UGA QB Justin Fields Transfers to Ohio St. (Threads Merged)

GwillMac6

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to just put this right here...

Normally, a transferring freshman like Fields would have to sit a season before regaining eligibility. But Fields will appeal that mandate, a process that could ultimately fracture an already damaged system. Fields had several racial slurs thrown in his direction by a former Georgia player during an October home game. That could serve as the basis of Fields’ appeal.

There is an exception in the NCAA’s transfer policy that would allow a student to transfer and receive immediate eligibility if he feared for his own safety due to “mitigating circumstances.”

Getting a waiver on that basis is a real stretch....but guess you never know.

But he was not playing at uga, was not coming to AU so far as I'm concerned tOSU is a good place for him since we are not likely to play against him if he lives up to his HS hype. 

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Getting a waiver on that basis is a real stretch....but guess you never know.

But he was not playing at uga, was not coming to AU so far as I'm concerned tOSU is a good place for him since we are not likely to play against him if he lives up to his HS hype. 

imo he will get the waiver no problem "an exception in the NCAA’s transfer policy that would allow a student to transfer and receive immediate eligibility if he feared for his own safety due to “mitigating circumstances.”

I can promise you the NCAA wants no part of turning down his transfer the PR nightmare for them especially during the offseason whould be horrible to deal with. Lawyers lawyers and more lawyers involved etc etc

According to a statement released on Monday, Georgia officials expressed concern over a weekend incident involving a member of the Bulldogs baseball team at the Georgia-Tennessee football game.

Per the report, 1B Adam Sasser, who was a second-team All-SEC player in 2018, used racially derogatory comments toward QB Justin Fields.

A Facebook post created after the game has surfaced that details alleged statements Sasser made on Saturday, and was shared to the “Overheard at UGA” page.

Here’s what the post said:

42803583_2399403746753245_41136502350775

According to UGASports.com, Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity released this statement on the ongoing situation:

“We are aware of a reported incident this weekend involving conduct by one of our student-athletes. While we are limited in what we can say about the incident at this time, I want to reemphasize that we do not condone discriminatory behavior. The University’s Equal Opportunity Office thoroughly reviews all reported violations of our Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy to ensure an appropriate response.”

Sounds like the guy was drunk or something....hard to believe anyone is actually that stupid when sober.   Threat to his safety?    probably not IMO but Fields does not need to put up with stuff like that...nor other players either.  

21 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

If it was an issue why wouldn't Fields have left months ago?  And oh by the way, Sasser has been gone for months.  I'm thinking Josh Moon is on the loose again....

True...but when you want to get out of town,  I guess you take any train you can get on.     

But as golf noted,  NCAA is PC enough they will not take a chance of some bad PR and transfer rules are fluid now anyway …..so why not just let the kid go and avoid a flap?    Only schools likely to have an opinion are the Big 10 guys and many of them have problems of their own to worry about. 

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True...but when you want to get out of town,  I guess you take any train you can get on.     

But as golf noted,  NCAA is PC enough they will not take a chance of some bad PR and transfer rules are fluid now anyway …..so why not just let the kid go and avoid a flap?    Only schools likely to have an opinion are the Big 10 guys and many of them have problems of their own to worry about. 

If you don’t mind everyone coming up and piling on. They would be setting a precedent. Not down playing the significance of what happened but it’s over now. No threat even if there ever was one. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

If you don’t mind everyone coming up and piling on. They would be setting a precedent. Not down playing the significance of what happened but it’s over now. No threat even if there ever was one. 

Agree but they've been pretty "understanding" on transfers lately...Heron for example and Patterson to Michigan come to mind.   And JMO,  no reason for NCAA or uga to hold the guy hostage.   I'm favorable toward easier transfers so this does not bother me....:dunno:  but I do think it is a flimsy excuse. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree but they've been pretty "understanding" on transfers lately...Heron for example and Patterson to Michigan come to mind.   And JMO,  no reason for NCAA or uga to hold the guy hostage.   I'm favorable toward easier transfers so this does not bother me....:dunno:  but I do think it is a flimsy excuse. 

The same lawyer that got Patterson off the hook is representing Fields. NCAA would get murdered if they didn’t capitulate to the waiver. I don’t like tbe excuse myself. As a matter of fact, I doubt he even heard it.

I’m pretty sure an athlete could find a random act of racism at any school out there if they really wanted out of there with immediate eligibility intact. I see that Fields sister is still committed to UGA. Her safety? Racism is serious business. Fields’ safety and well being is serious business.  Seeking the waiver merely as an out is not cool if that’s what’s going on....and that’s how it appears.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I wonder how Tate Martell feels about all of this. 5* recruit dominoes effect?

