Obama criticizes left-wing 'shutdown culture'

TitanTiger

Former President Obama Criticizes Leftist Shutdown Culture

You can't make the world a better place, he says, if you silence "those who aren't like you because they are white or they are male."

But Obama also made remarks that can only be seen as a condemnation of intolerant leftists who shut down speakers on college campuses because they find their views offensive. Here's what the former president had to say(emphasis mine):

Democracy demands that we're able also to get inside the reality of people who are different than us so we can understand their point of view. Maybe we can change their minds, maybe they'll change ours. You can't do this if you just out of hand disregard what your opponent has to say from the start. And you can't do it if you insist that those who aren't like you because they are white or they are male, somehow there is no way they can understand what I'm feeling, that somehow they lack standing to speak on certain matters.

This a direct rebuke of the notion that only people who are oppressed for some reason—because of their race, gender, sexuality, disability status, size, etc.—should be allowed to speak on issues relating to said difficulties.

It's not surprising that Obama would say this. The 44th president has consistently touted norms of speech consistent with Enlightenment liberalism. In his 2016 commencement address at Rutgers University, he implored students to engage speakers with whom they disagree, not to shut them down.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/17/obama-nelson-mandela-lecture

Spot on. Lately it’s as if they’ve had a complete inability to even consider the notion of cross-pollinating ideas, or simply just listening to those who disagree. It’s their way or the highway.

The only reason those that want to shout everyone down wont reply to this is that they believe that disagreeing with Obama would make them look racist.

THIS IS THE ONLY REASON...

Well, that's a straw man.

But compare Obama to Zuckerberg's defense of Holocaust deniers today. 

I'm a huge supporter of free speech. But someone needs to do better than Mr. Facebook to defend it. 

21 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Spot on. Lately it’s as if they’ve had a complete inability to even consider the notion of cross-pollinating ideas, or simply just listening to those who disagree. It’s their way or the highway.

Obama is spot on, but I would argue that your comment rolls both ways.  The House Freedom Caucus and followers is a great example.  Any compromise bill gets completely shut down by that group, even if the compromise is within their own party.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Obama is spot on, but I would argue that your comment rolls both ways.  The House Freeefrom Caucus and followers is a great example.  Any compromise bill gets completely shut down by that group, even if the compromise is within their own party.

It certainly rolls both ways. Just trying to stay within the bounds of the OP. Lol

17 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

The only reason those that want to shout everyone down wont reply to this is that they believe that disagreeing with Obama would make them look racist.

THIS IS THE ONLY REASON...

WTF is that supposed to mean?

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

Obama was correct. He promotes civil discourse. 

Trump, on the other hand,  fires up hatred and resentment as a political tool.

So all those people screaming Russians!, Not my President!, Resistance! They dont agree with Obama...

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

:dunno:

<smgdh> homey. you are nothing if not consistent as hell...

52 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

“But Trump.” @Proud Tiger do you see this?

Nah I don't see his posts unless someone quotes him Totally waste of time.  But glad so see he still reads mine and as as the song says "always on  my mind." But as you know I enjoy seeing you eat his lunch although not sure why you waste your time.?

In short, Obama is dead on on his point. We have gotten so hyper-partisan that we do not listen to the other side at all anymore. I call this the Hannitization of America. Limbaugh and Hannity have done their jobs oh so well. The very people that should be agreeing with Obama cant because:

1) They are also so sold on the hyper-partisanship that they are mere Talking Points Hacks here on the forum. They mindlessly regurgitate talking points they DO NOT understand and intellectually disagree with.

2) They cannot openly disagree with Obama because they fear being labeled Racists by members of the Politically Correct Lynchmob.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:48 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

“But Trump.” @Proud Tiger do you see this?

The OP was about a speech Obama made.  He was obviously referring to the current political climate which is being shaped by Trump.

" many will see Obama's remarks as a thinly veiled criticism of his successor. "

9 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

In short, Obama is dead on on his point. We have gotten so hyper-partisan that we do not listen to the other side at all anymore. I call this the Hannitization of America. Limbaugh and Hannity have done their jobs oh so well. The very people that should be agreeing with Obama cant because:

1) They are also so sold on the hyper-partisanship that they are mere Talking Points Hacks here on the forum. They mindlessly regurgitate talking points they DO NOT understand and intellectually disagree with.

2) They cannot openly disagree with Obama because they fear being labeled Racists by members of the Politically Correct Lynchmob.

Has anyone on this thread disagreed with what Obama said?  :dunno:

Who are you talking about?

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

The OP was about a speech Obama made.  He was obviously referring to the current political climate which is being shaped by Trump.

" many will see Obama's remarks as a thinly veiled criticism of his successor. "

Wrong

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

Image result for point going over your head gif<smdh>

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

Has anyone on this thread disagreed with what Obama said?  :dunno:

Who are you talking about?

Image result for point going over your head gif

8 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Image result for point going over your head gif

First, wrong forum.  That's not really a response.

I asked two specific questions:

1) Who on this forum is screaming "the Russians....?

2) Outside of that, who are you talking about?  (You can answer this one in principle if you must.)

17 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Wrong

So you don't think 1) Obama intended for his speech to be temporally relevant to the current political climate or, do you 2)  reject the idea that Trump is shaping the current political climate?

(btw, that quote in my post came from the OP article.)

And to clarify, I am certainly agreeable to the proposition that Obama was including unreasonable leftists in his general comments. 

My point is that his greater point was to the unreasonableness of the current political climate, not that he was singling out unreasonable left wingers as the topic title suggested and DKW bought into totally (as evidenced by his first post).

AAANNDD now we are back to normal...

Obama was indeed addressing Left Wing Whackadoodles too. From Titan's quote:

But Obama also made remarks that can only be seen as a condemnation of intolerant leftists who shut down speakers on college campuses because they find their views offensive. Here's what the former president had to say (emphasis mine):

Democracy demands that we're able also to get inside the reality of people who are different than us so we can understand their point of view. Maybe we can change their minds, maybe they'll change ours. You can't do this if you just out of hand disregard what your opponent has to say from the start. And you can't do it if you insist that those who aren't like you because they are white or they are male, somehow there is no way they can understand what I'm feeling, that somehow they lack standing to speak on certain matters.

This a direct rebuke of the notion that only people who are oppressed for some reason—because of their race, gender, sexuality, disability status, size, etc.—should be allowed to speak on issues relating to said difficulties.

It's not surprising that Obama would say this. The 44th president has consistently touted norms of speech consistent with Enlightenment liberalism. In his 2016 commencement address at Rutgers University, he implored students to engage speakers with whom they disagree, not to shut them down.

tenor.gif

Regardless of the commentor's opinion, I think Obama's words could have been in principle rather than directed. 

But since you are so passionate about it,  I'll let you have the last word on his intent. :rolleyes:

Archived