2020 Declared Democrats

Zeek

Let's look at and discuss the current group of candidates and who is most likely to win. Assuming the DNC doesn't conspire to rig their primaries, again... I kid I kid. Now I'm not a big scholar in democratic candidates but I'll try to give constructive comments and recommendations if I were a political advisor.

Cand1.PNG

Pete Buttigieg

Young, war veteran, a part of the LGBT community. Unfortunate last name, poor name recognition, small time politician, some might believe he's too young, being a married gay man likely would, and quite unfortunately, all but eliminate him from getting much support through the bible belt. Would not recommend promoting him if I were the Dems. Don't think that he could win the presidency.

Julian Castro

Younger, was on Obama's cabinet, home run hit for identity politics. Castro does not have a lot of "big time experience", was on Obama's cabinet, not a lot of name recognition. This would be an interesting choice because he does come from the Dem-Golden-Boy Obama's cabinet and he could really capitalize on what's going to be one of the core issues, immigration. Unfortunately, I think focusing so hard on "social justice" issues is actually a losing battle for the Dems; it drives up support amongst their coveted minority groups but it lacks the substance. We all know which bathroom you go in isn't near the top 20 issues facing the country.

John Dulaney

Has money, has a head start on most, not too old or too young, experience in business. However, in the world of "there should be no billionaires" it's not likely he'll gain much support. He just looks like the bad guy in a kids' movie that took away recess in order to build a tie shop or something silly. Wouldn't recommend him and I don't think he'll gain much traction nationally.

Tulsi Gabbard

Minority? Check. Young? Check. Attractive? Check. War veteran that is anti-war? Uhhh, check? Her past positions, if they're really her past positions and not her current hidden positions, on the LGBT community likely won't help. Not much name recognition and I'm not too sure of her positions but she would be in my "maybe" pile as the process really kicks into gear. If she's remotely moderate and intelligent she's a winner. 

Cand2.PNG

Kirsten Gillibrand

Interesting candidate really. She's good looking, a female, experienced, and a more moderate democrat. Really she sounds like a solid option but the fear would be that she isn't "radical" enough for the current swelling movement. Personally, she seems like a candidate that could actually stand a chance in the general election but she'll struggle mightily in the primaries.

Kamala Harris

Her record as a prosecutor is going to paint her as hypocritical. The announcement speech she gave and the implications she has made are surprisingly far left and seem to be appealing to the Dem-Soc crowd. I think attacking the failures of California as a state could hurt Kamala if approached correctly by Republicans. Dems have had almost full control over California and it's created a lot of problems with homeless rates, violent crime, unemployment, and more. There's a reason why people want to break California up to give their conservative population more of a voice. There's also a reason businesses are fleeing California in favor of Texas. I would not recommend backing Kamala, she would not defeat Trump in the electoral college. 

Elizabeth Warren

I'm going to be frank. Warren comes off as another Hillary Clinton. Mean old white lady acting "woke" to gather the intersectionality crowd. Her claim to Native American heritage was embarrassing to watch unfold. She's older and I think we need to move past the dinosaur candidates; do we really need people who can't restart their own computer? No. I know a lot of democrats have rose colored glasses when it comes to her but she's a miserable candidate and a guaranteed loser if nominated in the primaries. To poke fun at the Native American debacle, she ain't it chief.

Marianne Williamson

Hahahaha, go ahead.

Cand3.PNG

Andrew Yang

Nope, again, a universal basic income is yet another losing issue. Yang looks the part but the experience and platform won't carry him through.

Gillibrand and Gabbard are my "might have a chance" from the declared group. There are still many that are considered possible candidates but not declared yet. Name recognition is going to be huge and it almost doesn't matter if it's positive or negative attention, Trump proved this. Here are the potential candidates according to NPR.

