Death to the BCS!

Jenny AU-92

Our schools suck, our highways are contantly under meaningless construction, our governor is a brainless, spineless hairsprayed himbo, and what does the wonderful bi-annual session of the Texas Legislature take under consideration??? Not only that, but they try to drag other states into the mix... :blink::rolleyes:

Link to Story

Bills take aim at football's BCS

State's schools couldn't play in bowls not part of a championship playoff system

AUSTIN - If college football officials won't do anything to clean up the mess that many critics say is the Bowl Championship Series, the Texas Legislature just might step in.

Under bills filed by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, and Rep. Corbin Van Arsdale, R-Tomball, college football teams in Texas would be banned from playing in post-season championship games that are not part of a national playoff system.

But the bills would expire before BCS bids go out in early December if four of a dozen states mentioned in the proposals don't adopt similar legislation.

"The problems (with the BCS) have been existing for some years now," said Wentworth, a graduate of Texas A&M University. "People can't figure out the formula, there are always disputes and arguments over how people got picked and who really is the national champion."

The Senate gave Wentworth special permission to file the bill Tuesday, since the deadline for filing legislation passed two weeks ago. Arsdale's bill was filed before the deadline.

Established in the late 1990s, the BCS has been open to much debate from coaches and fans about its often-changing formula. Last season's complaints culminated with the Associated Press deciding to pull its poll from the upcoming season's formula.

Critics of the BCS advocate a system, similar to the one the bills lay out. In both proposals, the playoff system must include at least 16 teams that compete in successive elimination games that ends with a national championship game.

If passed, the legislation would take effect before the upcoming season but could expire on Dec. 2, if at least four other states mentioned haven't adopted similar legislation.

Of the states mentioned — Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina and Washington — Wentworth said California is the only one with similar legislation pending, but he expects the others to debate the issue.

BCS Commissioner Kevin Weiberg said in a letter to a Texas lawmaker that adopting the legislation would not be in the best interest of the state's three Big 12 institutions — Texas A&M, Texas Tech University and the University of Texas — and could hurt the five bowl games played in this state.

Weiberg wrote to Rep. Geanie Morrison, R-Victoria, who chairs the higher education committee where the House bill is pending, saying that participating in the BCS system has a positive financial impact on athletic departments at Texas public universities.

Wentworth said former Texas football coach Darrell Royal admitted that he didn't understand the BCS formula.

"If it is beyond him, it's certainly beyond the rest of us," he said.

Guest Tigrinum Major

It appears that the Texas State Legislature could give Alabama's a run for their money in the useless law category.

BCS Commissioner Kevin Weiberg said in a letter to a Texas lawmaker that adopting the legislation would not be in the best interest of the state's three Big 12 institutions — Texas A&M, Texas Tech University and the University of Texas — and could hurt the five bowl games played in this state.

Weiberg forgot the great institution of Baylor!

Seriously though, none of the previous 4 teams have a chance in hell of making a national championship under the BCS system anyway, so the legislation is moot.

I LOVe the way they give themselves an out at the last minute - if none of the other states join in, the law EXPIRES JUST prior to the BCS invitations being handed out, so any eligible TX teams won't get stuck.

All the whining and crying Mack Brown did last year... :rolleyes:

Weiberg forgot the great institution of Baylor!

Seriously though, none of the previous 4 teams have a chance in hell of making a national championship under the BCS system anyway, so the legislation is moot.

154205[/snapback]

The legislation would ban teams from playing in any of the BCS games. Not just the title game.

The winner of the Big 12 comes out of Texas very often, and this would stop them from playing in the bowl their champion goes to. (Orange I believe.)

What DOES make this bill moot is the fact that it does not take affect unless 4 other states also do it. There is no way that many states would cost their respective schools the payouts from BCS games. If Alabama, Georgia, California, and Florida all pass it, there would be very few BCS teams anyways, and that would be the end of the system.

But it's not going to happen.

Link to Story

Of the states mentioned — Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina and Washington — Wentworth said California is the only one with similar legislation pending, but he expects the others to debate the issue.

154195[/snapback]

Seem to be some significant football states missing from his list: Louisiana, Ohio, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, to name a few. Does that mean he doesn't care about them or simply indicate that their legislators have better things to do with their time?

Oh well--good to know Alabama's politicians aren't the only idiots in the world. <_<

I'm surprised the federalis haven't gotten involved some how. They're the biggest idiots in the world of politics!

:moon:

:au::homer:

Guest Tigrinum Major
I'm surprised the federalis haven't gotten involved some how. They're the biggest idiots in the world of politics!

154219[/snapback]

They did, several years ago, when the little conferences complained loud enough. That is how the rules were changed that allowed Utah and almost Boise to get the big bucks this past year.

Our schools suck, our highways are contantly under meaningless construction, our governor is a brainless, spineless hairsprayed himbo, and what does the wonderful bi-annual session of the Texas Legislature take under consideration???  Not only that, but they try to drag other states into the mix...  :blink:   :rolleyes:

I have lived in Texas my whole life, and would have to disagree wholeheartedly with your statements.. Texas has a really good educational system.. I had a great educational experience. While there are schools that have their problems, I think Texas as far as education is concerned is a great place to live. Our highways to speak of are noted as the best in the country. No lie. So if there wants to be construction then let it be.. As far as governor goes, no governor will be as great as W was.. Just my opinion though.

Link to Story

154195[/snapback]

Seem to be some significant football states missing from his list: Louisiana, Ohio, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, to name a few. Does that mean he doesn't care about them or simply indicate that their legislators have better things to do with their time?

Oh well--good to know Alabama's politicians aren't the only idiots in the world. <_<

154213[/snapback]

I think they chose states that have more than one BCS eligible state school - Auburn and bammer, FL and FSU, UCLA, USC, and Cal, NC and UNC, SC and Clemson, GA and GaTech... and so on. Lousiana, Ohio, Nebraska, and Tennessee only have the one state univ., and Virginia Tech is the only legit rep from VA.

It's still stupid.

I am sure the schools wouldn't mind being left out for the insane millions of dollars that the BCS gives to their conference thus them.

How does Mack Brown juggle it all? He is the Texas head coach, lawmaker in Austin for the state government, lead whiner for Longhorn BCS bowl hopes, coaches national recruiting champion year in and year out, and finds ways to lose to Oklahoma and not win the Big 12 or a national championship. Wow he is a trooper.

How does Mack Brown juggle it all? He is the Texas head coach, lawmaker in Austin for the state government, lead whiner for Longhorn BCS bowl hopes, coaches national recruiting champion year in and year out, and finds ways to lose to Oklahoma and not win the Big 12 or a national championship. Wow he is a trooper.

154401[/snapback]

All that, and he was my write-in for President in the 2004 elections as well !@!@ ;)

All that, and he was my write-in for President in the 2004 elections as well !@!@ ;)

154414[/snapback]

you-not-funny.jpg

154442[/snapback]

Southlink isn't taking any prisoners today is he.

Archived