Men vs. South Carolina game thread

WarTiger

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottom line for me is that we need to be more aggressive going to the basket. We rank at the bottom in the SEC only above Florida and Missouri on the number of FTs we take.

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He's not at St. Johns. That's Herron. Not talking about Herron.

I was talking about Herron. I’m saying we miss Herron way more than we miss Murray. Would you rather have a guy that can give you stretches of 9-6 or guy that consistently get you 15-5?

We need another scoring threat. If brown is not hitting 3s and Harper is not hitting 3s we are in trouble. We start every game like this. It goes back to Uab. 

We play “me” ball. Live by the 3 and die by the 3. And in between we foul and play terrible basketball. 

What happened to the team that played against Washington? Okeke with 19 points, Samir with 18 points. We were passing the ball with precision. 

3 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I don't think we're a tournament team.

We are on the bubble that is for sure. A few more like this and we are out. 

Sad part is that we have a ton of talent. It is just not gelling at all. 

The way this team is constructed we definitely miss Heron. He did the things Bryce can't and Bryce was the deadly opposite option sniper to pair with Harper. And I still think we miss Murray if for nothing else the fact that he crashed the boards every single time a shot went up. Was he a liability at times? He sure was. But we have more options this year that could've taken his spot in those games. We could've used both guys to be honest. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

We need another scoring threat. If brown is not hitting 3s and Harper is not hitting 3s we are in trouble. We start every game like this. It goes back to Uab. 

We play “me” ball. Live by the 3 and die by the 3. And in between we foul and play terrible basketball. 

What happened to the team that played against Washington? Okeke with 19 points, Samir with 18 points. We were passing the ball with precision. 

I just think we got complacent. It's the same team with the same talent, but not so much the same killer instincts. 

People saying SC was a bad match up for us need to take a look around the SEC. every team is a bad match up for us. We're soft and not that bright. 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I was talking about Herron. I’m saying we miss Herron way more than we miss Murray. Would you rather have a guy that can give you stretches of 9-6 or guy that consistently get you 15-5?

9-6 glue guy for this current team. We have enough scorers. Yes, Herron is nice but i didn't care for times where he went one on one. For this current team...yes give me Murray because as i stated...our issue isn't with scoring...it's with guys who can get us key rebounds...play solid defense on bigs and get on the floor for loose balls. It seems many have forgotten the key rebounds and offensive rebound putbacks Murray got in key games. Yes...he's gone and it is what it is. I'm just saying that it would be nice if someone else would step up on the team and have that same energy and intensity to do the dirty work because we're going to continue to shot 3s because that's who we are but when we're not hitting 3s we have to find ways that we can manufacture points. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

The way this team is constructed we definitely miss Heron. He did the things Bryce can't and Bryce was the deadly opposite option sniper to pair with Harper. And I still think we miss Murray if for nothing else the fact that he crashed the boards every single time a shot went up. Was he a liability at times? He sure was. But we have more options this year that could've taken his spot in those games. We could've used both guys to be honest. 

THANK YOU! This is the only point i'm trying to make! Stats don't always tell the story. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

I've been wondering about that also.....we played our best ball early in the season which is strange.....team should have improved as it played more games and become more accustomed to playing together.....but seems we've gone the other way.   

One problem if you looked at the game tonight or the UK game.....even our "big guys" are small by comparison....not sure Spencer is 6'8 or whatever but USCe had at least three guys who were bigger and bulkier and could just control the paint..     Even with the questionable officiating,  all our guys could do was foul to try and stop Silva and the other two.   We can fuss about all the 3 point shots but we don't have anyone who is strong enough to go to the hoop and take no prisoners in the process. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

9-6 glue guy for this current team. We have enough scorers. Yes, Herron is nice but i didn't care for times where he went one on one. For this current team...yes give me Murray because as i stated...our issue isn't with scoring...it's with guys who can get us key rebounds...play solid defense on bigs and get on the floor for loose balls. It seems many have forgotten the key rebounds and offensive rebound putbacks Murray got in key games. Yes...he's gone and it is what it is. I'm just saying that it would be nice if someone else would step up on the team and have that same energy and intensity to do the dirty work because we're going to continue to shot 3s because that's who we are but when we're not hitting 3s we have to find ways that we can manufacture points. 

Again, my opinion. Murray was a major liability at times. Would I take him given our current situation? Absolutely, but if we could have one player back that left last year, I’m picking Herron 

6 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I just think we got complacent. It's the same team with the same talent, but not so much the same killer instincts. 

We look completely different. We basically shoot 3s and foul the other team. That is our plan. 

