Men vs. Kentucky game thread

WarTiger

Tweet by Justin Ferguson: Auburn HC Bruce Pearl: "Kentucky is bigger than us at every position and more physical than us at every position. The way they could really beat us is how they beat us."

Definitely not knocking Pearl, as he’s the best thing to happen to Auburn basketball in two decades without question, but I’ve noticed lots of teams in the league are more physical than us in year 5.  Someone more basketball savvy will have to tell me, but will thisnalways be a thing?  Will Pearl teams always rely on guard play and be deficient underneath with size? I don’t remember a lot of his Tennessee years, but certainly he’s coached several good bigs?

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's what I'm saying. We usually get alot more points from offensive rebounding and stuff. We missed him today

Yeah, imo this is one of our biggest weaknesses. When the 3s, or just sh**s in general aren't falling, we aren't getting enough put back opportunities. Great example is Harpers final shot. Barely missed but noone there to crash the boards. I think a lot of it has to do with the style of offense we play. Bruce really needs to find some way to address this issue imo. 

2 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Tweet by Justin Ferguson: Auburn HC Bruce Pearl: "Kentucky is bigger than us at every position and more physical than us at every position. The way they could really beat us is how they beat us."

Definitely not knocking Pearl, as he’s the best thing to happen to Auburn basketball in two decades without question, but I’ve noticed lots of teams in the league are more physical than us in year 5.  Someone more basketball savvy will have to tell me, but will thisnalways be a thing?  Will Pearl teams always rely on guard play and be deficient underneath with size? I don’t remember a lot of his Tennessee years, but certainly he’s coached several good bigs?

This is funny, this is what I brought up as far as why I think we should start Dunbar instead of samir.....

5 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

His UT teams were the more physical team and always set the tone. He had some guys with a lot of dog in them. Tyler Smith, Wayne Chism, JP Prince etc. To steal a line from the memphis grizzlies they were all grit n grind. Those dudes were grown ass men.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

This is funny, this is what I brought up as far as why I think we should start Dunbar instead of samir.....

Yea, I haven't really seen how Doughty fits in with this team yet.  

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

His UT teams were the more physical teams. He had some guys with a lot of dog in them. Tyler Smith, Wayne Chism, JP Prince etc. To steal a line from the memphis grizzlies they were all grit n grind.

Is there an effort to construct future Auburn teams like this?  

4 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Yea, I haven't really seen how Doughty fits in with this team yet.  

It is becoming a bad trend with him. He does not show up for the big games. I dunno in these marquee games we have had so far if he has had a good game yet. He looks good vs overmatched competition.

4 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Is there an effort to construct future Auburn teams like this?  

I do not think Bruce all of sudden has a different philosophy. He has always had really good offensive teams but the sport itself is just more offensive centric these days.

I think The 5 coming in next year will be bigger at every position other than the 5.  If Wiley and DP actually come back, we’d have a very big and athletic team.

If Dunbar played 2, DP 3, Chuma 4 and Wiley 5 - that would be a physical team with solid size.  Won’t happen but we “could” do it.

best I thought DP looked in his minutes.  

1 minute ago, mustache eagle said:

I think The 5 coming in next year will be bigger at every position other than the 5.  If Wiley and DP actually come back, we’d have a very big and athletic team.

If Dunbar played 2, DP 3, Chuma 4 and Wiley 5 - that would be a physical team with solid size.  Won’t happen but we “could” do it.

best I thought DP looked in his minutes.  

Dunbar is a senior unfortunately.

We've now lost to the best 4 teams we've played this year.  Before the season began, right up to finishing #2 in Maui, our current situation would have been considered a "worst case scenario", extremely unlikely to occur.  Yet here we are.

We are soft.  We have no offensive purpose.  We take terrible shots.  We are undersized.  We lost 3 players to transfer last year that could form the core of an NCAA tournament team.

I say give Danjel more and more playing time, because unless we get a shot in the arm from somebody, we're in for a bad season.

Could Bruce produce a season as disappointing as Gus did?  Two months ago, I would have never even considered it a possibility.  Now I'm not so sure.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wiley is a big man with bad legs/feet.  Once these trends start with big men, they tend to get worse over time, not better.

The Tenn. teams were not big height wise but they were very powerful players. They looked like they had been in the weight room and put on some meat. ideally we would like the new Generation 5. 6'10 - 7' Wiry strong, very athletic, shot block, who can rebound and shoot the outside shot. Next best choice is same type player who doesn't hit the three. Basically a game changing rebounding, defensive player. Till we get a player like that we have to work with what we have which is a talented bunch of players. 

Currently offensively when we move the ball we get good shots. At times we are very fluid but every game we have periods where our guards quit moving the ball and just dribble. I could live with that periodically if they did it and brought their man outside then drove the lane to  go to the rim, shoot a tear drop, drop a pass to the 4 or 5 for a dunk, or pass out to an open three. The problem is when our guards dribble it doesn't seem to have a purpose and just eats the shot clock and we force a bad shot. or we lose the ball. You do that 10 times a game you are probably giving up 10-12 points offensively and probably the same defensively as other team gets a fast break basket.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

This seems a little extreme. We do not have 1 loss to a bad team on our resume. What makes you think we would not make the ncaa tourney?

