Obama criticizes left-wing 'shutdown culture'

TitanTiger

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

So you don't think 1) Obama intended for his speech to be temporally relevant to the current political climate or, do you 2)  reject the idea that Trump is shaping the current political climate?

(btw, that quote in my post came from the OP article.)

And to clarify, I am certainly agreeable to the proposition that Obama was including unreasonable leftists in his general comments. 

My point is that his greater point was to the unreasonableness of the current political climate, not that he was singling out unreasonable left wingers as the topic title suggested and DKW bought into totally (as evidenced by his first post).

You’ve missed the point. I’m not the only one who can see that. 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:17 PM, homersapien said:

So you don't think 1) Obama intended for his speech to be temporally relevant to the current political climate or, do you 2)  reject the idea that Trump is shaping the current political climate?

(btw, that quote in my post came from the OP article.)

And to clarify, I am certainly agreeable to the proposition that Obama was including unreasonable leftists in his general comments. 

My point is that his greater point was to the unreasonableness of the current political climate, not that he was singling out unreasonable left wingers as the topic title suggested and DKW bought into totally (as evidenced by his first post).

1) Obama intended for his speech to be temporally relevant to the current political climate.

That was for sure not the authors opinion,but one of the awesome things about great speakers (and Obama is amazing at it) is tackling multiple layers of a problem in a short and concise way. Colleges have problems with leftists shutting down all opposing idea because colleges are filled with leftists. Conservatives do the same in other venues. Obama was certainly not JUST chastising the liberals who refuse to see any other side of things

reject the idea that Trump is shaping the current political climate?

You give him way too much credit homie, he isn't shaping political climate, he is a product of our current political climate. He is a spoiled tub of lard that congealed in the correct fashion to appeal to the new large base of rabid, angry, and uninformed voters.

27 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

1) Obama intended for his speech to be temporally relevant to the current political climate.

That was for sure not the authors opinion,but one of the awesome things about great speakers (and Obama is amazing at it) is tackling multiple layers of a problem in a short and concise way. Colleges have problems with leftists shutting down all opposing idea because colleges are filled with leftists. Conservatives do the same in other venues. Obama was certainly not JUST chastising the liberals who refuse to see any other side of things

reject the idea that Trump is shaping the current political climate?

You give him way too much credit homie, he isn't shaping political climate, he is a product of our current political climate. He is a spoiled tub of lard that congealed in the correct fashion to appeal to the new large base of rabid, angry, and uninformed voters.

I agree.  That's the point I was trying to make actually.

Regarding Trump shaping vs. being a product of the current political climate, it's hard for me not to see him as shaping the current political climate, starting with the primaries.  He has established new limits to what is apparently acceptable in sexism,  mean-spirited rhetoric, scarcely veiled racism and blatant, consistent lying. 

The big question is whether or not we revert back to the norm before Trump, which might have been bad, but nothing as bad as it is now.

Archived