Men vs. South Carolina game thread

WarTiger

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

IMO, I think everyone bought in too much to the hype before the season and now they're seeing that it's gonna take a lot of hard work if they're gonna win like last year. Hope they wake up soon and we start playing like a team that I know we can play like. It's amazing how we play well for about 3-5 minute stretches and then just go dumb after that until we get behind 10+ points.

Could be that the opposition has something to do with too.....our guys are not on the floor by themselves.....Basketball is a game of runs.....one team and then the other.....happens in most games and AU is no exception.    USCe was a bad matchup for AU with AW on the bench......guys did pretty well to keep it close with our only "big men" on the bench. ….and have a shot at winning.  WDE

4 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

So to you then, getting literally beat the heck up and then on the other end, not be able to breathe on a defender in the first half, we should just be so good that we over come it no matter what?  There were many times our guys would literally move their hands back to try to ensure the ref wouldn’t call a b.s foul. We are a pretty good team which is why even with the 2 bigs fouling out laughably, have a chance to win the game. 

Bro, I get you're going to defend this team regardless, but great teams don't go down by double digits in the second half to South Carolina. I don't care about refs or anything else, we shouldn't have even given the Refs a chance to dictate this game. We're the better team.

1 minute ago, auburntiger1987 said:

We lost key pieces from last year and played two teams that are physical without Wiley and lost by one possession each. 

Yup. And last 8 minutes I think of this one we literally did not have a center available to us when their strength is their bigs. Damn. 

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree 100%! When we're making 3s is great to watch. I've long been saying that we need a plan B when the 3s are not dropping. We barely get to the FT! Drive the freaking ball! I'm not saying go away from what we do with shooting 3s but i can't stand when Bryce is dribbling FOREVER like an And One video. Yeah it's nice when he hits those pull up 3s but that's not going to work against the better teams. Plus we don't rebound well either. This team better figure it out quick!

That is the thing we cannot consistently. Especially against a good defensive team in South Carolina. That is why we miss Heron so much. Him paired with Harper and Brown 2 great three point shooters is deadly. We have no guy who can take it to the rim and score anytime he wants. We shoot so many threes because we cannot get past our man. Harper can blow by his man but he is always going to struggle to score at the rim for obvious reasons. 

2 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

We lost key pieces from last year and played two teams that are physical without Wiley and lost by one possession each. 

still lost and excuses don't cut it....not making the ncaa is now a real possibility

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I hope Okoro is an aggressive driver

He needs to be a lot more aggressive. He got blocked a few times tonight but i'd like to see him down on the block more turning inside for a short jump hook or shot. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is the thing we cannot consistently. Especially against a good defensive team in South Carolina. That is why we miss Heron so much. Him paired with Harper and Brown 2 great three point shooters is deadly. We have no guy who can take it to the rim and score anytime he wants. We shoot so many threes because we cannot get past our man. Harper can blow by his man but he is always going to struggle to score at the rim for obvious reasons. 

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Road games are tough to come by no matter who you play. Rarely are we going to find games on the road to be as easy as last week vs TAMU. They are truly awful. South Carolina can beat anyone at home. They are 5-1 in conference for a reason. Yah we are the better team and should of won but fluky stuff happens on the road. The narrative of this season will be a lot different once we get to our 3 game home stand after saturday. All the road losses are having people freak out. I admit I would be as well if this were football. But it is not. I believe in Bruce unlike Gus and know he will get this ship sailing in the right direction soon. Having said that. I am Expecting a loss saturday. It is going to get really out of control around here after that but we SHOULD *knock on wood* sweep that 3 game home stand. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Personally, i miss Murray more. He was big time getting key rebounds and putbacks for us. Plus he gave us a ton of energy. Herron is missed but i think we have enough scorers. We need so "glue guys" to hit the boards of those 3 point misses. Murray also brought great energy and leadership. I think we should but Okeke down low and feed him. Let him pass out to the shooters. Harper and Brown can drive the ball...they just don't. 

USCe has beaten Florida, MSU, Mizz and Vandy...…..bit quite as bad team as some folks seem to think.   Their losses were mostly early...

Also we see now why Purifoy butt was parked on the bench since he came back. He is just un playable right now. He needed a full non conference slate to get him back to where he was before the year and plus suspension. He is a shell of his former self. 

