Walt Maddox

TexasTiger

I haven’t paid much attention to him (policy positions, etc.) to be honest but he gets a fair bit of coverage here in Birmingham since Tuscaloser is so close. From what I can tell he’s a sharp guy and real popular over there. He saw the area through the April 27, 2011 tornadoes. That area is a bit unique in that there are some true Democrats in the area and there are the blue-collar, union, “Southern” Democrats (if you will). I don’t know that he has a real chance in this state. Outside of the solid red standing in general, he garnered just about 10k more votes than the 2nd place Republican. Kay Ivey got more than twice the votes he did. Just based on the limited knowledge I have on him, I don’t know that I would be angry if he won. But again, I just don’t know that much about him. I’m sure I will find out much more in the coming months. 

I like him. I voted in the republican primarily because of a county chairman  race that was very important to this area and it went the wrong way. I’m disgusted. But I’ll be pushing for Maddox in November. Not happy with the AG results either. 

On 6/6/2018 at 2:08 AM, TexasTiger said:

From a distance he looks like one of the strongest Democrats Alabama has had in a number years. Thoughts on him?

He seems like a solid guy overall.  I don't think he'll get that far just because Democrats, unless a candidate self-immolates like cradle-robber Moore, just can't get people to really consider them.  And with this recent squishy answer on abortion, he's probably an non-starter in the state:

Maddox has described himself as personally against abortion, but says he is also “pro-law” and the state should not waste time passing restrictions that are destined to get struck down by the courts.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20180513/governor-candidate-walt-maddox-seeks-lottery-medicaid-expansion

The rub will be, what kind of law would he consider "destined to get struck down?"  Because to some "personally pro-life" folks, that means practically any restrictions at all.

My point isn't to debate whether you think that's fair or not, or whether you like that abortion is of high importance to the majority of Alabama voters.  It's just a simple statement of the reality of the situation.  Absent some sort of major scandal on the GOP side of a statewide race, if the Democrat isn't socially conservative they don't stand a chance.

27 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

The rub will be, what kind of law would he consider "destined to get struck down?"  Because to some "personally pro-life" folks, that means practically any restrictions at all.

That's sort of ironic considering the intent of "abortion restriction" laws is to prevent women from obtaining them, period.

48 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's sort of ironic considering the intent of "abortion restriction" laws is to prevent women from obtaining them, period.

That would be an abortion "ban."  A restriction might be something like disallowing an abortion after viability (typically 20-24 weeks) unless the mother's life is literally in danger.  Or it might require that a minor's parents be informed before an abortion could be performed on her unless there is evidence that the parents are abusive or would throw the girl out on the street.

But again, this is a side issue and not my point in bringing it up.  We're talking about Walt Maddox's (or any Democrat's) chances of winning a statewide race in Alabama.

On 6/7/2018 at 1:57 PM, TitanTiger said:

That would be an abortion "ban."  A restriction might be something like disallowing an abortion after viability (typically 20-24 weeks) unless the mother's life is literally in danger.  Or it might require that a minor's parents be informed before an abortion could be performed on her unless there is evidence that the parents are abusive or would throw the girl out on the street.

But again, this is a side issue and not my point in bringing it up.  We're talking about Walt Maddox's (or any Democrat's) chances of winning a statewide race in Alabama.

Then why don't the "pro life" crowd pick out something - like that - worth debate and then unite around it?

I am referring to nefarious technicalities that place unreasonable burdens on women - like arbitrary waiting periods and various strategies designed to put providers out of business.

You cannot tell me that virtually all abortion restrictions aren't made with the idea of making abortions unavailible, period.

I hope the SCOTUS overturns Roe v. Wade.  The sooner the better.  It's beyond time for the "pro life" crowd to deal with the reality of abortion instead of the moral concept.

21 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

You are the one who implied (correctly, IMO) abortion as a show stopper for Democrats, even "pro life" ones.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Then why don't the "pro life" crowd pick out something - like that - worth debate and then unite around it?

I am referring to nefarious technicalities that place unreasonable burdens on women - like arbitrary waiting periods and various strategies designed to put providers out of business.

You cannot tell me that virtually all abortion restrictions are made with the idea of making abortions illegal.  

I hope the SCOTUS overturns Roe v. Wade.  The sooner the better.  It's beyond time for the "pro life" crowd to deal with the reality of abortion instead of the moral concept.

