Pro Day on the Plains

woods1110

Tracking the Tigers

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

Pro football scouts crowd together to time Auburn senior players at the school's annual Pro Day on Monday. Among those working out were tailbacks Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown, who are both projected first-round picks in next month's NFL draft.

-- Photos by Mickey Welsh Advertiser

AUBURN -- Auburn's high-profile seniors were back on the football field together on Monday morning. Quarterback Jason Campbell threw balls to tailbacks Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown, cornerback Carlos Rogers honed his footwork and safety Junior Rosegreen sought out coaches for advice.

It was like old times, with only one difference.

It was Pro Day on the Plains. More than 150 scouts from the NFL were there analyzing, listening and noting everything that happened.

"It is a big meat market," Williams said. "They ask you all kinds of questions and take all kinds of (measurements). If they're going to invest $1 million in you, they want to know everything about you."

Evaluators spent the day watching 13 Auburn seniors run, jump and lift weights for hours. Players also were tested with drills designed specifically for their positions, allowing teams to get an intimate view of each prospect's skill set.

Many of the drills seemed mundane.

Tim Ruskell, president of football operations for the Seattle Seahawks, wasn't bored.

"We always want another look," he said. "If they had another Pro Day, we'd come to that, too. We're creatures of habit."

Campbell was the top performer on Monday. He opened the workout by running the 40-yard dash in 4.69 seconds, which is unusually fast for a quarterback.

He later threw approximately 80 passes to wideout Silas Daniels and the two tailbacks. Campbell was accurate during the 30-minute session, showing plenty of arm strength.

That power again was on display a few moments later. Campbell was asked to throw the ball downfield while keeping his feet planted.

Three passes covered 60 yards apiece.

Quarterback Jason Campbell impressed scouts with his speed and arm strength.

"I think I answered doubts about my arm strength," Campbell said. "That was my first time throwing the ball like that. If I had known we were going to do that, I could have thrown further."

More distance wasn't necessary.

Atlanta Falcons assistant coach Mike Johnson already had seen enough.

"He is a kid whose stock definitely rose today," he said. "He has a lot of physical ability and he has a lot of intangibles that you can't see on the football field. He has the abilities to justify him going in the first round."

Defensive linemen Bret Eddins and Jay Ratliff also boosted their value on Monday.

Ratliff's longest broad jump was nearly 10 feet. That leap elicited positive reaction from a crowd of approximately 50 scouts. His 4.97 time in the 40-yard dash also was notable.

Eddins, a former Trinity standout, posted a 4.79 in the 40-yard dash and a 33-inch vertical jump.

Both numbers were better than expected.

"This is the most nervous I've been in a long time," Eddins said. "These guys are here just to see your numbers. It's a lot different than in college recruiting. There, you have something to fall back on. With the pro guys, either they like you or you're finished."

The NFL draft begins on April 23. Brown and Williams are expected to go in the first round, with Campbell, Rogers and Rosegreen likely to be selected sometime after that. The other players have a chance to sign a free-agent deal after the draft.

That sounds gloomy.

It's not.

Defensive tackle Spencer Johnson went undrafted last year. He's now a starter with the Minnesota Vikings.

"If you can play the game, you can play the game. It doesn't matter when you get drafted," said Johnson, who attended Monday's workout with NFL and Auburn teammate Dontarrious Thomas. "The draft doesn't make sense sometimes. These guys are out here and they have a chance to show the NFL guys what they can do. Sometimes, heart plays a big role."

Photos by Mickey WelshAdvertiserPro football scouts crowd together to time Auburn senior players at the school's annual Pro Day on Monday. Among those working out were tailbacks Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown, who are both projected first-round picks in next month's NFL draft.

Quarterback Jason Campbell impressed scouts with his speed and arm strength

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWSV5...522prodaywj.htm

Man, I never knew Jason could throw like that!!! I hope he does go first round!

I think it would be a good idea if they had had the recruits go to the a day game and then stay for pro day. I think that would impress some recruits.

Archived