Austin Wiley Injury Status

logan adams

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I wish I had everyone else's confidence that "we'll be fine". You don't lose a starter and a guy getting 20+ minutes a game and be fine. Add in the fact that we're now playing without our tallest player on an already undersized team ... I'm just hoping Wiley gets better quickly and comes back playing good basketball.

Thank you.....dude played excellent doing everything but scoring and people were complaining...now you're going to see what he was doing that made everybody else better

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I had everyone else's confidence that "we'll be fine". You don't lose a starter and a guy getting 20+ minutes a game and be fine. Add in the fact that we're now playing without our tallest player on an already undersized team ... I'm just hoping Wiley gets better quickly and comes back playing good basketball.

You’re right but on the other hand, we’ve been here before, and we have been better with McLemore in the lineup. It’s the fact that we have to adjust to something that we’ve done before and have done a lot this season too so that’s why the worry isn’t as bad. It’s not ideal but it’s not the worst thing that could happen

4 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

AU won the SEC title last year without him last season and have the 2 centers from that team still on the roster. I think that’s where the lack of total doom stems from. It’s definitely not the end of the world for this team

Exactly. Tough games today, at LSU, At MSU, and possibly Ole Miss without the big man. I’m not all chicken little, but this is a big hit to this team

But ok maybe I’m just wrong, as everyone is super confident Bruce Pearl should have benched our best pro prospect for McLemore this year and this is just gonna unleash another level for this team...if that’s the case, maybe Bruce isn’t as good a coach as I think he is /sarc

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

You’re right but on the other hand, we’ve been here before, and we have been better with McLemore in the lineup. It’s the fact that we have to adjust to something that we’ve done before and have done a lot this season too so that’s why the worry isn’t as bad. It’s not ideal but it’s not the worst thing that could happen

Having Wiley gives us another dimension that the teams have to strategize for. Wiley is a big post presence and draws double teams that can free up our three point shooters. That is gone, now, unless Chuma steps up his game and gets aggressive down in the post. I'm not even gonna mention how good he was on defense and affecting guards who drove in the lane on him. 

Just now, Gene Loblaw said:

AU won the SEC title last year without him last season and have the 2 centers from that team still on the roster. I think that’s where the lack of total doom stems from. It’s definitely not the end of the world for this team

We won the SEC title because Herron, Mitchell, and Murray were also on the team. It's amazing how quickly people forget that those 3 were huge catalysts to us winning.

Having Wiley gives us another dimension that the teams have to strategize for. Wiley is a big post presence and draws double teams that can free up our three point shooters. That is gone, now, unless Chuma steps up his game and gets aggressive down in the post. I'm not even gonna mention how good he was on defense and affecting guards who drove in the lane on him. 

We won the SEC title because Herron, Mitchell, and Murray were also on the team. It's amazing how quickly people forget that those 3 were huge catalysts to us winning.

McCormick becomes Mitchell

Purifoy becomes Murray

Doughty becomes Heron.

Some of them are not exact matches but we replaced those guys with talented players is all I’m saying. We will see come game time how we adjust. I think you’ll see us operate very similarly to last season. Look for Horace to step up today with some blocks. 

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Mitchell becomes McCormick

Purifoy becomes Murray

Doughty becomes Heron.

Some of them are not exact matches but we replaced those guys with talented players is all I’m saying. We will see come game time how we adjust. I think you’ll see us operate very similarly to last season. Look for Horace to step up today with some blocks. 

Sorry but until I see Purifoy actually play more than 8 minutes in a game you can NOT compare him with Murray. He has all the talent in the world but I haven't seen him play at the level in 2 years. And Doughty is nowhere near as good as Heron was. I'm not complete doom and gloom but I'm also not gonna come in here and say it's all fine when one of our better player goes down. 

Sorry but until I see Purifoy actually play more than 8 minutes in a game you can NOT compare him with Murray. He has all the talent in the world but I haven't seen him play at the level in 2 years. And Doughty is nowhere near as good as Heron was. I'm not complete doom and gloom but I'm also not gonna come in here and say it's all fine when one of our better player goes down. 

Not the best day to be playing UK....but at AU.....hope the home crowd is worth the difference....

Im sorry, but this is a BIG deal. Even if Wiley were just a warm body down low to put it in to get some rebounds and fouls, it would matter. That's not what he is by a longshot. Will see how we do without him, but regardless, this isnt to be scoffed at.

Yeah this stinks big time for Wiley. Hope he can get back in action soon. It’s a big injury but it’s not losing Mac last year big

meanwhile...bama has taken a 3 point lead over UT...

20 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I’m not saying they’re the same thing but I’m saying we didn’t just up and lose all of that production, we replaced a lot of it with more than capable guys. I certainly think it’s a big deal to lose a guy like Wiley but I’m saying I think there are ways to fight on without him. We’ll just have to adjust, and we’ve done that part of things before. 

48 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Agreed. Purifoy and Murray are not even comparable due to their style differences imo. Purifoy, though a good scorer, is soft as s*** and a guy who just likes to chunk up jump shots. Murray was a defensive and rebounding badass who was a physical presence. Hes a guy we really couldve used in a game like this. 

1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

But ok maybe I’m just wrong, as everyone is super confident Bruce Pearl should have benched our best pro prospect for McLemore this year and this is just gonna unleash another level for this team...if that’s the case, maybe Bruce isn’t as good a coach as I think he is /sarc

You're not wrong

Man you dudes are hilarious. Last year when we played with just mc we also had two other staters we don't have now. The things they did NOBODY has replaced why on Earth would you expect same results with a team missing two other staters? If you were making a cake but substituted sugar and salt for two different ingredients you really think the cake is going to be same?

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Man you dudes are hilarious. Last year when we played with just mc we also had two other staters we don't have now. The things they did NOBODY has replaced why on Earth would you expect same results with a team missing two other staters? If you were making a cake but substituted sugar and salt for two different ingredients you really think the cake is going to be same?

It's pretty clear this team desperately misses Heron right now. He could shoot 3s but also attack the basket from outside, which no one seems able to replicate. I didn't think losing the 6'3 Murray would be as big of a deal, but he scrapped harder than most. 

We miss him already. I’m not even sure what the debate is about, you kidding me?? Dude is a 6’10” potential NBA 1st round pick. You know how many of those are out there? You know how many of those we’ve even had in our entire basketball program history? We win with him available yesterday, simple as that. Won’t be the only loss with him out too. Cost us a SEC title as far as I’m concerned. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Stress fracture on his other foot now. 

Weird. JGT said yesterday it was a continual injury & not a new one. I assumed that meant the same foot.

5 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

We miss him already. I’m not even sure what the debate is about, you kidding me?? Dude is a 6’10” potential NBA 1st round pick. You know how many of those are out there? You know how many of those we’ve even had in our entire basketball program history? We win with him available yesterday, simple as that. Won’t be the only loss with him out too. Cost us a SEC title as far as I’m concerned. 

It's wild. If I criticized Brown down through to one of the walk ons it's hell to pay. The way this dude has impacted the team and the way they talk bad about him lol

Archived