I appreciate that you feel differently on abortion.  We've had that debate many times.  But that's not the relevant issue in this thread regarding Maddox's chances in November.

The AL Democratic Party needs to quit railing about the way they wish things were and deal with what reality is.  And the reality is that in Alabama, a Democrat has to be more conservative on social issues in particular to have a shot at winning statewide elections.  Now, they can stick to their guns and keep offering up quixotic, ideologically pure Dems up to be trounced in general elections, satisfied to eke out the occasional 2-year US House term when a guy like Moore self-destructs, then bitch about how Republicans are stupid on economic issues and health care and such.  Or they can adjust to the parameters of politics in this state and perhaps win some of these races more often.

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You are the one who implied (correctly, IMO) abortion as a show stopper for Democrats, even "pro life" ones.

Indeed.  And my post right above this one as to why.  I'm simply stating that this, and other social issues, are the sorts of things any Democrat running in a statewide election is going to have to be more conservative on if he or she wants a chance at winning.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I appreciate that you feel differently on abortion.  We've had that debate many times.  But that's not the relevant issue in this thread regarding Maddox's chances in November.

The AL Democratic Party needs to quit railing about the way they wish things were and deal with what reality is.  And the reality is that in Alabama, a Democrat has to be more conservative on social issues in particular to have a shot at winning statewide elections.  Now, they can stick to their guns and keep offering up quixotic, ideologically pure Dems up to be trounced in general elections, satisfied to eke out the occasional 2-year US House term when a guy like Moore self-destructs, then bitch about how Republicans are stupid on economic issues and health care and such.  Or they can adjust to the parameters of politics in this state and perhaps win some of these races more often.

Well, bottom line, I can only conclude Alabama is getting the sort of government leadership they deserve.

Of course, I can say the same thing about my home state, South Carolina.

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, bottom line, I can only conclude Alabama is getting the sort of government leadership they deserve.

Of course, I can say the same thing about my home state, South Carolina.

Yes and no.  The Democrats have a wide open opportunity here to win some statewide races and make some meaningful impacts.  But they can't do it with candidates who are largely indistinguishable on the issues from a California or northeastern Democrat.  And it isn't sufficient to, for instance, just have a standard Democrat who's only mild difference from the national party is to not be pushing for more gun control and film ads showing the candidate hunting.

It's silly to point and accuse the conservatives in the state of being single issue voters or social issue voters (and thus getting the government they deserve) when the ADP is proving to be every bit as social issue-driven as the other side is.  So much so that they'll cut off their nose to spite their face on it.  They'd rather lose 99% of the time than compromise on any part of that.  They are in essence, getting the election results they deserve.

And I'd say the same thing about a Republican running in a Democrat-dominated state like California or New York.  You might win some state legislature races, a US House race from a rural district or something like that.  But you aren't going to win the governor or US Senate race being the same kind of Republican as one you'd find in Alabama or South Carolina.

Maddo

On 6/6/2018 at 2:08 AM, TexasTiger said:

From a distance he looks like one of the strongest Democrats Alabama has had in a number years. Thoughts on him?

I agree with you. Maddox carries himself VERY well. He is young and enthusiastic and smart. I don't think he has a chance against Ivey THIS year unless Ivey continues to do stupid things like talk about mountain oysters and Confederate monuments. He certainly could make some noise in the future.

Seems to me that the biggest handicap that moderate southern dems have is trying not to be connected to NancyP. and Chuck S.  who are no help to them.  No matter what the candidate says when running .....he or she is going to have take instructions from the power structure...

On 6/13/2018 at 9:41 PM, AU64 said:

Seems to me that the biggest handicap that moderate southern dems have is trying not to be connected to NancyP. and Chuck S.  who are no help to them.  No matter what the candidate says when running .....he or she is going to have take instructions from the power structure...

Doug Jones addressed it fairly well in the general. While also running against an idiot who refused to debate as he knew he would have been anihilated by an opponent with a working brain. These current day suthen republicans just skip the ass kicking. Or actually concede it a loss. Instead just depend on the brain dead constituents to punch their ticket based on them being latched on to trump’s nutsack like a tick. 

On 6/13/2018 at 9:41 PM, AU64 said:

That's where coming out and establishing your own positions on things that matter to Alabama voters come in.  As long as you tap dance around social issues and give milquetoast answers, people will (rightly) assume that your positions on those things are basically indistinguishable from the national party.

Archived