Cand4.PNGcand5.PNGcand6.PNGcand7.PNG

Of that group I could see Joe Biden, Cory Booker, Bernie Sanders, John Kerry, Andrew Gillum, and Beto O'Rourke attempting to run for it. I wouldn't recommend any of them with maybe the exception of John Kerry. Beto and Andrew are popular but wouldn't be wise choices IMHO.

If the platform is socialized healthcare, socialized college, attacks on the 2nd amendment, relaxed immigration policies, and social justice than any Dem candidate will lose. There has to be a more reasonable centrist message to counter the wildness and facepalm-inducing attitudes and behavior of Trump.

Of that list, the sleeper here is Hickenlooper.  Very centrist candidate that could peel away a lot of disgruntled Republican votes from suburbia.

35 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Of that list, the sleeper here is Hickenlooper.  Very centrist candidate that could peel away a lot of disgruntled Republican votes from suburbia.

But, if I'm not mistaken he is gay so I doubt he would get very far.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Let's look at and discuss the current group of candidates and who is most likely to win. Assuming the DNC doesn't conspire to rig their primaries, again... I kid I kid. Now I'm not a big scholar in democratic candidates but I'll try to give constructive comments and recommendations if I were a political advisor.

Cand1.PNG

Pete Buttigieg

Young, war veteran, a part of the LGBT community. Unfortunate last name, poor name recognition, small time politician, some might believe he's too young, being a married gay man likely would, and quite unfortunately, all but eliminate him from getting much support through the bible belt. Would not recommend promoting him if I were the Dems. Don't think that he could win the presidency.

Julian Castro

Younger, was on Obama's cabinet, home run hit for identity politics. Castro does not have a lot of "big time experience", was on Obama's cabinet, not a lot of name recognition. This would be an interesting choice because he does come from the Dem-Golden-Boy Obama's cabinet and he could really capitalize on what's going to be one of the core issues, immigration. Unfortunately, I think focusing so hard on "social justice" issues is actually a losing battle for the Dems; it drives up support amongst their coveted minority groups but it lacks the substance. We all know which bathroom you go in isn't near the top 20 issues facing the country.

John Dulaney

Has money, has a head start on most, not too old or too young, experience in business. However, in the world of "there should be no billionaires" it's not likely he'll gain much support. He just looks like the bad guy in a kids' movie that took away recess in order to build a tie shop or something silly. Wouldn't recommend him and I don't think he'll gain much traction nationally.

Tulsi Gabbard

Minority? Check. Young? Check. Attractive? Check. War veteran that is anti-war? Uhhh, check? Her past positions, if they're really her past positions and not her current hidden positions, on the LGBT community likely won't help. Not much name recognition and I'm not too sure of her positions but she would be in my "maybe" pile as the process really kicks into gear. If she's remotely moderate and intelligent she's a winner. 

Cand2.PNG

Kirsten Gillibrand

Interesting candidate really. She's good looking, a female, experienced, and a more moderate democrat. Really she sounds like a solid option but the fear would be that she isn't "radical" enough for the current swelling movement. Personally, she seems like a candidate that could actually stand a chance in the general election but she'll struggle mightily in the primaries.

Kamala Harris

Her record as a prosecutor is going to paint her as hypocritical. The announcement speech she gave and the implications she has made are surprisingly far left and seem to be appealing to the Dem-Soc crowd. I think attacking the failures of California as a state could hurt Kamala if approached correctly by Republicans. Dems have had almost full control over California and it's created a lot of problems with homeless rates, violent crime, unemployment, and more. There's a reason why people want to break California up to give their conservative population more of a voice. There's also a reason businesses are fleeing California in favor of Texas. I would not recommend backing Kamala, she would not defeat Trump in the electoral college. 

Elizabeth Warren

I'm going to be frank. Warren comes off as another Hillary Clinton. Mean old white lady acting "woke" to gather the intersectionality crowd. Her claim to Native American heritage was embarrassing to watch unfold. She's older and I think we need to move past the dinosaur candidates; do we really need people who can't restart their own computer? No. I know a lot of democrats have rose colored glasses when it comes to her but she's a miserable candidate and a guaranteed loser if nominated in the primaries. To poke fun at the Native American debacle, she ain't it chief.

