Official New Hires Thread

Potatooooooes!!

14 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

I agree with you Mate.  Good observation.  But there is a culture in and around that Program that would make most shy away.

The rest of the country does not see Auburn in the same light as we do, and there are real reasons for that.  There are more within the coaching fraternities...

I believe that the Auburn Administration and the Donors have set this program up to fail in every way imaginable.  Just because a program has and makes money, doesn't mean it doesn't have rot at it's core.

Sorry from the double negative, but I am a product of the State of Alabama Educational System...;)

The culture of an organization is a difficult thing to change.  It takes total buy in to that goal, I’m not talking “yes” men buy in, but hard work to achieve the change.  It takes small steps, but it has to start somewhere.

I see Auburn at a crossroads in recent years. With Allen Greene going to bat for Bruce Pearl and the success the Basketball program is having this culture can be turned around.  The decision that will have to be made with the football coach will also signal a change is culture if the right coach can be found.  You have seen many posters on this board having no faith in the hiring process that Auburn has done in the past (and for good reason), but we have a new AD and it’s a new day.  I’m hoping JABA is going the way Clemsoning has gone.  It can be done, the righ hire is essential. Success begets success. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Six said:

But what's it based on? You can argue every team gets the benefit of or gets shaded by the referees? And every program does $100 handshakes and such for recruits. Even MTSU and UTSA do that stuff. It's not like they are harboring murderers down there. (Unlike what ever Urban Meyer was doing in Florida.)

https://legalschnauzer.blogspot.com/2013/04/new-report-reveals-that-alabama-coach.html?m=1

Google "USA today emmert sabab relationship".  There is a ton of info on I.

3 hours ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

@bigbird and others who want to weigh in: 

Just why would a proven coach want to come to Auburn?  Don't lay down your fanboy thoughts, think of it from the Employer's and the Employee's point of view.  And not just $$$$.  

I really look forward to reading your replies

The "proven winning coaches" aren't coming.  Saban, Urban, Dabo, Smart, Jimbo, Riley, Gundy, Leach, Shaw, Franklin, and Harbough are at their preferred retirement jobs.  There is nothing to entice any of them. Money won't trump what they all have or are building at their respective schools. That said, a lower tier HC or good coordinator could be.  We offer great pay, we play in the most difficult division of the best conference... So they get to try and test themselves against the best, we are in the middle of some of the most elite recruiting areas, we are a top 10 historical program, we perennially have two or three of the best and biggest games of the year that routinely impacts the landscape of the college football season, and if successful, it's a long term job with loyal and passionate fans.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Hire Petrino as offensive coordinator

He would be fired by Gus for insubordination before the season started. 

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Probably but we need somebody who will come in and say **** you I'm not throwing 21 screen passes in one game

1 hour ago, cole256 said:
1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Probably but we need somebody who will come in and say **** you I'm not throwing 21 screen passes in one game

You're both right.

58 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

This "news" thread is up to page 3 without any news....just a benchmark reminder...carry on.

Probably won't be news until, at minimum, after the bammer game.

Besides, nobody here are journalists....we're just the Editorial Comment Dept.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

You know, I wanted BP when both Chizik and Gus were hired, but wouldn't want him as HC now.

OC? Hmmmmm....

5 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You know, I wanted BP when both Chizik and Gus were hired, but wouldn't want him as HC now.

OC? Hmmmmm....

I'd rather have Hugh Freeze or Art Briles if we are going to hire someone with baggage. 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'd rather have Hugh Freeze or Art Briles if we are going to hire someone with baggage. 

Me, too...but he's another possibility that intrigues me...as OC.  I remember the piece-meal offense he put together in 2000 and beat bammer in T-town.

all the great OCs have baggage...they're like the Freddie Mercury of the sports world.  "Respect my creative process" prima donnas that like to party wildly.

14 hours ago, Zeek said:

Bill Clark, Neal Brown, Josh Huepel, and  Scott Satterfield are your cheap options.  They’re all relatively young and relatively successful. Seem like good guys and categorically have a little more “fire” in their belly as well as charisma. I don’t see Huepel happening though and I’ll look at contracts to see if any of them are running up on their contract.

Like OP said I don’t want to turn this into a wishlist so I’ll look at the actual rumors and probability. 

My thoughts exactly. My short list is Bill Clark, John Grass, Scott Satterfield, and Neal Brown.

That said, if Gus stays, we have to think of what assistant coaches should be replaced, and who we can get to replace them.

