhere close to average.

If 2-8 when trailing by 7 is average I think we better try like hell not to trail by 7+ at half. That’s my expert opinion. I wish there was a gif to help me better express this....

21 minutes ago, fredst said:

If 2-8 when trailing by 7 is average I think we better try like hell not to trail by 7+ at half. That’s my expert opinion. I wish there was a gif to help me better express this....

tumblr_inline_o0ewseldxA1t1r36n_500.gif

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Part of the reason is that we take a very different approach to football. We're about family, support, building good men along with good football players. A lot of the mental stuff goes against that, because it's about tearing the individual down and building them back up as a football machine. The closest thing we have to that is Garner, and he still goes into dad mode when he feels a player needs it. Saban doesn't do dad mode. He's the boss, you work for him, it's your job to do your job, period. Don't do it, someone else will. Don't like it? There's the door.

We do indeed take a different approach, and its one I’ve questioned for some time. I believe it is great to foster a family atmosphere. But having a family culture is not optimal for a business, and CFB is a huge business. Family decisions are made on emotion and relationships, and judgement is often clouded by wanting to keep the peace. Elite Businesses make decisions on profit and loss, and integrate accountability and results into everything they do.  Having a fun and close knit culture and pushing people to new heights in their craft are not mutually exclusive. Theres no evidence I’m aware of that our current approach is building better men than our rivals. Every program has high character kids and a few bad apples. Auburn is exactly where Clemson was a few years ago: a top 15 program capable of great things and capable of a lot of mediocrity. Their HC and AD rebuilt their culture and suddenly they’re mentioned among the football elites, and are built to sustain excellence. There is ZERO reason AU cannot do the same. I’m eager to see what changes Mr. Greene brings and how it aligns with Gus continued development as a HC. 

This thread is dead, let it go!

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Well it's 2-9 now........ We trailed 13-6 at halftime and ended up losing to UCF.

8 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Do you have a recording of the game and, if so, could you report the actual numbers?  Incidentally, above average "across all of college football" is not encouraging to those of us that want AU to be competing in the playoff. 

Recording of what game? There was no discussion of individual games. Do you expect AU to win 100% of games in which the team is trailing at the half? How odd.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

When is being 3-8 in anything ever good. Smh ??‍♂️ 

3-8 is above average for teams trailing at the half. Nobody likes being 3-8 in anything except maybe batting average, but I doubt if 3-8 or even 2-8 is the norm for teams trailing at the half. 1-10 is probably much closer to it.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

This thread is dead, let it go!

No benefit to letting it die. If this one dies the whiners, gripers and crybabies will simply start another and then they''ll be posting the same whines, gripes and tearful opinions all over again. This way, at least there's a small amount of variety in the complaints.

If all I knew was what's in this thread, I'd pick AU to finish 2-10 this coming season.

@Auburnfan91 Quote: " Right after halftime during the Peach Bowl when Auburn had scored to tie the game at 13, they showed the stat that under Gus we're 2-8 when trailing by 7 more at halftime. "

That's not what I was looking for. I'm wondering what the percentage of teams is that win when trailing by 7 or more at the half. 2-8 may not turn out to be all that bad, as I'm guessing 1-10 is probably the norm.

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Recording of what game? There was no discussion of individual games. Do you expect AU to win 100% of games in which the team is trailing at the half? How odd.

The Peach Bowl game against UCF.  That's where I saw the graphic come up.  I can't be sure the record was 3-8 -- it was my guess.  

And to answer your question about expecting AU to win 100% of games where they are behind at the half ... ... under Gus, absolutely NOT. 

5 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

The Peach Bowl game against UCF.  That's where I saw the graphic come up.  I can't be sure the record was 3-8 -- it was my guess.  

And to answer your question about expecting AU to win 100% of games where they are behind at the half ... ... under Gus, absolutely NOT. 

Under anybody, absolutely not.

3 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Much obliged!  :bow:

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

3-8 is above average for teams trailing at the half. Nobody likes being 3-8 in anything except maybe batting average, but I doubt if 3-8 or even 2-8 is the norm for teams trailing at the half. 1-10 is probably much closer to it.

Not posting the entire article here because it's about betting odds and frankly that stuff doesn't interest me but an article I found when searching said that 71% of teams winning at the half wound up winning the game in CFB. NFL was more like 74%. It did not mention the halftime deficit, just that they were ahead. So basically if your trailing at the half you will lose about 3 out of 4 times. 

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Not posting the entire article here because it's about betting odds and frankly that stuff doesn't interest me but an article I found when searching said that 71% of teams winning at the half wound up winning the game in CFB. NFL was more like 74%. It did not mention the halftime deficit, just that they were ahead. So basically if your trailing at the half you will lose about 3 out of 4 times. 

So basically do your best to not freaking trail at half time.  Of course someone will spin this to “we are one of the best teams when we trail at halftime.”

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well the source up there said he was 2-8 PRIOR to the UCF loss. Wouldn’t that make him 2-9 now? Isn’t that on par for the average or below it by your standards?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

So basically do your best to not freaking trail at half time.  Of course someone will spin this to “we are one of the best teams when we trail at halftime.”

Someone?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Well the source up there said he was 2-8 PRIOR to the UCF loss. Wouldn’t that make him 2-9 now? Isn’t that on par for the average or below it by your standards?

Yes, pretty close to normal, perhaps a little below. Some big selling point for a random basher to support his whining? Nah.

Archived