Yes. He should be able to transfer with no wait too. 

• ellitor changed the title to UGA QB Justin Fields Transfers to Ohio St. (Updated 1/4/19)

So uga has had 4 Jrs jump to the pros, plus Fields and another freshman T.E. transfer out. ( That's 2. T.E.s they won't have who were counted on being there ) 

Hell of a class coming in , but does such a drop in talent + experience affect them all that much ? They think they're bama, but until they claim a title, they're not. 

13 hours ago, alexava said:

Yes. He should be able to transfer with no wait too. 

Next 'justification" for transfer is being lied to.. …"coach said I would be starting this year and they looked for great things from me.....and now they brought in some guy who is better than me.  😕   So I wanna go somewhere else.... "

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Next 'justification" for transfer is being lied to.. …"coach said I would be starting this year and they looked for great things from me.....and now they brought in some guy who is better than me.  😕   So I wanna go somewhere else.... "

I don’t think this is a good idea either. 

16 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t think this is a good idea either. 

Nope but I think we are gradually headed that way...partly as a reaction to other pressures on NCAA ...for example....paying athletes which is a major issue in the sports media.  Many talking heads on sport talk radio and TV are actively pushing the issue based on the "income" of the NCAA...without much discussion or analysis or what a scholarship is worth or where all that NCAA money ends up which is mostly back to member schools for scholarships, etc. .    

So anything that seems to give the athletes more power over their lives is gonna be looked at favorably ….as a way of making the NCAA look good. ..or not look bad or insensitive.  JMO .  

This is just Tom Mars being Tom Mars. Nothing more. He was the one who completely made crap up to support Patterson's initial waiver application. Ole Miss appropriately opposed the waiver based on that application (which was chock full of BS claiming Patterson and his family were deceived during their recruitment). Michigan withdrew the application and put in another straightforward application based on the unexpected severity of the NCAA penalties. That was not opposed by OM, and it was granted.

At some point, the NCAA is going to have to deny a bogus waiver application, even at the risk of a day of bad publicity, or they'll have to do away with the "one year in residence" rule. If they grant this application, it's effectively become a "one year in residence if you cannot afford to hire an attorney and/or garner media attention to your transfer" rule. Nothing against Fields. He's acting in his own self-interest. I'm no fan of Mars, but he's been effective. It's up to the NCAA to do away with the rule or enforce it.

It'll be interesting to see if Martell can hold Fields off. What does Fields do if Martell wins the job or if he has to sit a year while Martell takes hold of the position?

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

This is just Tom Mars being Tom Mars. Nothing more. He was the one who completely made crap up to support Patterson's initial waiver application. Ole Miss appropriately opposed the waiver based on that application (which was chock full of BS claiming Patterson and his family were deceived during their recruitment). Michigan withdrew the application and put in another straightforward application based on the unexpected severity of the NCAA penalties. That was not opposed by OM, and it was granted.

At some point, the NCAA is going to have to deny a bogus waiver application, even at the risk of a day of bad publicity, or they'll have to do away with the "one year in residence" rule. If they grant this application, it's effectively become a "one year in residence if you cannot afford to hire an attorney and/or garner media attention to your transfer" rule. Nothing against Fields. He's acting in his own self-interest. I'm no fan of Mars, but he's been effective. It's up to the NCAA to do away with the rule or enforce it.

It'll be interesting to see if Martell can hold Fields off. What does Fields do if Martell wins the job or if he has to sit a year while Martell takes hold of the position?

If you are saying what I think you are,we agree. They will have to drop the appeal/ waiver process altogether and make all undergrads sit no matter what.

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Nailed it.

If they're as gutless as I think they are, my expectation is that the NCAA will completely tuck tail and run from this.

21 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Nailed it.

If they're as gutless as I think they are, my expectation is that the NCAA will completely tuck tail and run from this.

The NCAA is a politically correct bureaucracy.....and it is not about tucking tail IMO , but rather about enough justification (of sorts) to do what most school administrators are willing to do.  

Some coaches may not be happy but even there, probably only a couple dozen schools out of 300+ NCAA member schools are likely to ever be negatively affected by some form of free agency. 

JMO but with Patterson, Heron and some others, the ship has sailed on this issue.   Might be some posturing by the NCAA but I see the policy changing gradually. 

Sports radio (just heard Mike Huguenin say it was 99% likely) are talking like it’s a given that Fields will be cleared to play next year. I find this unbelievable. Guess if you can get Mars, you up your chances. Geez

Well apparently the lawyer said it's more to the story than the one baseball incident,who knows..

Archived