Pendulum begins swing away from death penalty

Tiger Al

Death penalty cases need to be held to a higher standard - in terms of DNA and other scientific evidence.  But it does not need to be removed as a punishment.  If someone hurt Katie, and DNA said he did it, then I would personally push the button.  Key word - DNA.  These days, they can get DNA from a 5 bajillion year old dinosaur bone - don't tell me that the DNA evidence that is shown is court is not a sound basis for the death penalty. 

I always laugh at how many people on death row that claim they are innocent stop talking very quickly when they are offered a DNA re-test with today's testing methods, which become more and more technologically advanced every day.  If I were innocent, you damn right I would be screaming for DNA testing to prove it.

I also submit that if OJ were tried today, he would be found guilty - back then DNA testing was a totally new thing, and no one really understood it.  So Cochran tried the "Baffle them with BS" defense, and it worked.  Today's juries are more sophisticated in that EVERYONE knows that DNA is yours and yours alone, just like a fingerprint.

156174[/snapback]

Looks like you fell for my "fearmongering" man's vengence tactic.

Like I said before, to all of you naysayers, if its your kid it happens to, you'll not have any problem pushing the button on a "I'm innocent, the DNA evidence lied" poor little victim. Everybody wants to save the whale until the whale attacks the boat.

Like I said before, to all of you naysayers, if its your kid it happens to, you'll not have any problem pushing the button on a "I'm innocent, the DNA evidence lied" poor little victim.

That's where a less subjective society and its laws come into play.

If I caught someone raping my wife, my response is to tear him apart and render him unidentifiable, even to those who know him well. I would HAVE to rely on a more level-headed, less emotionally involved entity to intervene before I returned a wrong act with like kind. That entity is society and its laws.

Like I said before, to all of you naysayers, if its your kid it happens to, you'll not have any problem pushing the button on a "I'm innocent, the DNA evidence lied" poor little victim. Everybody wants to save the whale until the whale attacks the boat.

156556[/snapback]

And I could turn the same argument back on you: if you or someone you loved...your child, your brother or wife, etc...were wrongly accused of a capital crime through some clusterf*** of bad circumstances and an overzealous prosecutor, you'd want every angle available to you and a system without an itchy trigger finger.

I doubt you'd just move on if your kid was wrongly executed because, "Oh well, he shouldn't have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sometimes the innocent have to suffer to make sure we catch all the baddies."

if you or someone you loved...your child, your brother or wife, etc...were wrongly accused of a capital crime through some clusterf*** of bad circumstances and an overzealous prosecutor, you'd want every angle available to you and a system without an itchy trigger finger.

I doubt you'd just move on if your kid was wrongly executed because, "Oh well, he shouldn't have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sometimes the innocent have to suffer to make sure we catch all the baddies."

Thank you, TT!!! That has been on the tip of my tongue for a while but I refrained because it wouldn't have the same effect coming from me as it does coming from you.

Archived