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Bro, I get you're going to defend this team regardless, but great teams don't go down by double digits in the second half to South Carolina. I don't care about refs or anything else, we shouldn't have even given the Refs a chance to dictate this game. We're the better team.

My opinion, talent is there, mindset is not. Having a back court like Jared and Bryce, with their experience, with Wiley (before the past 2 games) and Mac and DP back, plus doughty. This team should be top 10. Not preparing to fall out of the top 25

4 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Personally, i miss Murray more. He was big time getting key rebounds and putbacks for us. Plus he gave us a ton of energy. Herron is missed but i think we have enough scorers. We need so "glue guys" to hit the boards of those 3 point misses. Murray also brought great energy and leadership. I think we should but Okeke down low and feed him. Let him pass out to the shooters. Harper and Brown can drive the ball...they just don't. 

lol I am not getting in to discussing murray. I have been down that right already this past weekend. He averaged 9 and 6 in sec play. Better than I thought but Herons game traveled well and he was just flat out better. He could put the ball on the floor and get to the rim vs anybody. Samir has been abysmal in conference play. He has been exposed.

JMO but Heron and Murray are gone and not gonna be back so moaning about that is a waste of time.  

Consider that we got DP back who was not here last season.    Unfortunately. ..I was disappointed with DP again tonight when he had lots of playing time and a chance to step up and earn more minutes at a crucial time.    .     Aside from one good defensive effort he was  mostly just wandering around on defense and not assertive on offense.   

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

My opinion, talent is there, mindset is not. Having a back court like Jared and Bryce, with their experience, with Wiley (before the past 2 games) and Mac and DP back, plus doughty. This team should be top 10. Not preparing to fall out of the top 25

DP has been horrible and we got screwed he had to miss 9 more games. Samir has been so bad in conference play. We were more talented last season. But it was nice having Wiley back. We will miss his big body.

Everything you've said I agree with Mav. Can I call you Mav? I'm gonna call you Mav 😂

lol I am not getting in to discussing murray. I have been down that right already this past weekend. He averaged 9 and 6 in sec play. Better than I thought but Herons game traveled well. He could put the ball on the floor and get to the rim vs anybody. Samir has been abysmal in conference play. He has been exposed.

Remembering back, it felt like Murray had some rough stretches, but that’s just what I remember. Losing heron hurt, losing scorers hurts when you consistently give up 7-0 runs and can’t answer 

lol I am not getting in to discussing murray. I have been down that right already this past weekend. He averaged 9 and 6 in sec play. Better than I thought but Herons game traveled well. He could put the ball on the floor and get to the rim vs anybody. Samir has been abysmal in conference play. He has been exposed.

It's not all about numbers though. Kid made some clutch plays that didn't show up in the stats when we needed it in key moments. You need those guys in addition to those that can give you 15 to 20 a night. The small things often turn out to be big things in big games. 

Remembering back, it felt like Murray had some rough stretches, but that’s just what I remember. Losing heron hurt, losing scorers hurts when you consistently give up 7-0 runs and can’t answer 

It feels like on offense. Especially on the road it is Harper and Brown vs 5. Chuma has not taken a leap like we thought he would. I thought he would provide ample scoring to make up for heron transfer.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but Heron and Murray are gone and not gonna be back so moaning about that is a waste of time.  

Consider that we got DP back who was not here last season.    Unfortunately. ..I was disappointed with DP again tonight when he had lots of playing time and a chance to step up and earn more minutes at a crucial time.    .     Aside from one good defensive effort he was  mostly just wandering around on defense and not assertive on offense.   

Not whining about it. I'm just stating that you need guys that are willing to do the dirty work in addition to scoring. I don't see anyone especially a big that's doing that for us right now. Someone who is going to fiercely rebound. 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

It's not all about numbers though. Kid made some clutch plays that didn't show up in the stats when we needed it in key moments. You need those guys in addition to those that can give you 15 to 20 a night. The small things often turn out to be big things in big games. 

Thinking back, as I said to Gwill, Murray had stretches where he felt like a liability. This year we’re giving up runs and we can’t answer. He’s averaging 15 and 5 at ST Johns

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Thinking back, as I said to Gwill, Murray had stretches where he felt like a liability. This year we’re giving up runs and we can’t answer. He’s averaging 15 and 5 at ST Johns

He's not at St. Johns. That's Herron. Not talking about Herron.

Archived