Marianne Williamson

Hahahaha, go ahead.

Cand3.PNG

Andrew Yang

Nope, again, a universal basic income is yet another losing issue. Yang looks the part but the experience and platform won't carry him through.

Gillibrand and Gabbard are my "might have a chance" from the declared group. There are still many that are considered possible candidates but not declared yet. Name recognition is going to be huge and it almost doesn't matter if it's positive or negative attention, Trump proved this. Here are the potential candidates according to NPR.

Cand4.PNGcand5.PNGcand6.PNGcand7.PNG

Of that group I could see Joe Biden, Cory Booker, Bernie Sanders, John Kerry, Andrew Gillum, and Beto O'Rourke attempting to run for it. I wouldn't recommend any of them with maybe the exception of John Kerry. Beto and Andrew are popular but wouldn't be wise choices IMHO.

If the platform is socialized healthcare, socialized college, attacks on the 2nd amendment, relaxed immigration policies, and social justice than any Dem candidate will lose. There has to be a more reasonable centrist message to counter the wildness and facepalm-inducing attitudes and behavior of Trump.

Great post. Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

1) No, he's not gay.

2) It's a sad statement on America that it would even matter if he's gay or not with regards to qualifications for this job.

19 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's a sad statement on America that it would even matter if he's gay or not with regards to qualifications for this job.

Agreed.

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Get back to me in a year or so. ;D

Meanwhile, here's something to nosh on:

New Michigan Poll Indicates Democrats Could Beat Trump by Nominating Whomever the Heck They Want

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/michigan-2020-poll-trump-biden-sanders.html

Reminds me of this classic ;)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sam-wang-princeton-election-consortium-poll-hillary-clinton-donald-trump-victory-a7399671.html'

Survey finds Hillary Clinton has ‘more than 99% chance’ of winning election over Donald Trump

If ever there were a time for an independent candidate to win...both these parties need a timeout 

I like Beto, Brown, Biden, Klobuchar, and Warren. But I think most of these people could win, if they run a solid campaign. Trump got lucky that the Dems ran the only person more universally despised than him. If they can somehow make election day a federal holiday, I don't even think it'll be close anymore. 

18 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I like Beto, Brown, Biden, Klobuchar, and Warren. But I think most of these people could win, if they run a solid campaign. Trump got lucky that the Dems ran the only person more universally despised than him. If they can somehow make election day a federal holiday, I don't even think it'll be close anymore. 

The federal holiday thing is interesting because I'd love to know what swing states/red states McConnell is worried about protecting.  The Republican candidate has lost the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 elections, so that's not the problem.  It's all about suppressing votes in certain states, but I can't quite put my finger on which ones.

Kudos on the post.

Likes: Sanders, Biden, Warren, Gillibrand, Harris. I would like some of the younger folks just as well. I am not married to old people. 

Nopes: Bloomberg, Kerry, Booker, DeBlasio, Holder, McAuliffe.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:12 PM, Proud Tiger said:

I mean, he could be closeted, but he was married to a woman and had a child, divorced in 2014 and remarried another woman in 2016.  Where'd you hear this?

Of that list I could only see myself seriously considering Biden, Yang, maybe Klobuchar right now.  But I don't know enough about some of the others.

If a pro-life Democrat ever got through a primary, I'd be on that train in a heartbeat.  The GOP needs a complete overhaul after this Trump disaster.

Gonna take a  three page ballot for the Dem primary in the early states if this keeps up. 

Each day another presumptive candidate steps forward to make the ego trip of getting time from the major networks. 

Expect the dems will recall how the GOP messed up with sixteen "clones" trying to gain the nomination and let the eventual winner get there with minority support.  Likely the power base of HC and a few others will find ways to discourage most of them from even forming a committee. 

Archived