It comes down to top assistants from second tier schools, who are willing to potentially do a "one and done" at a Power 5 program with a coach on the hot seat,  vagabond type coaches who have no problem at the prospect of a one year gig, or a "rehabilitation" prospect, like Huge Freeze or Kendal Briles.

41 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

all the great OCs have baggage...they're like the Freddie Mercury of the sports world.  "Respect my creative process" prima donnas that like to party wildly.

Further evidence that Gus isn't a great OC. 

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Me, too...but he's another possibility that intrigues me...as OC.  I remember the piece-meal offense he put together in 2000 and beat bammer in T-town.

At face value, I agree.  Petrino's probably one of those coaches that has a ceiling of OC (sorta like a certain AU HC).  Unfortunately, #1 he wants to be a HC and #2 I'm not convinced he wouldn't be the conniving kind to sandbag the HC so he can take over. 

That's, admittedly, just a petty thought on my part after how HE himself handled Jetgate too.  If I were a HC, I wouldn't trust him.

5 hours ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

@bigbird and others who want to weigh in: 

Just why would a proven coach want to come to Auburn?  Don't lay down your fanboy thoughts, think of it from the Employer's and the Employee's point of view.  And not just $$$$.  

I really look forward to reading your replies

Here is why:

There are a limited number of marquee SEC head coaching jobs. Think schools that have won SEC championships, been in the CFB or to the BCS Championship before that, etc.

Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn. That is it.

Bama has Saban. Saban will not be there forever. But replacing Saban is replacing a legend.

Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee have recent big-name hires, so it will be several years before any of those open up again.

LSU is having success with Orgeron, but LSU is fickle. If it becomes available, it will be a desirable job.

The same goes for Auburn. The only downside to Auburn is you have to play both Bama and UGA every year. And there is the very real prospect that if you are able to do well, you have to play Georgia twice. But at some point Saban retires, and Bama will never be the same. And it is possible at some point Tennessee and Florida will challenge UGA's current dominance of the SEC East.

So Auburn is a preferable job for the same reason Tennessee is. One can argue LSU, Florida, and UGA have certain recruiting advantages, but I believe Auburn is more visible than LSU right now, in part because it shares the same state as Bama, but also because of the fact it plays Bama and UGA every year. The trade off of having to play these two teams each year is both a challenge and an upside. Look at the television dominance of the SEC this year compared to the Big 12 or Pac 12.

How many marquee coaching jobs are in the ACC? Three? How about the Big 12? Maybe four? Only the Big 10 has as many top jobs as the SEC.

As for those who point out the politics and drama of the PTB, every big sports school has their own politics and drama.

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I think BP was in the NFL at Jacksonville during that season. Mazzone was OC in 2000. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I think BP was in the NFL at Jacksonville during that season. Mazzone was OC in 2000. 

It was 2002...my bad. The Robert Johnson Game...17-7.

14 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

It was 2002...my bad. The Robert Johnson Game...17-7.

Ah I loved that game. Those were good times. Back when you didn't have to have a gd perfect squad with no injuries that made no mistakes to beat Bama. 

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ah I loved that game. Those were good times. Back when you didn't have to have a gd perfect squad with no injuries that made no mistakes to beat Bama. 

Yes the pre Saban era.   Good times indeed

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Kingsbury just got the axe as well as Fedora.....any takers for Kingsbury as OC/QB Coach....he has developed a few good ones....

If one doesn't want Leach as HC, then one wouldn't want Kingsbury as OC.  Same Offense.  They couldn't even beat Ole Miss and Washington exposed Leach.

35 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If one doesn't want Leach as HC, then one wouldn't want Kingsbury as OC.  Same Offense.  They couldn't even beat Ole Miss and Washington exposed Leach.

True, as far as the TT loss to Ole Miss how much of that was a lack of defense? Legit asking I didn’t watch the game. Personally I would rather have  kingsbury than freeze. JMO though 

8 minutes ago, Grimnir said:

True, as far as the TT loss to Ole Miss how much of that was a lack of defense? Legit asking I didn’t watch the game. Personally I would rather have  kingsbury than freeze. JMO though 

I did see a fair amount of the game.  TT only scored 27 points on what was probably the worst defense in the SEC (well, until Auburn decided to rival them in badness the 2nd half of the year).

Ole Miss was never in any danger in that game IIRC.

As for King vs Freeze.... I don't think Gus will let anybody do their job with out his major interference so it really ain't gonna matter until there is a new HC.

Archived