Lots of 50/50 games left. Is the likelihood AU makes the tournament greater than missing it? Yes. But it’s not out of the realm of possibility depending on which way the team goes mentally. 

I missed most of the game. Saw the last 7 minutes of the first half and the first 10 minutes of second. I had to leave and felt like we would lose by 20+. I’m shocked we made it close and scored 53 points in the second half. Refs were hammering our ass the first half. 

I don’t know if Pearl was utilizing the run and gun approach at UT, but from what I guess, he’s subscribed to the same system as the Houston Rockets, but they realized you also need some guys who are rebounding monsters (that are agile) like Capela and Nene (formerly Luc Moute). The roster is partially stuck between that philosophy and some weird mid 2000s system where you have strong undersized 4s and 5s that aren’t very good at shooting at all and aren’t adept rebounders. The best thing Pearl could do if he plans on keeping this style of play is getting a guy that at least has the same philosophy as KAT, Joel or AD (not necessarily just as good a prospect) 

i dont think we’re ever gonna be the bigger team or more physical OVERALL, so we at least have to be the more accurate and quicker. UK looked faster quite often, and couldn’t miss from the post or off the pick. We rarely even set good picks imo 

16 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t know if Pearl was utilizing the run and gun approach at UT, but from what I guess, he’s subscribed to the same system as the Houston Rockets, but they realized you also need some guys who are rebounding monsters (that are agile) like Capela and Nene (formerly Luc Moute). The roster is partially stuck between that philosophy and some weird mid 2000s system where you have strong undersized 4s and 5s that aren’t very good at shooting at all and aren’t adept rebounders. The best thing Pearl could do if he plans on keeping this style of play is getting a guy that at least has the same philosophy as KAT, Joel or AD (not necessarily just as good a prospect) 

i dont think we’re ever gonna be the bigger team or more physical OVERALL, so we at least have to be the more accurate and quicker. UK looked faster quite often, and couldn’t miss from the post or off the pick. We rarely even set good picks imo 

This is Pearls 11th season as a SEC coach. His teams have averaged 80 ppg 6 of those 11 seasons. This years team is his highest scoring team to date at the power 5 level. We are averaging 84 ppg. The year he went to the Elite 8 at UT they averaged 73 ppg. He tweaks his system to the players he has to work with. But ideally what you are seeing is how he wants to play. THE PROBLEM IS. We are missing Mustapha badly. We need a guy who when the games slow down can go get a shot at the rim/fouled and blow by his man anytime he wants. That kind of game travels better than shooters. 3 point shots are hard to come by on the road. 

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

We've now lost to the best 4 teams we've played this year.  Before the season began, right up to finishing #2 in Maui, our current situation would have been considered a "worst case scenario", extremely unlikely to occur.  Yet here we are.

We are soft.  We have no offensive purpose.  We take terrible shots.  We are undersized.  We lost 3 players to transfer last year that could form the core of an NCAA tournament team.

I say give Danjel more and more playing time, because unless we get a shot in the arm from somebody, we're in for a bad season.

Could Bruce produce a season as disappointing as Gus did?  Two months ago, I would have never even considered it a possibility.  Now I'm not so sure.

Purifoy is a one dimensional offensive player from what I recall.  He would not help with the hacking up random 3s issue we have. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is Pearls 11th season as a SEC coach. His teams have averaged 80 ppg 6 of those 11 seasons. This years team is his highest scoring team to date at the power 5 level. We are averaging 84 ppg. The year he went to the Elite 8 at UT they averaged 73 ppg. He tweaks his system to the players he has to work with. But ideally what you are seeing is how he wants to play. THE PROBLEM IS. We are missing Mustapha badly. We need a guy who when the games slow down can go get a shot at the rim/fouled and blow by his man anytime he wants. That kind of game travels better than shooters. 3 point shots are hard to come by on the road. 

This. We need a guy who can get down low and FINISH. Time and again this game wed blow by Kentuckys man only to get our shot blocked or altered near the rim. Herron was explosive AND strong. 

41 minutes ago, alexava said:

I missed most of the game. Saw the last 7 minutes of the first half and the first 10 minutes of second. I had to leave and felt like we would lose by 20+. I’m shocked we made it close and scored 53 points in the second half. Refs were hammering our ass the first half. 

Wasn’t just the first half.

officials were terrible in general for the entire game

5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

This. We need a guy who can get down low and FINISH. Time and again this game wed blow by Kentuckys man only to get our shot blocked or altered near the rim. Herron was explosive AND strong. 

UK looked bigger and faster......much quicker reactions around the basket, especially on missed shots.   They outscored us 38-24 in the paint.  Our second half shooting accuracy was off the charts which made it a great game. 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dunbar is a senior unfortunately.

That’s a wish list for this year unfortunately DP won’t earn a starter and Dunbar won’t play the 2 or overcome Samir and bb 

Archived