4 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Our issue is with scoring tho, when we give up 7-0 runs and can’t answer, we’re always battling from a hole. Herron took a lot of pressure off of Harper and brown

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Our issue is with scoring tho, when we give up 7-0 runs and can’t answer, we’re always battling from a hole. Herron took a lot of pressure off of Harper and brown

That happened last year too though. We just have not been able to dig ourselves out the holes we put ourselves in this year. That's a defensive issue. We let teams get out to quick starts against us. We also let teams get back into games when we're up big.  It was the same last year only last year we'd come out in the 2nd half and just blitz teams. I think our team defense is bad most times than not. We constantly get lost on switches and out of bounds plays. 

That happened last year too though. We just have not been able to dig ourselves out the holes we put ourselves in this year. That's a defensive issue. We let teams get out to quick starts against us. We also let teams get back into games when we're up big.  It was the same last year only last year we'd come out in the 2nd half and just blitz teams. I think our team defense is bad most times than not. We constantly get lost on switches out of bounds plays. 

I agree on your last point. On your first point if we let teams score but are dead cold scoring to start games especially , another player with scoring potential would help 

This team seems to be snakebit. Two close games wwe should have won. But in fairness, both KY and USC made their last shots and we didn't.

10 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That happened last year too though. We just have not been able to dig ourselves out the holes we put ourselves in this year. That's a defensive issue. We let teams get out to quick starts against us. We also let teams get back into games when we're up big.  It was the same last year only last year we'd come out in the 2nd half and just blitz teams. I think our team defense is bad most times than not. We constantly get lost on switches and out of bounds plays. 

We're not close to being as good on defense this year as opposed to last

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Again, my opinion. Murray was a major liability at times. Would I take him given our current situation? Absolutely, but if we could have one player back that left last year, I’m picking Herron 

Murray is a 6 ft 3 power forward. The nostalgia on him is one hell of a drug lol. Herons skillset is what we are most missing. I do not miss in conference play Murray getting rejected at the rim constantly and struggling to finish around the rim because of his size. 

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

We have enough shooters. What we do not have ONE SINGLE PERSON ON THIS TEAM is a guy with Herrons skillset. This is what this team is missing the most. A guy who does not need to rely on the 3 point shot to score. He also got to the line a good bit because he drove it a lot more than Harper and Brown.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We have enough shooters. What we do not have ONE SINGLE PERSON ON THIS TEAM is a guy with Herrons skillset. This is what this team is missing the most. A guy who does not need to rely on the 3 point shot to score. He also got to the line a good bit because he drove it a lot more than Harper and Brown.

You're telling me that Harper nor Brown can not drive to the basket get fouled or pitch it out to other shooters? We've seen it...they just don't do it. That's the problem with Harper and Brown...no they're not Herron but they don't have to be. If we even put SOME effort into driving to the basket it wouldn't be hard for us at times on offense. It's not that they can't b/c they can...they don't choose to do so. They shot the 3 so much b/c it's been successful most times. However, there have been games when Brown esp. drives the ball and gets fouled..broadcasters keep saying he needs to drive to the basket more. He's capable..no not like Herron but dude isn't some stiff like Steve Kerr who just can only spot up.

You're telling me that Harper nor Brown can not drive to the basket get fouled or pitch it out to other shooters? We've seen it...they just don't do it. That's the problem with Harper and Brown...no they're not Herron but they don't have to be. If we even put SOME effort into driving to the basket it wouldn't be hard for us at times on offense. It's not that they can't b/c they can...they don't choose to do so. 

Brown struggles to get past his man. That is why he dances all the time. Harper CAN yes. But because of his size it is difficult for him to finish consistently enough at the rim for it to be worth it. That is why we play the way we do. We miss a guy who can beat his man regardless of the defense off the dribble consistently. ANYWAYS we have lost 2 games by a combined 5 points. We will be fine. Bruce even warned us about this. Said we will not have a better record as last year because the sec is much tougher and I agree. Besides TAMU, Vandy and Georgia anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

This team has plenty of weapons to make a deep run in the tourney. we have enough scoring. They just need to put it all together. My team has always been UCONN growing up. The reasons we won those championships were b/c of good guard play and defense and rebound. There was not 3 guys scoring 15 - 20 points a game. This team needs to get after it defensively and rebound; scoring wouldn't be an issue if they did.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Brown struggles to get past his man. That is why he dances all the time. Harper CAN yes. But because of his size it is difficult for him to finish consistently enough at the rim for it to be worth it. That is why we play the way we do. We miss a guy who can beat his man regardless of the defense off the dribble consistently. ANYWAYS we have lost 2 games by a combined 5 points. We will be fine. Bruce even warned us about this. Said we will not have a better record as last year because the sec is much tougher and I agree. Besides TAMU, Vandy and Georgia anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

I can somewhat agree with that. I don't think Brown is all world by any means. Personally, i just think he settles for the 3s no matter what. He doesn't even try to get past his man. I agree that it's not time to hit the panic button. Hopefully, this will serve as a wake-up call that they need to bring their games from the start. These slow starts are a killer.

Archived